Help mounting thick tubing Trek Marlin 29er

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You may get it reamed out at a auto parts store that does machine work, most have reamers of all sorts, The space were the bolts go through should not be tight together, as to lose the clamp pressure................Curt

Nanfoe

Oct 15, 2016
Florida
Went yesterday and had engine mounted, rode 30 miles home with just the chain popping off once. Today I notice no washers or lock washers on rear stud mounts and the nuts where loose. I tried to add washers then re tighten when a stud tip snapped. The front mount hardware studs are up-sized from stock is there a way to do the same for the rear?

Nanfoe

Oct 15, 2016
Florida
Update: I'm riding in the first lean mix since break in and she started 4 stroking. Went down the line from #70 to settle with #61 which is the smallest I have. She was still 4 stroking and plug check showed too rich. I removed the air-filter and bam like night to day no more 4 stroking. I bought some new plugs b8hs and a 7. I slapped the new 8 in there pre gaped, rode her and she sounded like she was going to 4 stroke for a spit second the stopped. I checked the plug it looks OK to me, how does it look to you all? She seems to run good with my WOT which from the filter side looks like 7/8 OT. I need a different throttle cable it's just rigged for now. She's doing 40 MPH @5500 rpm, what a lucky guess. I bought a fuel filler hose which was the wrong size for this Reed/Carb setup. Anyone know what size this hose should be? I was told 1 in ID and that's way too big.

20161102_193306.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Nanfoe

Oct 15, 2016
Florida
Went ahead and made a plate with a hack saw and drill, bought some muffler clamps and now all is good. Built my first engine from new parts except carb and did a pressure test and she did 173 psi. I'm using 4 oz per gal Opti oil do I need to add more for break in? I'm just put putting around at idle to almost 1/4 throttle. She needs tuning bad, but later when she's set.

Attachments

Nanfoe

Oct 15, 2016
Florida
Gonna rebuild tonite just took a compression test for the **** of it and she only lost 2.5 PSI compression after @ least 500 Mi. Epic!
20180417_195709.jpg