I Still cant get my bike to run.

GoldenMotor.com

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
So I am sure people ar tired of hearing me whine about my cheap China girl breaking all the time haha. But I just want some suggestions. So maybe a week ago me and my neighbor were playing around and we got a metal cord and tied it to the seat of the bike and the other side to a Pretty good Radio Flyer wagon. So I pull him around the neighborhood and pond trails and muddddd haha yes mud.(Could be problematic) Then we rode to the park on the road and past the police department and didn't get pulled surprisingly...

Anyways the engine just totally stopped running. I don't think it was getting a spark. There was gas and the CDI thing was attached to the Plug. The gap is fine I don't think that could've changed...
I think Either the mag or CDI box is messed up. I cant figure it out.

I took off the CDI thing from the plug and rolled down a hill and released the clutch and then grabbed the CDI thing. Normally I get sparked but no spark!
:-||

So thats why I thought New CDI box or mag

Don't start criticizing me Im just a 15 year old I don't have all the fancy tools and stuff haha.

Hope to get some quick feedback so I get back to pulling my friend around haha!!

Thanks

~Nate

down in GA

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Most likely the Mag, you will want to buy or borrow a multi meter to test it, but a spare is good to have regardless, it seems they don't like water.
The Cdi box rarely fails, disconnect the kill switch and check all connections.
Plug lead can also be a problem.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Any water AT ALL inside the coil cover can cause a shorted coil.
SEAL THOSE COVERS PEOPLE!
On the good side, a new coil is only $15 bucks or so.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Just bought 2 for $20 DELIVERED from eBay; do yourself a favor and ALWAYS have a spare magneto-coil handy. They're cheap...and they sure act like they are. I got about 500-miles out of my last one.

P.S.: haha

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Nathan,

As stated above, it's probably the magneto coil. You should think about buying a Digital Mutli Meter. You can get them at Harbor Freight on sale for under $10.

Here's a no start guide if you have problems in the future:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

On the serious side - it maybe fun now, but what if someone gets seriously hurt what you're doing and why bring negative attention from the police? In the bigger picture of things, we all value our hobby since most states are very lenient on motorized bicycle laws. We don't have paid lobbyists in the state capitols or DC, so it is easy to lose what we have.

Enough lecturing - enjoy the ride and have fun!!!

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Make sure & fill the hole on the front of the motor the wires come out of that are going to the magneto. If you can,... use either silicone or "what I did was use hot glue from a glue gun"
Water and electrical parts = fail.
Water will win every time mud = water.& water = fail .. it has to be ,,if I had to guess ..the magneto

I had an open magneto hole on my first motor years ago. I was on my way home from work when it started raining hard , real hard. I was forced into a large puddle due to meeting two cars at the exact spot the puddle was, forcing me to go into the puddle a good 6" deep ..when I came out the other side of the " lake" ..AKA puddle my motah was popping and sputtering pill junkie..

Then the dreaded no spark motor deadness. You know, when your slowing down knowing it isnt going to start again no matter what or it would of by now . Well at this point I already have my phone out before i even stop. After I got my wiggies & tested everything I fried the coil ,and mag , and plug all at the same time !!

Last edited:

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
First make sure its not your clutch as previously mentioned... if your clutch doesnt engage... your engine wont turn and you wont get a spark.
(how to check:
-release the clutch as you would to engage your engine while the bike is STILL and NOT RUNNING!
-take out spark plug
-place rag over spark plug hole on cylinder head and hold there.
- now get on the bike and see if the piston moves up and down in the engine as you pedal..

or the easier way is to let go of the clutch handle and push the bike forward, if your back tire spins freely with no force, you need an adjustment.

- if it spins but the piston doesnt cycle or make a compressing sound (listen as you push the bike forward) you need an adjustment.
- if no -this means your clutch is slipping or not engaging and you need a clutch adjustment -

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
I guess it could have something to do with the clutch because I made a new bucking bar but it worked for sometime after that. I recently tightened the clutch That could be the problem.

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
well if your clutch is tight - too tight - your clutch handle will not work when you hold it in and disengage it, the bike will still crank and fireup when you try and pedal. hence removing this issue.
i would cut about 1cm of each end of the cdi wire, (i have done this but make sure it will still reach your spark plug, the wire UNSCREWS from the boot and the cdi. So cut that off and rescrew it back on.. see if it helps.
Check to see if you have spark when you crank, touch it if you have to.. you have a little brother?lol
If you are certain you arent getting spark from the cdi, you can now go about checking the mag, get a drill and spin the mag hook up a test light to the terminals and if it lights up then you have a good mag and the cdi needs to be replaced. if not... replace the mag and hopefully you still have a good cdi.
Let me know what happens.
(i cut about an inch and a half off my cdi wire all together so far and i think i have found the sweet spot. )

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
Thanks so much for the info. I am sure it is either the CDI or mag. I have ran it and couldn't get it to shock me. I actually have 5 younger bros haha So I just don't get it. I will try what you said tomorrow. Maybe I will have some luck.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Thanks so much for the info. I am sure it is either the CDI or mag. I have ran it and couldn't get it to shock me. I actually have 5 younger bros haha So I just don't get it. I will try what you said tomorrow. Maybe I will have some luck.[/QUOTE

I actually have five other brothers is way funny!

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Thanks so much for the info. I am sure it is either the CDI or mag. I have ran it and couldn't get it to shock me. I actually have 5 younger bros haha So I just don't get it. I will try what you said tomorrow. Maybe I will have some luck.[/QUOTE

I actually have five other brothers is way funny!
I had 5 brothers until I asked one of them to hold the CDI wire , not sure why but now I only have 4 lol

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
When you replaced your bucking bar, did you replace or reinstall the 8mm bearing it pushes against? Greased them thoroughly?

Have you replaced the CDI wire and plug boot with decent ones instead of the stock junk?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
yeah i cut a bucking bar with a dremel. I didn't lose the ball because I rode it for a while before it cut out on me.
There's your problem. The ball bearing is a critical part of the clutch actuating system. My guess is that you have a clutch problem and the engine is not starting because it isn't turning. At least not fast enough to create ignition.

Tom