Motorized bike died , so I got an 87 Honda Rebel 450 :)

GoldenMotor.com

JdubMotorMan

May 9, 2011
los angeles county
Hey guys ...

I was looking for something motorized and fun to ride ... and the motorized bike I built was awesome , but unfortunately had nothing but problems with the engine ... I also bought several upgrades that I am no longer using :( ... the good news is I got an awesome 87 Honda Rebel 450 yesterday for only $1500.00 cash and I can't tell you how awesome it is ! I took it to work 34 miles away and back with no problems at all .... motorized bikes are fun , but really un-reliable , unfortunately , because they are fun ... but I highly recommend an actual motorcycle if it is something you think you might want some day ... I say do it because you will love it ! So now I have a motorized bike sitting around that I can either add a motor to and sell , or just part out... so if anyone wants parts , I have all kinds of stuff ...

thanks ,

- Johnny

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Hey is that the Honda they call the Big One ? Has one Large Cylinder and sounds Like a John Deer ?

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
With the 34 miles X 2 commute you're gonna love yourself, especially since you can probably ride most of the year in Socal. Good luck with your new bike.

Earlier this year I couldn't resist a Honda 250 Enduro for short money, low miles and all it needed was cleaning.

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California
So now I have a motorized bike sitting around that I can either add a motor to and sell , or just part out... so if anyone wants parts , I have all kinds of stuff ...

thanks ,

- Johnny
Post a list of what you have in the Swap And Shop or PM me. I might be interested.

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
jdub you had the 35 mile to work thread ? congrats on the new honda , a 450 is the perfect size for transportation , i own 4 motorcycles , 2 , 1000 cc goldwings and 2 , 750 cc inline fours , the 1000's average about 40 mpg and the 750's average about 50 mpg , any motorcycle beats the average 20 mpg that most cars get , and are a more pleasurable way to travel, i use my motorcycles for long distance and my motorized bike for grabing grocerys and running around town , i have just about quit driving a car at all .usflg

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
rode bikes when I was a child...rode motorcycles when I was young... drove cars when I got older... now I ride bicycles.... life is a circle I think... I loved them all for the periods of my life.

Good luck with your motor cycle and yes motor bikes are not reliable. Ebikes are a little more plug and play ready, but you should love your motorcycle for its day to day reliability. 35 miles is a long commute so be careful.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Motorized bicycles are great fun, I've enjoyed building mine as much as riding. As Aleman stated, those with quality engines are reliable but regardless of that fact, they are not and never will be a motorcycle. Some here use their MB's for functional transport but a 34 mile daily commute, IMO, pushes the envelope past reasonable. I wouldn't even want to have to make a long daily commute with only a motorcycle, call me crazy but some days are very wet, some days are very cold and some are both.

I play with bicycles, they are only toys. For serious transport either a motorcycle or better yet a car is the way to go. I've grown accustom to comfort in my old age.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Motorized bicycles are great fun, I've enjoyed building mine as much as riding. As Aleman stated, those with quality engines are reliable but regardless of that fact, they are not and never will be a motorcycle. Some here use their MB's for functional transport but a 34 mile daily commute, IMO, pushes the envelope past reasonable. I wouldn't even want to have to make a long daily commute with only a motorcycle, call me crazy but some days are very wet, some days are very cold and some are both.

I play with bicycles, they are only toys. For serious transport either a motorcycle or better yet a car is the way to go. I've grown accustom to comfort in my old age.
Getting from point a to point b in Tampa can many times be done faster on a Huffy bicycle !

After riding a bicycle I can't stand waiting in traffic in a car for all the other cars.

Those car driving jokers will sit at a green light doing texting !
I want to pull the car onto the sidewalk like I do the bike and go ! :) usflg

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I wondered for quite a while why that cop treated me like he did when I got pulled over in the Mercedes.

The answer I came up with is because I was driving a car.

He treated me like that because I was driving a car ! ! !

How many times have you heard that a cop pulled someone over on a bicycle and the bicyclist pulled out a gun ! ! ! Never ?

So many crazy jokers out there driving cars the cops are afraid of being shot when they pull over someone for having too many bikes in the trunk ! ! !

The last time I got a ticket was 1985. Never been arrested. usflg

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
In AZ everybody is dumping surplus motorcycles due to the economy.
My son picked up a 125 dirt bike for $30.00, and a Honda 600cbr for $800.00.
All the toys go when foreclosure looms.

Yet They steal the heck out of my motorized bicycles.
And anything surplus that needs tax title and registration Insurance is sold for a song.
A well used mountain bike is $75.00 . A used dirt bike is $30.00.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Flash.... The reason many people ride a MB vs any motorcycle or car is the fact that they don't have a license. My son was one of them till he finally got it reinstated after 14 years (cost him over $800.00). He 35.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Flash.... The reason many people ride a MB vs any motorcycle or car is the fact that they don't have a license. My son was one of them till he finally got it reinstated after 14 years (cost him over $800.00). He 35.
The cost of driving a car is not going down, that's for sure.

The whole car thing is such a racket to get peoples money !

People get it in their heads they need one then they have to work an extra job just to pay for and support the thing ! usflg

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I have two bikes, thinking about a motorcycle but the truck, the SUV and the car are going to stay. That's just me, what anyone else chooses to do is great.