Pull Start for 80cc chinese engine

GoldenMotor.com

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the ideas! I got to looking at it last night after I removed the cover and came up with an idea. I took a flat blade screwdriver, large, about a 1/2" tip and put it between the rotor and the mag coil on the side away from the coil. It worked perfectly , loosened the crank nut right up with steady pressure. The kit is really made as a replacement for the engines that come with auto. clutch and pull start.
You have to do a little fitting to make it work as the crank is a little shorter than the one with factory pull start.I took a little metal off the outside of the pull start drum and radiused the top of of the 4 screws that hold the mag to the case as well as putting a thin, 0.020 thick washer under the pull start drum. It then clearde the mag with enough clearance to move freely. Put it back together and it works great. I think as long as you don't muscle it too much it will be fine,
it other words don't get crazy with it when your engine doesn't start on the first pull.
If any body want's to make the mod. I think you will be pleased.
I got the pull start kit from BOYGOFAST on ebay, No problem with him. I think there is a couple more sellers.
Here is a pic of the parts.
Hey Dax, differnt Strokes for different folks! I personally think that if you can pull start it, it makes it easier for several different reasons especially tuning.
Bill
Instead of a pic of an unmounted motor, and to dispel any nay sayers, the perfect pic would be of your engine mounted on your bike and the pedal crank showing in front of the pull start. It might even motivate a few people to do it themselves, but then all the dealers' stock would dry up. Oh well.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
engage the clutch then jam the chain somehow to keep the engine from turning...come to think of it engage the clutch so that is in drive then have somebody engage the rear brake while you loosen the nut.

gian

Jun 30, 2009
vancouver
pull start isnt strong enough, i already broke 3 pullstarts .i made 200 pulls in 1 pullstart and it last for about 1 1/2 month . all of the pull start have the same problem you will noticed the damage it has hole at the center of the pullstart case, which holds the coil spring. as you pull the rope the tension of the coil becomes strong, the casing of the pullstart is aluminum thats why it easily break. they should make a metal one. i dont mind if metal is heavy as long as it is durable

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I've had and still have a few pull starts. Yes they do have a few weakness's!
However when I am taking off from a stop light(left turn) with cars behind me if the engine stalls, it is so much easier to give it a quick pull rather than pedaling around the turn to start.

As for clearance, I put the crank arm in a vise and bent an offset(cost ZERO).

Attachments

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I've had and still have a few pull starts. Yes they do have a few weakness's!
However when I am taking off from a stop light(left turn) with cars behind me if the engine stalls, it is so much easier to give it a quick pull rather than pedaling around the turn to start.

As for clearance, I put the crank arm in a vise and bent an offset(cost ZERO).
Seems like a plan! I can't seem to find a pull start anywhere other than Boy Go Fast on Ebay.

Where can I purchase one?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
There isn't a dimes(quality wise) between the sources. BGF is as good as any.
Tips: Put a pin or nail thru the knot in the handle. "Never" pull start the engine with the clutch engaged. Purchase some 1/8" nylon replacement rope. I bought the three package to have spare parts(yes I needed some)
Despite the above comments, the pull start is a good thing to have.
On my 5 speed I depend on the pull start. On my single speed I only use it as an alternate start method.

Good luck!

Attachments

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
There isn't a dimes(quality wise) between the sources. BGF is as good as any.

I Once ordered a kit from BGF received with defective parts,he would not work out the problem.I left him bad feedback and the next thing I know he blocks me from purchasing items from his store!

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I was just on my way home and noticed a strange sound coming from the clutch cover. Turns out I have broken the small bevel gear. I have the sbp shift kit so I'm thinking that I may have kicked it over to hard and caused the damage. Makes me think about a pull start. I understand the overall quality isnt going to be the best but any one else have one, and how is it holding up? Are they hard to pull with 68.5 cc slant head engine? I like the idea of a pull start but of course dont have money to burn on garbage. Another thing with BGF I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I've ordered several engine kits and misc parts and love the super fast shipping.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I was just on my way home and noticed a strange sound coming from the clutch cover. Turns out I have broken the small bevel gear. I have the sbp shift kit so I'm thinking that I may have kicked it over to hard and caused the damage. Makes me think about a pull start. I understand the overall quality isnt going to be the best but any one else have one, and how is it holding up? Are they hard to pull with 68.5 cc slant head engine? I like the idea of a pull start but of course dont have money to burn on garbage. Another thing with BGF I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I've ordered several engine kits and misc parts and love the super fast shipping.

My first pullstart on a new motor,the rope snapped after 20-30 pulls.I got a replacement a few weeks ago,since then no problems.Mine starts up usually on the first or second pull..You have to pull the rope straight up gently as someone else mentioned else where.You can always replace the rope with a lawnmower pull rope for $2-3 There's also a recoil deal in the plastic piece (inside the cover) that can be replaced with a quality one if need to be.

They are a nice advantage to have though especially when you don't want to pedal .wee.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
It is interesting here to note that Boygofast now has an updated pull start that comes with a metal catcher(Not sure what that part is called) instead of the crappy plastic one.

I may just have to get that as a spare.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
It is interesting here to note that Boygofast now has an updated pull start that comes with a metal catcher(Not sure what that part is called) instead of the crappy plastic one.

I may just have to get that as a spare.
I will assume that the "catcher" is the plastic pawl that engages the lugs on the shaft cup. If you forget to hold the clutch in when starting, the pawl has a short life. This happened to me on my first pull start.(Got three starts before failure). BGF did replace free, because they had some on hand.
I had already fabbed one from PVC(and am still using it). A metal one would be better!
Despite what people say about these cheap kits, if you pay attention you will notice they are slowly(too thier credit)making improvements.

Last edited:

bjpru66

Mar 9, 2008
Arizona
If you have a picture of that pawl that you made I bet a lot would like to see it. That seems to the piece that most often breaks.
If you didn't take any pics., what kind of PVC did you get to make your replacement.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
If you have a picture of that pawl that you made I bet a lot would like to see it. That seems to the piece that most often breaks.
If you didn't take any pics., what kind of PVC did you get to make your replacement.
I'm on vacation in Vegas, trying to win some money to support my MB habit! When I get back to Ma. I'll post apic.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
The pawl.....never would have guessed the name of that!

Mine broke, but it wasn't from not having the clutched thoroughly pressed.....it just decided it had enough life and went Kapluwee!

I made a copy of it using two large washers, held together with two pin-type things I got off an old chainsaw, and ground down the washers to the replica plastic one. I suppose if someone had a welder, it'd be a better way to make one, but I don't. I just laid the plastic pawl on the washer, traced it, and ground it. I drilled a hole for each pin and pounded them in and ground those where I needed them. That thing will last longer than the bike, I bet!

I think pvc would work pretty good too. What did you use for the pins? Maybe plastic rod just glued in? That would work.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The pawl.....never would have guessed the name of that!

Mine broke, but it wasn't from not having the clutched thoroughly pressed.....it just decided it had enough life and went Kapluwee!

I made a copy of it using two large washers, held together with two pin-type things I got off an old chainsaw, and ground down the washers to the replica plastic one. I suppose if someone had a welder, it'd be a better way to make one, but I don't. I just laid the plastic pawl on the washer, traced it, and ground it. I drilled a hole for each pin and pounded them in and ground those where I needed them. That thing will last longer than the bike, I bet!

I think pvc would work pretty good too. What did you use for the pins? Maybe plastic rod just glued in? That would work.
I totally agree, it does not take opperator error for this part(pawl as I see it, do not know the actual part discription). Yes I used Pvc pins turned down in a lathe. The method that you described would be easier for me(as I have the equipment) but did not occur to me at the time. Welding the 5/16" nub and pins would have been easy. However I knew that BGF was sending me a replacemrnt part, so I just made it out of the first material that came to mind. I have pull starts on all my engines and just ordered another one. I do not always use them but they are there if I want too. As I remember the part that the pawl fits into is also plastic So as I always state when ever the pull start subject comes up, remember to hold that clutch in and avoid possiable trouble.
The days are getting longer and I am chomping at the bit. Got a good day Presidents day and got out for a cold but great 50 mi. ride with some other MB riders!

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
Ordered a pullstart fer my china girl, i was super careful with it and made sure to get over compression before I would pull.... within in an hour of tuning my cns carb I pulled the starter and the center pulled right out of the almost 1/8 inch cheap aluminum, and then chewed all the teeth off the starter pawl. This got me looking at commerical pullstarters on chainsaws, weed-whackers etc. If someone could adapt one of those to a china girl they would be legendary. The BGF one was a waste of $20!!!!