Clinton motor?

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
So, I've posted the start of my next bike here already, but I have some questions about the engine I'm using. I've got a 1 1/2 horsepower Clinton engine. I'm not sure how old it is but I'll post a picture of it and you can see for yourself. I wanted to know if anyone has experience with these engines or has used them before, and if you have any advice on them it would be welcome. Thanks!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I had one many years ago, it was (still may be) a good engine. The company that made them is long closed. If I had a choice between the Clinton or a B&S I'd go with the Clinton. It had a cast iron liner.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
So, I've posted the start of my next bike here already, but I have some questions about the engine I'm using. I've got a 1 1/2 horsepower Clinton engine. I'm not sure how old it is but I'll post a picture of it and you can see for yourself. I wanted to know if anyone has experience with these engines or has used them before, and if you have any advice on them it would be welcome. Thanks!

Thats cheating, just tilt engine.... no really looks unique and has character that camel hump for the engine!

A gas tank, location though if a gravity feed where will it go? It maybe could go behind the seat using a mini keg tank... I think would look cool.

Anyway I am just curious and like anything DIY'er type.

MT

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
What do you mean "tilt engine"? The only reason it has that camel hump is because I decided that I wanted to complete what my brother started (all he did was put a plate on the frame). I completely disassembled the frame and bored holes for the motor bolts. Right now I working on the back sheave (it's an old Singer sewing machine pulley, so I'm going to have to use a really narrow V-belt. But with the jack-shaft I'm putting in, I shouldn't have to bend the frame around the back sheave at all. The engine runs like a scalded cat, it has some upgrades that my last bike doesn't have. Like a throttle for one, and an actual carb (instead of a mixer), and I'll be able to pedal start this one, instead of pull-starting it the whole time.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You could use a Tecumseh diafram carb off like a 3 hp snowblower. You could mount the tank anywere..............Curt

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I thought of tilting the engine so the spark plug would fit.

Since for me, tilting if it is not too excessive that would require engine modifications not worth the effort to get it fit in the frame, it is just how I did it.

When I tilted the engine back, I ended up still making an adapter to get a bowl type carb to be level as well as using an elbow bend in the intake manifold so to not hit the down tube. The spark plug is the stubbiest one I could find with a heat range close to what the engine should use.

Since you have a project already started and handed over to you, whatever works is OK and go with it. The shapes in the tubes do look good!

I’m hope I have not come across as telling you how things are done, far from it, I am learning from seeing all the ways people make DIY’er motor bikes.

Initially I did this engine tilt even though I had use of a welder because I really did not want to tackle cutting and modifying frame tubes as I’m only just starting out welding.
I will someday hope to do more with welding tubes.

I welded the platform for the engine and some bosses for v-brakes that were necessary as I dispensed with the pedals that were prior coaster brakes too. I won’t be using the motor bike on the streets, just in motorcycle parks and with a mod cover for Burning Man Event to look like a fish.

Your use of a sewing machine pulley, which I have not yet seen in a picture, I am not sure you will have enough low ratio for torque from the engine. The jackshaft though can allow additional lowering of the ratio with a large pulley on it (smaller pulley on engine to larger pulley on jackshaft). It multiplies the amounts from each set of pulleys with belt to get final ratio.

I used washing machine pulley 10” diameter for my rear wheel pulley and I understand the Whizzer is 15”, but for off-roading hill climbing I will use extra lowering ratio on the jackshaft.

My requirement less than 5mph at Burning Man Event is such I intend to make a modification of my current single jackshaft to two jackshafts with three belts and 47 to 1 ratio giving 3.5 to 5.5 mph speed range. I did not want to overheat the clutch by pulsing the throttle to stay under 5mph.

Nice motor too. I used a more modern Clinton engine on a mini bike and found them quality. Nice motor bike build you have going!

MT

My thread:
Motor Bike DIY'er build to add side car maybe? (the side car was in case the weight of a art covering becomes too much for stability)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678

Last edited:

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yeah, I get what you said about tilting the engine, and to tell you the truth, for me, that sounds harder than reshaping the frame! I think the pulley I'm using is about a 12" maybe?
I'll have to check once I get it off of the sewing machine... Now, I want this one to be a street bike, I want to ride it around as a cost efficient. Costs more than a regular bike, but doesn't take as much gas as a truck. I AM going with a jack-shaft, I've done a little research into my gear ratios in my dad's book but I need to just sit down and work it out sometime.
That's what everyone who's seen my bike has said! They all think the curves in the frame are just beautiful. Now my dad has a motorcycle club where they all make homebuilt motorcycles. Out of the five guys, three of them are making motorbikes after they saw mine! Thanks for the feedback, from what I can tell, you just about can't kill these little Clintons. That's what I wanted to hear!

You can see my dad's bike at http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36412

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You said you did research into the gear ratios, im sorry if im pointing out the obvious. But the first thread in this DIY section has a very handy online gear calculator. If you know your engine RPM's and wheel size you can enter pulley sizes and get the reduction ratio as well as the estimated top speed. Very very handy tool to use that a lot of people overlook. Just thought id make sure you knew it was there.

I absolutely love your dads bike, do you think your dads friends would share some pictures of the bikes they built? Id love to see them..... keep up the good work