Thoughts on the "slant plug head"

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I might be time to get into home built airplanes. There is a guy there in Fl. name of Wayne Williams he does corvair engine conversions for home builts I haven't played with these but I 'm sure there's machine work involved with them as well. EAA has a big airshow in Fl. every year I attended it once the year a pilot flipped a Hawker Seafury over on it back taxiing in from his performance broke his neck killed him on the spot wasn't a pretty site I seen it happen. I can't remember the name of the town its between Tampa and Orlando Fl. I had a good time even with the airshow accident I'd meet the pilot at Oshkosh a few years earlier, I this his name as Charley Hillard but I'm not sure any more been a few years since I attended an air show seems there is always wrecks and some one getting killed. I kind of lost interest after a few of my buddies died in plane crashes. I hardly fly my airplane any more.
Norman

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Norman,

I forgot to answer your question...

Both the Fisher Buggies Funny Car, and the B.R.E. Rail fall into the unlimited VW Drag racing class. Run what you got. For me it's the only way I'll get involved in drag racing. Otherwise it's boring!

The bore on the Pauter is 4.25" The B.R.E. is 4.125-4.155 depending on how bad we "balloon" a sleeve.

The valves in the Fisher Buggies Pauter engine are 2.120 Intake and 1.850 Exhaust. The B.R.E is 2" Intake & 1.800 Exhaust.

Both of these engines are forced induction...The Fisher Buggies Pauter is Turbo Charged and electronically fuel injected using Alcohol with Nitrous. The Turbo boost runs from 30-50psi.

The B.R.E. Rail has a Littlefield 4-71 Blower, and is mechanically fuel injected. It has twin mallory mags...2 plugs per cylinder. Max boost is 22-25 psi.

I prefer the B.R.E. set-up...It makes a ton of HP.

Jim

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I might be time to get into home built airplanes. There is a guy there in Fl. name of Wayne Williams he does corvair engine conversions for home builts I haven't played with these but I 'm sure there's machine work involved with them as well. EAA has a big airshow in Fl. every year I attended it once the year a pilot flipped a Hawker Seafury over on it back taxiing in from his performance broke his neck killed him on the spot wasn't a pretty site I seen it happen. I can't remember the name of the town its between Tampa and Orlando Fl. I had a good time even with the airshow accident I'd meet the pilot at Oshkosh a few years earlier, I this his name as Charley Hillard but I'm not sure any more been a few years since I attended an air show seems there is always wrecks and some one getting killed. I kind of lost interest after a few of my buddies died in plane crashes. I hardly fly my airplane any more.
Norman
Lakeland...That's the event between Tampa and Orlando. I've been approached many times over the years to do custom parts for experimental aircraft...I always worried I would be part of a huge lawsuit, whether I was at fault or not! Risky stuff from a legal standpoint.

Jim

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
Warning: this is a noob question!
Why can't you just weld a small piece of metal into the stock head to decrease its volume and increase compression?
I'm looking for the cheapest upgrades possible.

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
I used to fly as a private pilot. Looked over them VW based airplane engines. On a real 4 cyl opposed airplane engine the cylinders are threaded and screw into the block. The VW based engine doesn't.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The possible piston blow by on my High com slant head might have blown my seals. I spent some time looking for a vacuum leak Denial setting in . The seal on my chain drive side was soaked in oil. Found it with the carb spray. It was easy to find. My take after only 2000 miles. Chinas 2 smokes are not race engines. The j shaft kit held up real well. I ran a tuned pipe. It had lots of rev to it. At times I though it was going to explode. It was fun Now I Don't Know What To Think of it. Time for a morini bet no modes what so ever twice as strong as a china for hp, bet it goes 15000 miles on a whim!! I got a spare china sitting here will have it put on in about two more hours. Thinking bout a lower comp head now . Maybe it was just my luck ? Well for luck sake I got a morini and pipe coming from Pipe Line.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Goat,

The crankcase gasket failed at the point shown in the graphic below.

These engines have a very thin crankcase...this is what prompted me to make a new set of cases.
The morini is a good engine.

The graphic shows a modified design that will use O-ring material for a seal. Combining a precision machined surface with an O-ring, will guartantee that the cases stay sealed.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well I will clean it up there for a better look. I plan on pressurizing to about 5 psi. Bring on the soap bubbles. Its not fun when a prized toy breaks. I did about 95% of my swap over to the replacement motor . It gets its maiden voyage in the morning. With my ho made teinsoners I added to the jackshaft , and trip back to the shop where my welder was . I had enough for one day. LOL I wanna build something nice and not work on it!