Cobra Cycles Flat Track Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been lurking on this site for almost a year or more now, and I thought you guys might be interested in seeing something from a new person. I bought one of those 4stroke kits and built a bike with that,(first photo) but soon got fed up with the lack of quality and how slow it was. So I decided to build my own. Over the past 6 months I have been building this in my kitchen (literally in my kitchen) and I just finished it today. It uses a gx200 clone with a cvt and has a top speed in the high 60's low 70's. On the test ride I let off the throttle around 65ish. I hope this can be a inspiration to a few people.

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have seen a lot of bikes on this forum but yours is by far the one of the best. That bike just ROCKS…you really did a nice job on everything. 65MPH now that’s my kind of speed….I somehow have to run down Bairdco's butt one day so I may need to find out that power-plant you have.
Again…such a nice bike…wow

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That's a awesome looking bike!! Very well done; but because of the many problems we've had here in the past of peoples crazy claims of top speed; I'd wanna see some proof before I believe it. ;)

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Don't kill yourself shooting a video. I doubt balloon bicycle tires were designed to go 50+mph. I would hate to think of what would happen to you and your bike if you had a blowout going that fast. If you are running 26" tires maybe a move to authentic vintage motorcycle 26" tires are in order. You can get them but I warn you, they are not cheap.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah the tires are my biggest concern at high speeds, But I don't think I will be going that fast very often. I think the next bike I build I will use real 26" motorcycle wheels and tires for safety's sake and it will look really authentic then. I might consider selling this one to fund the next build, but I have put so much work in to it I don't know if I can bring my self to do that.

culvercityclassic sent me a pm asking about the engine and ctv set up so i made a diagram and decided to post it for all of you to see. Sorry for the crudeness of it.

Attachments

Spaz_head

Sep 1, 2010
Canada
First I would like say congrats on such a nice looking bike. I really like the engine and clutch setup.
Question on the gx200 clone. It looks like you have tipped the motor up in a vertical position. Does this cause any problems with oil splash and lubrication.

With the pull start shroud removed how do you start the engine?

Very cool

Thanks

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Cool beans bike!

We just had a discussion about tipping one of those engines upright in the general section recently. Another member made a pretty good argument against it with concerns about proper oil level & slash- That scared me off a bit.

Would you say that yours runs hot in that position? I see you don’t have the fan shroud either.

Of course at those speeds you are getting some serious air cooling anyway! :)

-Kirk

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry I forgot to add that the 34T pedal sprocket is welded to a freewheel.
Also the engine is having no oiling issues, I was a little worried about this at first but I only payed about $80 for the engine so I figured why not. I do add more oil than recommend to make up the difference. The manual says to use half a quart but I use almost 1 quart maybe a little less. But I have had no cooling or oiling issues. Someone also asked how I start it., I just wrap some rope around the thing bolted to the flywheel and pull. I really couldn't stand the look of the fan shroud.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
That's a awesome looking bike!! Very well done; but because of the many problems we've had here in the past of peoples crazy claims of top speed; I'd wanna see some proof before I believe it. ;)
with a 200cc motor i don't really have any trouble believing a speed like that, now if he had said 90, that would be a different story (he would also be a nut)