cans

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I recycle cans. Can't help it. Been doing it at home for years.

And for years of bicycling I drove past them. I don't know why I drove past them.

I guess I didn't want people to think ? about me.

Well I could not stand it anymore. I got a stick with a poker on the end and now when I ride I fill up the rear basket with cans. :) usflg

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I collect cans too, if it wasn't for collecting beer cans many of my bikes would not exists. One to two days a week I ride my MB or my pedal bike and collect cans. In fact my internate every month is completely paid for by beer cans lol.

Many of the local business will have bags of cans waiting for me to pick up. I can easily bring in $100 a week depending on the price at the time of deposit.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What a heck of an idea. I have a little trailer for my bike made from a plastic milk carton, if I carried a crusher. i could get quite a few in that thing. I'm going to look into that. With the price of gas, it would not be reasonable to drive a car to sort through a trash cans at the park or somewhere, but the MB makes it possible. Especially since I switched back from Electric to Gasoline.

I bet I can line the trailer with a black bag and just go to town with it.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Can houndin??? ya Ive done that about 10 years ago-was down and out and starvin-a couple of nights I had enough to get food and smokes -then the midway carnival just came into town so I went and green helped a ride - there was down time for set up we had to wait for the generators- I made $120 and was happy. They sent two other green helps home- I asked them how come they get to go home and I have to stay??

The forman looked at me and said "we don't need em" It was the flip flop ride -I green helped on their Giant Wheel 7 times .
Any way, when I see can hounders comin up the alley, I always give them lots of cans, cuase I've been there and know what thats like

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was thinking of it as an excuse to ride my bike to be honest. I hate to ride around for no real reason. I want to go somewhere and do something. This just sounds like something to do for fun. Pull the bike into a picnic table or something and raid the trash can. I can probably find a little route lol.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
The way I see it is if I find anything more then a dime, I am ahead ( just pedal-not use motor) I sure learned the value of a dollar that way...- there are lots of people doin it-

I've got a great excuse to ride tonight!!! I'm goin out to an open stage do sing and play Stray Cats Rock this town, Downchild Blues Flip Flop and Fly and ZZtop Tush

First I goota shovel snow and then shower and then get ready for....THE RIDE:):):):)

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
The way I see it is if I find anything more then a dime, I am ahead ( just pedal-not use motor) I sure learned the value of a dollar that way...- there are lots of people doin it-

I've got a great excuse to ride tonight!!! I'm goin out to an open stage do sing and play Stray Cats Rock this town, Downchild Blues Flip Flop and Fly and ZZtop Tush

First I goota shovel snow and then shower and then get ready for....THE RIDE:):):):)
I wish you lots of luck and a safe ride but bro, you can keep the snow stuff. It's 72 degrees here in Birmingham and I'm a happy camper.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
My pal buttons brings in his cans on his bike with a trailer made out of old burley kids trailer. turns out with a little adjusting the frame holds two swing top shipping boxs, works great even looks good.
This hobby can use all the good spin it can handle ,if going green gives you a reason to ride ,cleans up the planet and get you beer or gas money ,sounds right to me!

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Hey kerf, I am a factory trained can man. Coors in Golden and Strohs in Fremont.

When things were not running right in the Strohs plant I would pick up cans.

When things ran right in the Strohs plant I picked up cans.

I was a boss and in charge of half the plant sometimes.

Things could be running perfect and my boss would walk up with a mean face and point to a can and say " pick that up " and I would ! :)

Maybe when I would ride past cans I was rebelling ?

Not anymore, I have come to terms with it ! I am still a can man ! :)

Getting my can stabbing skills goin on ! Lots of beers cans on the roads in my part of the world ! :)

Steve

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I love pickin' cans and have been doing it for a long time now, but mainly only in the summertime. Here, they go for 10 cents a can so they can really add up in a hurry. The best places to hit are the local party spots as well as the various camp grounds too.

Years ago, when I lived south of here I used to go to a certain place that is well known as a heavy drinking spot. I found almost $50 worth of cans at one time alone going there.....I was like, "Eureka!!"

Yup, pickin' cans is a great way to get out and end up in unique places and make money at the same time!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here in CT we have deposits on cans and bottles. 5 cents a pop. So there are many guys with carts and bicycles who collect em as their primary source of income. The cans have to be uncrushed to get the nickel. (They are worth a dime crushed!?) But watching an older gentleman struggle with 4 garbage bags full on a bike, I designed a hauler. Just a high rack with laundry net bags the size of a garbage bag. Like a book rack but higher.

When the "bottle bill" passed here, I thought of going to large industrial places and hospitals or any where with vending machines in volume and getting permission/paying to put green garbage cans in. I would collect as needed. But folks in much greater need of income supplied their services. Be kinda cool though. If you could crush them and make more money, cool! At a dime a pop, (no pun intended) You could make 80/100 bucks a day purty easy. On a MB. Be a cool way to live but I am a vagrant at heart. Even just lining up one big place and collecting every other day....
The maint. guys would love ya. Less garbage. Admin would love ya. Less cost. Win, win,win sort of thing.

Yrs back, knew a man who put his kid threw college with cans by meeting a ferry I worked on. He took the garbage off and went threw it. Was great. We didn't have to carry it off and he took the rest to the dumpster.

Now shopRitet "can-can" song is stuck in my head, snork YouTube - Shoprite Summer Can Can Sale But they have some hot dancers.

wut?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought. Work a deal with town to put a can collection receptacle (can) next to each of their garbage cans. Sell em on "green" /recycling and cost savings of disposal. Doing it on a MB (more green) would get some free publicity. They really like that and would be good for the collection guy.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You know with enough ideas we could have a small industry birthing here. Different size operations and a handbook. "How to start a motorbike business" 'without a shop'. Different levels of can collections,

I want to start a food cart with my bike and a trailer for a carrier. The city won't let me of course. I'm thinking coffee and pastry in the morning. Collard sandwiches with soda for lunch. Have to rig a Sterno cooker though.

How about a bait shop oh wheels to run out to the fishing lakes around town. Worms and live minnows lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Deacon. I wanted to do a MB hotdog cart too. Drinks at a local park could be a good side income.

We have a cart maker near by. I had asked him about it. He loved the idea. Really not that hard.

Great idea about the handbook! Would be cool and might help some one.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
A conduit frame trailer with a plastic milk carton would do for a can collector. Get a kids twelve inch bike at the thrift shop for wheels. Hardly any expense in that. Mine are heavy duty for the batteries but alum cans have no weight. the lighter the trailer the better.