Clear Coat Chrome Rims

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
There is a thread on here somewhere about parts rusting when we live on the coast. I'm about 1 air mile from the ocean. My rims, front and back, almost new, are starting to rust. Just a couple of little spots here and there.

My solution is to have them clear coated with automobile clear coat. It should work right? Both sides and spokes will be done.

I also just ordered some white wall tires for Big Red. I had the Monark Forks chromed and am thinking of clear coat for them also.

What do you guys think?

Terry

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Don't forget the ol' cola and tinfoil trick(shiny side out) to get rid of the rust first. :p Could even do the discs on Big Red, just go easy till the pads eat off the clear. Hmm, would that ruin the pads I wonder?

Definitely wouldn't want to do that with rim brakes :eek:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Well, any paint clear coat which dont have colorpigments in it, would fade/discolor over shorter time than with pigments. The environment/UV would break it down. Remember the thing who is ment to close paint (at least the newer "waterbased") against environment is WAX!! Keep the paint waxed and clean, and it would keep up longer time.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Make sure to clean those rims with acetone or toluene just before you paint them since you have already waxed them, otherwise that clear coat is going to have a hard time sticking.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Fulltimer , make sure you find a clear coat that is formulated to be used on bare metal , in my experience it never stays on , your best option may be to have your rims powdercoated with clear (thats how gm,chrysler, ford an many others do it on aluminum wheels) its significantly more durable than any product you can apply with conventional spray equipment .
Gary