Pic Request Higher bars on beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
I have this

Was thinking about slightly taller bars, I like how this position is already but not a fan of how far back the bars force my wrists to be
But before I go waste money on bars that may not work out I would like to see some pics of what you are using so it can help me decide what to get

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I really like these Felt bars with the cross brace and use them on two of my cruisers. The wrist positioning is nice and the width is just right for my likes. They are not very high but a taller stem can change that......I like mine kinda low ;)

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/img0503qg.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You might also consider a lay-back seat post. That will move you rearward a little so you don't feel like you're "doing the Chicken Dance" when you're riding. That's in quotes because that's the way one of our moderators, Dan, described riding his Point Beach before he installed a lay-back post. :)
Tom

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
I really like these Felt bars with the cross brace and use them on two of my cruisers. The wrist positioning is nice and the width is just right for my likes. They are not very high but a taller stem can change that......I like mine kinda low ;)

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/img0503qg.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

I have these bars on one of my scooters, was thinking about putting these on the bike
but its just too hard to picture how they will look and feel

so I was thinking around this type of height
these bars are pretty wide and flat, so im not sure how much that will change my riding position if it will make me have to lean forward more

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You can always trim the width and tilt the bars back.......a laid back seat post as Tom suggested is also a good adjustment option for your desired riding position.

dnut

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I got bored of my original bars. I flipped them to give it the cafe racer look. Then I flipped them back because they were very uncomfortable.
I then went to a local bicycle shop and got me some mini-ape hangers. I LOVE them. I love how they make a standard 26 inch bike feel so much bigger. It rides a lot higher.
If you do it right, you might not have to do much to make your front brake/throttle and clutch cables longer. But, then again, you might have to.

Let me know if these are what you're talking about.

here are some before pictures

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
Well I ordered some last night
From looking at my stem it said 22.2
and online bmx stems said 21.1
So im guessing a bmx stem wont fit, so I ordered a mountain bike type thats 22.2
But the bar clamp is way larger so I ordered a shim for the set of bars im getting
They are like 5 inches tall with a cross brace

Hopefully it all works out, but ive been seeing a ton of old schwinn bikes with bmx stems on them, do they fit right up with no problems. Or is it just my bike uses a larger hole? Because the bmx stems were pretty cheap and I like how those look

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It is a sticky wicket getting the right look and feel for a motorized bicyle!

There are a number of different stem and headset diameters to work with.

I use shim stock cut from beverage cans for the steering parts and the seat posts, but really don't advise it. The aluminum gets beat up in use, and will disintegrate, leaving you in a questionable situation.

Among the problems we are dealing with here is seat height, in relation to the pedals. This is problematic because we don't typically pedal, except for starting, and don't really require a tall setting for our leg length.

...and this changes the relationship with the handlebar height!

Also in the mix is the distance from the seat to the bars, and width of the bars when making a turning movement.

Flipped and turned down bars may be dandy for BTR's, but are just not practical for much besides racing.

Standard bicycle bars DO seem to put the wrist in an odd position for something other than a customary bicycle pedal-pumping action. I never liked them a Lot! lol

Tall apes are dandy for a retro chopper look, but that isn't going to work for a lot of people and styles. Handlebar width is also critical, and many styles can't be trimmed and still remain useful.

There are taller goose-necks, stem and headset combinations that are short, tall, and long (forward).

Leaned, or bent back seat-posts, and forward stretched frames also affect the outcome, in addition to the 'comfort-bikes with the crank-forward 'townie' configuration.

Really difficult coming up with an end solution that is most comfortable for the builder!

Whew!

I'll be watching to see what combination you eventually come up with and how it works for you! :)

There's just not a method or place where you can 'try before you buy' !!!

Best
rc

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
So far everyone's giving great advice. Rustycase is also right about trying to use peddle bike bars on a motorized. The peddle bike bars are designed to put your weight above the peddles, leaving you leaning way forward with most of your weight on your arms. Like the man said, this is ok for racing, but try to ride more than a mile or two and your arms are gonna be shot out. Even a cruiser motorcycle will give a more upright riding position, and there's a reason for this. Cross country riding while leaning on your arms would wear a rider out in no time. Now, try this on a M.B. with little or no suspension and the normal potholes most cities have. (Makes my arms sore just thinking about it.)
For those into the Cafe or boardtracker look, yer stuck with leaning on yer arms. If ya want something more comfortable then ya gotta get the bars so you can sit in a more upright position. I'm a old guy, If it's not comfortable I'm not gonna ride it any further than around the block.
So, Sit on the bike and reach your arms out to where you think a nice riding position should be and the angle of your wrist feels good. After that, there's a million handle bars to choose from. I paid $20 for my 13" high rise and they are working out just fine.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
well I got the parts all off the same place on amazon to save on shipping
I never could find the bmx style stem for my size on amazon, at least the store I was looking at

But here is what I got, not showing the shim

if this all works out I may put a 2 inch rise cross brace bar on my mountain bike just to sit up straighter

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
I come from riding scooters, where you lean forward a touch and im so used to my hands being in a different spot
becah cruiser bars are okay but I find many bumps my hands dig forward into the controls and they have sharp corners

So if I could have more flat bars facing forward it may be a better ride so it doesnt feel like im steering a school bus

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I agree, Cruiser bars suck. Feels like yer thumb knuckle is always trying to dig into the end of the grip while twisting yer wrist backwards. Those bars work only when ya stand up to peddle. Other that that, Cruiser bars suck.
fatdaddy.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but it will open some possibilities, I hope.

1st pic is a aztec/delta quill stem adapter... Using the included shim, it will fit either a 1" or 1 1/8th" quill stem.

2nd pic is an adjustable quill stem.
I got one similar to it out in the yard I'll try soon.

Good luck
rc

Attachments

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
well finally got the bars and stem in, box was torn and of course one shim was missing
so now I have to wait to install all this

bars are a little smaller then I imagined but we will see
I may try to mock it up with 1 shim and cardboard
just so I can make sure its going to work out or if I need something different

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
so to me it just doesnt look right, too small
maybe because my seat and tank is so big
not sure if once all the controls are on if it may look normal, so far its comfortable at the height and angle I have them set at

Here is a scooter handlebar for comparison

not much wider but it is more like what I thought I was getting, also little taller but I knew what height I was getting and chose the smaller height
I also chose the middle width of bars too, so now im wondering if I should of got the wider ones

Im also debating weather or not to put bars on my mountain bike, so maybe I will see how these look on that one

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
decided to order new bars, just like the large ones I have on one of my scooters
So I put the stem and new bars to good use on my mountain bike

I only use it for running the dog, gotta love the soft ride

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey Bro, Whatevers comfortable for you. Of course they gotta look good too. but I think they look just fine. I've seen what I think are some pretty silly lookin bars on some bikes, and yours don't look stoooopid. And anyway, It's YOUR bike, Do what YOU like.
Big Red.