Helmets: Scooter Helmet Sufficient?

GoldenMotor.com

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
As I get ever-closer to my first motored bicycle, I now tackle the beast known as helmet-shopping. Short of the bicycle variety, this will be my first helmet purchase.

Given the nature of motored bicycles, full-face helmets seem to be overkill. Am I correct in this feeling? Would the more traditional scooter-style helmets with face shield provide enough protection?

Thanks everyone.

SleepyPanchoo

Mar 23, 2010
New York - US
I never found full face helmets to be overkill, not even for bicycles that are not motorized. It protects your whole face and not just the top of your head. A face shield would do you good as well.

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
Or you could do what I do and just get a regular bike helmet and ride SLOW and CAREFUL, lol....

I only go 20 on the street because that's the max speed for MB's in AZ. If I see a car up ahead on my left looking like it's going to turn right, I slow it down to 15 because 9 times out of 10 I'll be stopping for that car. Takes me a bit longer to get where I'm going, but I get there. :)

-AZ

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
As the salesman put it, "How much is your head worth?" I bought a 3/4 Scorpion for scooter riding which cost a bit over $100. For riding my ebike, which never seems to go faster than 20 mph, I use a regular bike helmet of better quality. For my gas bike, which is going to be based on a Felt Armada so retro looking, I have a carbon fiber half shell with the optional mohawk hair piece. laff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good choice Oyster and like it's looks. I say this a lot but is true. Your safer with a helmet that does not look like a bicycle helmet. Cars pull out in front of you far less then if wearing a bicycle one. Seems to be a subtle clue to them your doing 30 and not 10 MPH. I wear a big silly looking one just for that reason. OK, that's a lie, I bought it cause I thought it was really cool, snork. But the one bad crash I have had, it did the trick. (I face planted good. Front fender failed. Front wheel stopped. Me and the rest of the bike kept going but not real far)

.bf.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Whitey. I got it off ebay. was $25 bucks (+$30 for shipping, snork) Will find a link for you. Am sure they must ship down under. Is made from kinda cheap materials but is really well designed. The goggles are awesome and has a zip out neck warmer pc. Is just wrapped Styrofoam. Have had it for a year and is holding up well. I have road, tree and pole tested it.

Question, why is it more expensive to ship from China to Australia then from China to the U.S.? Aside from volume, you folks are closer. Really, just never got that. Taxes? In my state, is 6% on a purchase like that and 0% ordered from the internet.

Leather Black Covered Helmet Motorcross Goggles Free - eBay Clothing, Accessories, Motorcycles, Clothing, Merchandise, Media, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Jun-10 20:42:35 AEST) Wow, they went down in price and got some cool options! Just saw it's $55 AUD for shipping. Crazy

Jet helmet with 2 visers. I really thought about this one. Clear fase shield/anti bug eating devise, snork
New Cool Black Jet Pilot Open Face Motorcycle Helmet XL: eBay Motors (item 270584618259 end time May-31-10 09:04:19 PDT)

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
love the style, the shipping cost is nuts!
Does anyone know if there are any helmets like this, dot approved. I would love to buy one

thanks for the link Dan

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I never did have a real good one and what i had was burned up in a fire, but I did pick up a used light duty scooter helmet a week ago which is better than nothing. I refuse to wear the bicycle ones that look like insectoides, if that's a word. Who designed those anyway, school for the blind? What self respecting person would wear spandex plus one of those and to top it off think they look cool? (Don't anybody get their pants in a bundle, I'm not making fun of blind people.) Any helmet is better than no helmet. I like yours, Dan. Do they also carry doggles like that for Aaniimoosh?
SB

James the welder

Mar 24, 2010
Tempe AZ
Hey I resemble that comment.lol I use a bike helmet because I cant find a good looking scooter one. And I do wear bike shorts BUT under my jeans or other shorts. Never have too much padding. Then again I just put another set of grill marks on the inside of my leg this morning OUCH! thats the third time. Better stick to long pants. (To all the vets out their thank you).............flg....usflg

James the welder

Mar 24, 2010
Tempe AZ
Or you could do what I do and just get a regular bike helmet and ride SLOW and CAREFUL, lol....

I only go 20 on the street because that's the max speed for MB's in AZ. If I see a car up ahead on my left looking like it's going to turn right, I slow it down to 15 because 9 times out of 10 I'll be stopping for that car. Takes me a bit longer to get where I'm going, but I get there. :)

-AZ
Tempe is 25 because when First got my bike runnig I was not sure of the speed limit. I rode by a cop and stop to ask and he checked for me. have not had any trouble so far. He thought it was cool and a good way to save gas. If you ride with you head up your a## you should put a helmet up their too. My 3 cents. (To all the vets out there thank you)...........flg........usflg