Cut my muffler open...

GoldenMotor.com

OBX Fisherman

Jun 13, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Wondered whats inside my muffler so I cut the end of it off...

The inner baffle thing just fell out after I cut the end off, that's what was making the metallic ringing sound I heard when the engine was running!

I guess what the baffle does is split the canister into 3 sections. Gas expands into the the first chamber, then back into the tube where it ports out into the 2nd chamber, then back into the tube to travel to the 3rd chamber and then out. There's a pinch in the tube in the middle so the gas has to go out via the holes and back in. The welds inside this thing are terrible and the quality is awful, no fit & finish, no deburring on the parts.

Still have not figured out what the screw is for in the end!

I'm going to cut down my canister and make new baffles for a shorter muffler for my build.

Thought you may be interested in whats inside these things.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wondered whats inside my muffler so I cut the end of it off...

The inner baffle thing just fell out after I cut the end off, that's what was making the metallic ringing sound I heard when the engine was running!

I guess what the baffle does is split the canister into 3 sections. Gas expands into the the first chamber, then back into the tube where it ports out into the 2nd chamber, then back into the tube to travel to the 3rd chamber and then out. There's a pinch in the tube in the middle so the gas has to go out via the holes and back in. The welds inside this thing are terrible and the quality is awful, no fit & finish, no deburring on the parts.

Still have not figured out what the screw is for in the end!

I'm going to cut down my canister and make new baffles for a shorter muffler for my build.

Thought you may be interested in whats inside these things.
Looks a little different than my baffle....I'm a bit baffled!

rotfl