A 1938 Hiawatha named Orange Peel

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Bikers Choice Late Style Petcocks 90 Outlet (Right Spigot) 011413

$22.47 Free Freight on Amazon
Chrome-platedPetcocks with 22mm threads are available with OEM style straight outlet or custom 90 outlet75-Present Sportster,

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Well this is as far as I got before the 10pm silence cone decended. I may use these painted or find some brass straps. A supplyer was mentioned. Just like to get this one on the road. Details....
Maybe go to home center and get the copper water line clamps for now untill you can make the brass clamps........Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok cream is out killercanuck!

So I have painted the tank black. The white stripe mirrors the white accent marks on the F/R fenders.

Caught a bit of flack local for the quality of my paint work. But lets be clear, the white strip and its odd shape and a bit of over spray was done with intent.

The white lines and over spray match the shape and overspray that are on the original fenders. The tank was also taken out into a mist of rain while the paint was wet to add imperfections. Some scratches were added and I rubbed my dirty hands into the nearly dry white paint. The finished result is really close to what I was after.

Finished photos will be up shortly. The photo below shows just a bit of the painting process.

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
AWESOME! I realy like the color combo. I think you should change the handle bars though...........Curt
When I get the RMLL & POP (project orange peel) side by side you may see why I have the clubmans on both bikes. Two mounting positions are shown. POP has a low seat and up mount clubmans the style is bobber. Next to the RMLL it becomes more pronounced as the bars are down and the seat is up on RMLL.

What bars would you see on POP?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
When I get the RMLL & POP (project orange peel) side by side you may see why I have the clubmans on both bikes. Two mounting positions are shown. POP has a low seat and up mount clubmans the style is bobber. Next to the RMLL it becomes more pronounced as the bars are down and the seat is up on RMLL.

What bars would you see on POP?
Not sure maybe some crusser bars upside down. In the last picture they look to much like mountain bike bars..........Maybe its just me..........Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ya should have been there. Rat's Squadron blasting down the waterfront. That's all three of my time machine's and the white 29" 2 stroke. We are riding fast and the bikes are spooled up sounding much like an approaching WWII propeller driven aircraft.... we were staidly approaching the public dock where a pile of super bikers are always hanging out..... and then it was like the bottom of the tank fell out spewing a gas.... I sailed in between a parked cop and a crowd of peeps smelling like the Exon Valdez parking. Gas pouring off the engine I rolled to a stop in the mist of the superbikes... with the Rat fleet on my tail pipe, Crotch rocket pilot says " Wow! so this is the new thing?" to which I said, "excuse us we are experimental" and all had a good LOL.

Auto recovery, I took off on the RMLL that Sledge was ridding and a quick blast back to the shack grab the truck. Oh the trailer was on the truck so I had to go the long way back and double park in the street to recover OP. Sledge rode back keeping OP up right and the others well they found there own way back.

Lessons learned.... none.... still learning how to weld and this was my first ever attempt at an in frame tank. Hay it did hold gas for 3 days until the fuel bung fell off the bottom of the tank.

The tank will be soaked in acetone to remove the cream. Then it will be repaired and well the rest we all know..... Ride it like I stole it.... All screaming 3.5hp!

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Hey, I know you've been doing this for a lot longer than me, but why not go with contrasting shades of orange on that bike instead of black on orange?

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Hey, I know you've been doing this for a lot longer than me, but why not go with contrasting shades of orange on that bike instead of black on orange?
Actually my skills evolve with each build, in the past I have assembled with the parts as they arrive with intent of a ratty look.

The black on the tank was driven by the black and white fenders that arrived. I understand your concept and it would look really nice.

With this build I got to experience the failure of rattle can paint and gas. I have striped the tank. It is not yet painted.

This build has is the driving force behind my airbrush purchase. Why? Because I will now be painting tanks with model air plane paint. And the act of owning an air brush will be the cause of more detailed and painted builds in the future.

Finishing touches on the OP remain like lighting, but my main focus is now on the Puma Twin engine project.