Huffy Chopper Build.

GoldenMotor.com

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Alright, Ive had this bike for about 6 or 7 years now, and ive taken care of it as it was my own child.
Had an accident about 5 years back in which the front fork was bent, but thats the only flaw.

Now, I used to have a gas scooter on which the frame kept on giving me problems and literally, every day something always went wrong. First I tried to turn left, but the thing kept on going straight....Then, while I was fixing it...the tire went flat. So that was the last straw with it.
I decided to part it and use the engine on the bike. The motor also has an electric start. It also has a built in generator to be able to run the lights, along with the ability to recharge the battery for the Electric Start. It has a one speed 5:1 ratio tranny.

The engine is a 2 stroke 50cc engine. On the scooter it had a top speed of 45 mph.

I started the project about 2 weeks ago, and so far I'm almost done.

I used a Rack that used to belong to the safety seat of a Child. So I figured it would be able to hold it, taken by the point that my 9 mo. old weights more than my motor. On that I placed a Stainless Steel Plate. The plate I obtained from where I work. It used to belong an air pump.

I cut off the motor mount from the scooter, and bolted it onto the plate, which I attached to the rack with a few U-bolts.

All I have left to do would be to connect the Engine to the Rear tire to be able to use it with JUST the motor for now. After all that is tested and works, Im going to place the Original Crank set on the OPPOSITE side of where its now. I also need to reconnect all the wires, and find a way to set up the Brake Lights, Turn Signals, and Headlight.

So what you guys think? any helpful criticism??

P.S. I want to thank NEAT TIMES (Ron) For all his help!!! Made my build much easier.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
cvlt1Jrol, You Have More Done Than I Realized. Imho, The Easy Way Would Be To Get A Multi Speed Rear Wheel, Remove The Cassette And In Stall The Two Sprocket`s Like Is Detailed In "cvt Rack Mount" And You Can Leave Your Pedal Power On The Right Side. "TncScooters.com" has the freewheel adapter you need and the sprocket for $17. + s/h. you have a #25 chain sprocket on your gear box. "cvt rack mount", Ron .

Last edited:

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
hmm....imma go take another look at those links. Im just not sure if two sprockets would fit on one side. This is a 20" bike...but i guess its worth a shot.
again Ron THANKS for all the help!

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Alright...IVE BEEN GONE for a while now...but now Im back!!!

In the end the rack mount did NOT end up working out for me. And ever since I got my other bike, I have been taking it easy. Dissasembled the engine, cleaned the carb, tested it a few times to make sure it works and everything.

I took everything apart, and decided to place the engine IN the frame it self.

My bud has my bike at this point, he is working on the engine install with me. And we figured out the following:

Engine will either go behind the seat post like in the pictures, OR we'll chop the seat post and place straight up underneath. Ad some extra bars to keep the frame straight.

If it ends up behind the post, we will weld the motor mount and add some stabilizing bars.
If need be stretch the bike 2 inches.

As for the sprockets...a problem I was NEVER able to resolve, either cause I couldnt find the parts or didnt have the money, we figured the perfect solution. The Pedal Sprocket (the black and chrome one) will be welded into the rear wheel sprocket.

A rear wheel sprocket from an extra 20" will be welded to the original #25 motor sprocket and/or directly to the motor shaft. We figured that was a pretty decent gear to gear ratio. Also consulted with all our other buds that ride. Turns out they all like making little things go fast.

Last thing will be to figure out a way to hide all the cables and figure out ALL the lighting work. This little engine baby powered full lights! Headlights, tail lights, and turn signals!!

We looking to be done with the bike by this Sunday....HOPEFULLY.

Let me know what you think and if have any advice for me!!

I added some pics of the proposed ideas!

SOOO SORRY FOR THE LOOOOOONG POST!

Attachments

tskrem

May 7, 2010
Adelaide
this is what i am doing atm. i have just taken the motor off my little pit bike, the rear wheel was stuffed and i cbf paying for a replacement. post some updates and photos. i am current going to make another plate so i can sell the rolling frame :D

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jrol,

What Have You Done Since Your Last Post?

There Are 12 Tooth Sprockets For 1/2" pitch Bmx Bicyle Chain That Fit The 6 Spline Out Put Shaft Of That 5:1 Gear Box Of Yours. I Have Two For My Builds. Don`t Know Who Stocks Them. Mine Came On Used Motor`s Off Ebay.

Tskrem,

Welcome To The Forum Mate! RON .cvlt1

tskrem

May 7, 2010
Adelaide
cheers, i have mostly been using the other forum. i am a member there. However this website is more useful for the home made bikes.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Hey Ron.

I have been searcging for those but no luck. I've tried my local bike shops, and pretty much every single
One of the ad ppl to the sides of our forum but no luck. My bud and I figured that the sprocket is areound the same size as the one that came with my motor. And we have tons of 20" rims laying around
Our garages so were gonna rip one of those sprockets off and weld it either directly onto the shaft or onto the original motor sprocket. For the rear sprocket were thinkin about using the original pedal crank that came with the bike. And the motor is going to go in front of the rear wheel. The rack build just didn't satisfy my want for looks lol. I'm problably gonna head to his place today after work or tomorrow.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
tskrem
welcome, keep us posted.

jrol
i use mostly 8mm chain and sprockets, as it is cheaper and there is several sprocket combo`s available, if you are doing a right hand freewheel drive, the $7. freewheel adapter will screw onto your rear wheel and the 4 hole 8mm sprocket slides right on. c think i used 6mm bolts to connect the parts. u can use washer`s as spacer`s to help align sprocket`s and easy to change sprocket ratio`s. if you weld ur limited. the freewheels are hard as diamonds, drill bits will burn up. used the dremel to touch up the holes. "tncscooters.com" has several larger and some smaller sprockets @ $10. ea. and 8mm chain for $3.50 per ft.. also go to e-bay motor`s and search 8mm sprockets. used 8mm on both my cvt builds and using it on my electric to gas axle mount in progress. Ron .cvlt1

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jrol

Just Looked At Ur Pic`s, I Like That Long Frame. If You Had A Multi Speed Rear Wheel With The Cassette That Screws Off, Then Do Like My Cvt Rack Mount. Then Brake Problems?? My Bad, I Should Have Looked At Your Pic`s A Little Better.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
ok. back again. This time with a kit. So this thread is no longer valid? lol.
Same bike, the engine seized up on another build I did so I had to shelve it. build with the kit is turning to be a bit simpler. But since its a long frame theres always some problems. But nothing I havent been able to fix.