Finaly got her running! A new problem that can wait...

GoldenMotor.com

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
So Yes, I finaly got her running/ As someone had said if the clutch was too tight it would not send a spark. I had previously cut a new bucking bar because I had lost mine. This was the oly thing I had not yet tried so I went in there and popped it off. Skidded her down a k=hill and kicked the pedal and started going. had to mess with the choke a minute and suddenly she came alive! Such a great feeling.

Thanks everyone

So my new problem is that I guess its call a fork... is loose and the threads are all stripped. I can ride it fine its just annoying. And I didn't know if this is something I can replace and add a part that has suspension or not.

I think I successfully attached a few pictures. one is just the motorized bicycle engine on my trek antelope. The Motor fit fine which was nice. But the other picture is my problem!

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Mon! Glad you got her going!

LOL, now the bummer part. Ya should not even ride her as a bike like that! She gonna go st8 when you wanna go any where else. Aside from a tree or on coming traffic. almost as bad is the "face Plant"

What I would suggest is find an old mountain bike or one with springer forks and replace the whole thing if you want suspension. (and it really is nice to have) Can find some great and cheap bikes at thrift stores, yard sales and even the dump. Or ask around. Old bikes are a dime a dozen.

When doing this, you want to be careful not to over tighten and strip the threads. Slow and careful.

1st link is a really great resource for all things bike. It is far more important to be a good bicycle mechanic then a engine mechanic. The bike is the foundation and what is holding you up, at 20/30 MPH.

Take your time and enjoy the building and learning part.

http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/transport-machinery/road-transport/bicycle/parts-bicycle.php

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
nice try with the spacer on the fork, ive done that before too... if those threads are stripped, there's not much you can do. you should be able to get a replacement fork for free or 5 or 10 bucks from a local bike shop.

Sheldon Brown and whitescycles are the guides i use as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations, Nathan. We were all pulling for you.
Take the advice given and get that steering/fork problem fixed and you'll be on your way.
Put some miles on, get some experience with that engine and you'll have lots of fun.

It appears from your photo that the chain might be just a little loose. You want 1/2" to 3/4" slack, no more or less. Roll the bike forward with the clutch engaged and measure the slack on the top chain run. A loose chain can bind up on the engine drive sprocket, or derail off the rear one. You don't want that to happen when you're riding.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I would start by 'borrowing' a fork from one of the two or three bikes I see in the background of pic #1..

Tip: Borrow it from the bike with the most dust on it, or farthest back.. at least you know they won't be looking for it right away. ;)

Good job on the build.