new guy with pics.#1

GoldenMotor.com

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I thought i'd post pics of my 2 motorized bikes.
They both employ the standard china 2 stroke engine kits, but there are a lot of parts that I made from scratch.
here's my o.c.c. build.
The engine mount is an e-bay purchase, but I modified it slightly. I built the exhaust and used the stock muffler, but I cut the end of the muffler body off at an angle, and pushed a modified baffle up inside the muffler body.
the gas tank is from a jesse james west coast chopper bike and it's fully functional. I put a lot of work in the gas tank to make it functional, and I made a mount for it that's hidden.
I made the chrome carb stack out of the end of the muffler that I cut off.
the paint on the tank is high metallic sliver laquer, with clear laquer over it.
the engine is the typical 66 c.c. china 2 stroke.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Way cool dood Love it Didi you register it? Look like a straight up motor cycle I love it , How do you pedal like that? It must feel funny.

That carb cut out from the muffler looks tough I love it do you have a plasma cutter I want one soooo bad I can taste it

Now the head light is it battery or did you incorporate the sometimes 6~ volt white wire? That paint looks great wish I could see it closer

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
dude i want your tank!!!!!!!!
man i have a ton of work in that tank. I picked it up off e-bay for $10.00.
I had to solder up all the holes and seams on the bottom. I used silver solder and some tin, and then pressure tested it for leaks.
I ground down the big nasty weld that runs around the front of these tanks (see the pics.)
here's what i started with.

ground down the weld on the front of the tank, filled it with bondo and smoothed it out to slightly re-shape the front of the tank.

I made 2 gas outlets out of copper tubing and silver soldered them into the tank. I had to make 2 outlets because the way the tunnel is in the tank, there's no way for gas to get from one side of the tank to the other. I just ran 2 rubber lines out of the tank, to a T fitting, and then to a single in line petcock.
I cut a hole in the top of the tank for a gas cap. I made the gas cap out of a chrome push in oil cap for valve covers from autozone. I drilled a vent hole in the top of the cap, and covered it with a hollow backed pewter skull.

since i can only post 5 pics at a time, check my other post under this one.

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I actually painted this tank 2 times. the first time i painted it metallic black laquer. I had it on the bike for about a year, but decided to paint it silver this past summer to make it stand out a bit more.

here's another jesse james tank that i did, but this one was non functional because it went on a non motorized bike.
I did the same thing with the weld on this tank, but painted it metallic orange laquer.

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thats a great lookin chop, I hope you have no trouble with the outlets on that tank I silver soldered mine on my tank an the vibes worked them loose I had to weld nuts to the tank an use modded brake line to keep them from self destructing.
Gary

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Thats a great lookin chop, I hope you have no trouble with the outlets on that tank I silver soldered mine on my tank an the vibes worked them loose I had to weld nuts to the tank an use modded brake line to keep them from self destructing.
Gary
I don't know, but i did this tank about 2 years ago and so far, no leaks.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
the steel that these tanks are made out of is actually really heavy gauge. the bad part is that they aren't the highest quality things made.
the welding is ok, but not the best and there are mounting holes in the bottom, as well as unwelded seams that have big gaps on the lower edges where the top and bottom of the tank come together. judging from what i've seen, these tanks are made from 3 separate peices of steel which are welded together by machine.
there are also imperfections in the steel (dents and pits) that can easily be fixed with bondo.
if you have the tools, and the ability to make one of these functional, it really isn't that hard...just time consuming.
I wanted something different than the standard engine kit gas tank, and the jesse james tank is a design i really liked. the standard kit tanks look terrible on o.c.c. bikes in my opinion. I haven't seen anyone else use one for this purpose...yet.

Last edited:

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
i agree with you, they could come up with some better looking gas tanks or an option to buy a different fuel tank... but you always see the same old tank no matter what kit you buy... very lame...

but your tank breaks the mold... again awesome job...

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
I am just about done with a tank just like this . I thought i would be the first for building this tank until i found this post good job on the tank and i will post pics of mine when its done only have to powder coat and its done .

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
actually my tank needs a new paint job. the silver is the 2nd paint job i've done to it but i want to re-paint it again.