New cdi&mag.. no spark still? what next?

GoldenMotor.com

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
i had this same problem 2 days ago, the bike was running good then it stalls again. the problem is the electronics for sure. there is not a sign off any power going though wires.
i had it running, the way i fixed it the first time is i sanded down the magnet that spins. and it ran fine, but a day latter it runs then quits again, changed the mag and cdi, how do i take off the magnet or any suggestions what ican do next?

AND I DONT HAVE A KILL SWITCH

thanks!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Do you have a multimeter?

No spark means your spark plug isn't sparking - but there's a lot that can happen between your cable and plug. Test the cable below the boot and check for activity. If there's fire in the wire, then replace your boot! :D

demac

Mar 8, 2010
i changed all cdi and boot and i dont have a kill switch and now im wanting to change that magnet mine is a bit rusty? lol i also changed the magneto . along with all the ground wires. its got to be the spinning magnet for the life of me though i can get it off i really need help! this is the last part to change as far as electronics it really really cant be nothing else

demac

Mar 8, 2010
IT WORKED IT WORKED ITWOKED :) :) I grounded the white wire to the other side of the magneto/ opposite side of black wire at the top. i grabbed the sparkplug and got a bit of a shock :) och. But what does this mean? should i leave it? awesome though :)

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Just a thought.
Take the magneto off and sand the varnish off the magneto where it touches the engine crankcase.( It's on the back where the bolt holes are.)

It needs to be well grounded to the engine.

To my knowledge white to ground shorts that winding out and normally would kill the engine

You should also check to make sure that you sand the varnish off at the black wire eyelet connection.
TiM

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
IT WORKED IT WORKED ITWOKED :) :) I grounded the white wire to the other side of the magneto/ opposite side of black wire at the top. i grabbed the sparkplug and got a bit of a shock :) och. But what does this mean? should i leave it? awesome though :)
Never have I heard of that. The white wire (assuming the white comes off the coil field). That white wire puts out low (very low/amps) voltage.

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Ya timbo i had the same problem a few days ago. and i sanded every connection and changed and solderd the wires also. then it died again and i figured out when i ground the white wire also then i get spark. so now the bike fires asap. i ready do get pictures, cause this is really messed up. lol

Still i ant going to fix it now it is not broken.

ElPants21

May 29, 2011
United States
2 questions: does it matter which of the bolts on the magneto you attach the black wire to? as in top vs bottom? secondly do the little rubbery connector boots attached to the cdi come clear or sorta brown, (not super brown) and could this be indicative of the cdi being fried? im having some electrical issues if you cant tell. kill switch totally removed.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
2 questions: does it matter which of the bolts on the magneto you attach the black wire to? (Any ground will be fine, weather on the magneto or engine, heck on the frame as well. Best on the magneto.)as in top vs bottom? secondly do the little rubbery connector boots attached to the cdi come clear or sorta brown, (not super brown) and could this be indicative of the cdi being fried? im having some electrical issues if you cant tell. kill switch totally removed.
As far as color of the boot, just about any color you can get.

Brown.... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:60&biw=989&bih=577

Clear... http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345

CDI fried? Kind of doubt it. You would need mega voltage to discolor the wire or boot.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you have to ground the white wire to make the magneto work, then the 'normal' ground that the magneto uses is open.

Normal magneto:
Magneto Diagram.jpg

Magneto with open ground:
Magneto Diagram no ground.jpg

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The normal ground wire on some magnetos are poorly soldered at the factory. Some are not even soldered at all and rely on the varnish to hold them in place! :eek: The wire typically attaches to an eyelet that the top front magneto mounting bolt passes through, or is soldered directly to the magneto frame. This solder joint is also typically a "cold" solder joint wherein the factory worker did not get the wire hot enough to actually bond to the solder. They get the solder on the magneto frame or eyelet hot enough to get molten and just stick the wire, while still cold, into the molten solder puddle and hold it there until the solder solidifies. This only holds the wire in the solder, there is no reliable solder bond to the wire when done that way.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

Sitting above the coil itself is a test light I came up with. Since I had to hold the camera in one hand, I wedged the light above the coil, and turned crankshaft with a drill. With removal of the spark plug I can rotate the crankshaft with either a 14mm socket, wrench, even by hand.

Bought at Radio Shack...A LED capable of emitting light with 12V. One wire goes to blue and the second wire goes to ground (black)

Last edited: