Boardtrack Bike Update

GoldenMotor.com

anthrokid

Sep 17, 2008
This is my second post on this bike. I have made some changes and think I like it better this way. The speedometer is a vintage Schwinn that is in perfect working order. Springer fork works great and has made riding much more enjoyable. The odometer came with 196.1 original miles. As you can see, I couldn't resist riding it a few miles before taking some pictures.

anthrokid

Sep 17, 2008
I wanted an analog speedo for the bike. I was curious to know what kind of mileage i was getting and how far I have been going, but I didn't think all the work I put into the bike would be justified if I put a cycle computer on the bars.

anthrokid

Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for your support guys. This is a 49cc engine that I purchased from Dax. I am thinking about purchasing an "80cc" engine to provide more power on this heavy cruiser frame. Does anyone have any input on whether it would be worth it or not?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
hey anthrokid, very nice build. But tell me is that bike very uncomfortable to ride for more than 2 miles ? That style of handle bars just seem like the rider will be bent over all the time ?

but like the others said it is a beautiful bike, and I also have wondered about 49 cc vs the 80 cc engines. all I have is 80 cc engines so i dont have anything to compare to yet. I just figure more power the better when I made my last 2 builds

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
having pulled a trailer with my granddaughters with both a 70 and 48...
I can definitely say the 70 pulls better...
solo, they go approx same speed, but the 70 has more power

anthrokid

Sep 17, 2008
The bike is actually very comfortable to ride. I rode the frame with the bars liek that for a while before mounting to make sure that it was ok and it doesn't bother me in the least. I just rode about fifteen miles out and back last weekend and it was great.

I think i am sold on getting an 80. Now I have to pedal up hills and don't have the torque that I would really like even when I am riding around town. If the low end power increased enough I might adjust the rear sprocket size to help with top end speed.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I'm 6'3" and well over 200#- I have down-turned bars and there are actually very, very comfortable. One key is keeping the seat low. You don't want your hind quarters hiked way up in the air like you're trying to get Hollywood Squares answers from Paul Lynde.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Anthrokid,
I have a Schwinn Jaguar with the bars flipped over. The seat is very low, lower than stock with a lay-back seat post and its very comfortable to ride. The wide stance of the bars and the low seat make for a comfortable position for long cruises. Those boardtrack guys of old knew what worked for comfy rides. Your bike is a beauty. Good work. Congratulations. Enjoy it.
Tom

anthrokid

Sep 17, 2008
I agree that the key to the boardtrack bars is an extremely low seat. I cut the seatpost and removed the seatpost clamp to get to seat as low as possible. To keep the seat on and straight, I put two set screws on either side of the seat tube. It works well but I was absolutely positive I wasn't going to move the seat height again.