Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kestrel, what's is to hard about that sidecar? You have made a motor bike so you most certainly have talent and skill.

Take it piece by piece. There are lots of frame builds to follow. Silverbears, Russels and mine come to mind and there are certainly others to follow. The body can be what ever you find that you like. As the late President Roosevelt said, The only thing we have to fear is fear it's self. Jump into it Sir and dazzle the forum with your knowledge and skill.

Need help or suggestions? You have a whole forum behind you and I'm sure a solid bunch of help at home.

There is nothing in this world as nice as those who can't build a sidecar saying ,you built that?

We're pulling for you.

Steve.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Hey fasteddy,
What I meant by that was it would be a hassle (at least for me) to ride it. Like around town it would just be more space to take up. Plus I take my bikes to steam shows and stuff, and with a side-car I wouldn't be able to ride it around. Me and my dad have already built two side-cars for different bikes, it wouldn't be hard to build, just annoying to ride.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Kestrel,
Ya, I'm more than a little passionate about sidecars and getting people to build them.
Make one that you can drop easily when it's in the way. Do you have any photos of the ones you built? Would really like to see what you did.

Have to love Dads don't you. They always want you to add useless things like brakes.
My Pops big thing was tread on the tires. Got grounded for a week when I told him they were Italian racing tires. Baldini's. Man had no humor when it came to that.

Steve.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I still think that I would prefer just riding in my dad's :). I'll post some photos of the one on the Kawasaki, and maybe the one that goes on my dad's (work-in-progress) home built. I'll try to get them on tomorrow.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yeah, my dad owns a leather shop, (hence the upholstery). Also, it's all skinned in tin!, just some thin steel we had laying around the shop. It's not much, but it's cheaper to ride to town in that to get milk than it is to spend the money on gas for the truck :). He likes to give our dog rides... If that tell you anything...

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Here's one I found on the net, I was gonna make one like it, but decided it would be too much of a hassle
I didn't see the tire on the opposite side of the kinda chair attached. I thought for a second maybe sort of art park bench, but no.

I have my motor bike getting near finishing, had a lot done today. Have to post pics when I can get the pics off my Blackberry. I somehow on this flakey old one I only use as a camera, no phone or internet..... had it go into storing the pic on device memory and not the sim card memory. I'll be able to do it when I get software to make copy to pc possible. Windows does only allow sim memory copy. So far 70 MB of 116 MB loaded of the utility software.

Hey the ball of both my feet can touch the ground while on the banana seat. The exhaust is out the back on flex copper tube between the tire and the bottom of the banana seat. I will put a heat guard so I won’t accidently burn my hand.

MT

PS Someday maybe convert it to use with side car. This one looks like something I would do. Thanks for that pic!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like what the builder did on that... very nice in simplicity, weight, low cost and good looks. I can see making something like this with copper lights,copper "exhaust" and a bit of copper at the nose. Along with varnished wood it would have an old time look to it. Thanks for the link.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That is a very nice sidecar body. Just figured out what 800 Euros is in dollars. At least I can afford the photo.

Thanks Leaded50. It's nice to see what is offered elsewhere in the world.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thought I'd post up some photos and commentary regarding my canoe sidecar now mounted to my 50 Panther. Fasteddy and I made the sidecar body a couple of years ago from a 17' Grumman canoe. It was going to go on my Indian Hiawatha build, but decided against that for a couple of reasons. First the Hiawatha is already getting a convertible tri car front end, so how often would I use the sidecar? Another factor was that the sidecar frame Fasteddy welded up last summer had a mounting system that was slow going taking the sidecar off and putting it back on again.

So I decided it should go on the Panther which required some modification to fit the different frame configuration. While he was at it Steve (Fasteddy) simplified the mounting so it takes maybe ten or fifteen minutes to remove the sidecar and when it is replaced there is no adjustment fitting needed.... just hook it up again. Another post will detail the mounts with photos and commentary.

The first time I rode the sidecar I almost ran it into the brush, having a hard time steering it. I didn't realize how much I steer by leaning a bike. With this rigid mount setup there is no leaning... you have to turn the handlebars. It has taken me several hours of riding (quite slow at first) to get the hang of it, just like learning how to ride a bike all over again. The first big rule for me is to slow way down for the turns unless it is a very gradual one.

Aaniimoosh the Wonder Dog took her first ride yesterday just up and down the driveway a few times. She was a little tense at first since it was a new deal and not like her kiddie trailer. Today we took the bike out for a real run of an hour and a half or so and for the first time she rode with the doggles I rigged up for her. She didn't try to get them off and got lots of waves and smiles from admirers (people on my lake like her and are used to seeing her behind the bike in a trailer).

Gotta say, what a hoot it was to ride along through the forest with her sitting on the floor of the canoe, looking out over the bow through her shaded doggles. At 20mph or so her ears had enough lift from the wind that they were like little wings. Ha! She sits pretty still, tall and intensely watching the passing forest for animals such as Little Johnnie Pissoff, the red squirrel who seems to be everywhere, dratted chippermonkeys, killer bunny rabbits and white tailed deer. My pleasure in riding just got elevated another notch. Nice to let off on the throttle to give my little biker babe a pat on the head. Good dog, Aaniimoosh!

I'm ordering a bigger rear sprocket since I'll be riding in a slower range and need the additional torque for accelerating from a dead stop and climbing hills at lower speed. Around 30 mph is going to be tops now. I have a Worksman drum brake on the sidecar wheel, but have yet to run a cable. I think it will help with making righte hand turns more comfortably. I'm going to use a clutch lever for it so that I can lock it and have a parking brake.

Many thanks to Steve who initially helped make the canoe sidecar body, made the sidecar frame and figured out the modifications and simplified mounting system.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Bill.
Moosh & I went for another ride this evening and she very much wanted to go. I don't think she's real crazy about the doggles yet, but hopefully will get used to them. I'm getting more comfortable with the difference in handling (mostly taking corners).

I think the dog prefers it to her trailer for a couple of reasons. One, she has no exhaust pipe and engine noise aimed right at her. Second, her view is better and I think she likes sitting next to me and getting an occasional pat on the head and "good dog" praise.

I'm looking forward to the first time my grand daughter (9 years old) goes for a ride in the sidecar. What a cool thing to share.
SB