what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Was riding down the street and my motor lugged out at a light. Turns out I forgot to put the fine tune clutch cable screw back in when I was dinking around on it the other day, and the cable housing was slipping deeper into the motor's guide slot. So, I adjusted my clutch, greased my chain, and tightened my brakes. Rides like a champ again! :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Road up and down the block to chex the tune all's well-I would like to try a #77 or #78 jet I'm running with a #76 4th clip slot down on the metering rod - I have no drills smaller then a #76 it's fine the-problem is the exhaust-I'm scavenging fine but port blocking and any" back flow " can't remember what that's called, is not good after 7/8 throttle 35mph+ up slight hill a little better down that street
maybe if I crimp down the 3-3/4 out side circumference head pipe just before the muffler body it would help with some back pressure the stinger is tuned good I think the head pipe is the problem at top end
Wow #76 - #78 those are some verty small bits (jets)..!

Are you running a 48cc or a 66cc engine?

I went with a #74 on one engine the other day after replacing the NT carb with a different (NT) one, and the engine was way lean on the jet plug run light gray and engine had a bad low end dead spot with no torque at all, I went up to a #72 bit and that got me a nice medium brown plug with the mtering needle clip set second notch from the top, the engie has been ported, port matched, shaved head, SBP expansion chamber exhaust,this may be the reason it needs the jet size it settled in on.

This is were I get my wire gauge bits, they have the replacements for cheap or the sets for cheap and they are good little bits, been using mine for almost 2 years now and they are still nice and sharp.

Link: Widget Supply: Wire Gauge Drills

Peace

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

Today I think I finally got my clutch cable installed correctly. Regardless of how much I seemed to adjust my cable to give it enough tension to disengage, it just didn't seem to work. After installing a new clutch lever(the button broke on my old one) I would pull up to a stop, grab the lever, press the button and my bike would try to walk forward. I finally replaced the cable housing which used to be a brake type with a new index derailleur cable housing. I also made sure that it was cut squarely with the use of a fiber carbide cutting tool and crimped new ends on the housing.

I also replaced the clutch cover which on my new engine that showed the horsepower and displacement with one off one of my old motors. I now have a "clean slate" as it were.

All I did this afternoon was right around the block but I think that I finally solved this particular problem.

mike

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Wow #76 - #78 those are some verty small bits (jets)..!

Are you running a 48cc or a 66cc engine?

I went with a #74 on one engine the other day after replacing the NT carb with a different (NT) one, and the engine was way lean on the jet plug run light gray and engine had a bad low end dead spot with no torque at all, I went up to a #72 bit and that got me a nice medium brown plug with the mtering needle clip set second notch from the top, the engie has been ported, port matched, shaved head, SBP expansion chamber exhaust,this may be the reason it needs the jet size it settled in on.

This is were I get my wire gauge bits, they have the replacements for cheap or the sets for cheap and they are good little bits, been using mine for almost 2 years now and they are still nice and sharp.

Link: Widget Supply: Wire Gauge Drills

Peace
yep-#76 Suzuki 50cc moped head reed and exhaust pipe port matched on a RAW 66CC nttc carb clip set secant grove from the top 40/1 oil heavy frame cruiser balloon tires 26in. 40psi the play in the magnet is set 1/4 past retard I weigh 195lb. Mentone Ca. 1,500 feet above sea level plug is ngk b-10h medium brown runs strong 35ish up hw38 40+ down climes steep foot hill vary well-60 65 mpg.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

The Tanaka 47R engine's sparkplug has 500 miles on it, but I decided to replace it anyway. Afterwards, I rode to the pancake restaurant where I met my wife and son for brunch. After leaving them, I rode to town five miles away and purchased 2-cycle oil. In order to burn my last few ounces of fuel in my four-liter HT tank, I rode a few more miles to Ala Moana Park, a very popular beach for surfers and picknickers. There is a Festival of Lanterns Event happening this evening. The park was almost full, so police closed off the west entrance that I was approaching. Since traffic was at a gridlock, I hopped the curb, killed my engine and pedalled past the cop and into the park(no response from him). Cruising through the crowded park, I found my favorite tree. It is always available because it's next to the broad sidewalk and faces incoming traffic. There was just enough shade for me to rest for half an hour. Off I went to my apartment getaway, where I watered my plant, picked up my 72t sprocket, freewheel and new crank arm. Having chilled for an hour, I started the eight-mile trek home. I was running on fumes, so two miles into the home stretch, I pulled into a Chevron station, shut the engine off and closed the petcock. After filling half a gallon, I poured in the oil and finished pumping gas. To ensure that the oil mixed well, I pedalled a couple blocks, making sure to run off and on the curbs for more jiggle and slosh. Following that, the Tanaka 47R engine fired up and pushed me home in quick fashion. Top speed of 67kph(41.9mph) was hit in a 56kph(35mph) speed limit zone, but I like to cruise at 56kph(35mph).xct2

Reaching home, there was very little oil mist to wipe down. The tank is full, tire pressure is @ 50psi.

I'm all set for tomorrow's commute to work!dance1

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

At about 8.30 I got my GT5.
Install went pretty smooth. A lot of stuff I didn't have to deal with. My custom exhaust from the last build, chain length was right, tensioner works, already had sprocket on, handle controls are there... Pretty much just slap the engine on and go.

Only issue was the exhaust stud on the right side of the bike stripped, the annoying one to access. grumble. I think I still have some 6mm rod...
When it was nice and dark out, I had it running.
Fired right up on the very first kick of the pedal. Let it idle a bit, then took it for a short ride up the hill and back down to my garage. Runs pretty well. I'll put some miles on it tomorrow. Hopefully break it in enough I can crack the throttle open a bit and see how the motor does!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I fixed a little problem with my throttle handle. The plastic on the handle where the noodle screws in is broken a little. So I screwed the noodle in the whole way and it stayed tight. I also had a problem with the throttle grip twisting backwards and the cable end coming loose. With the noodle screwed in all the way, it prevents the grip from twisting backwards. So two birds with one stone. I also put the stock throttle spring back in. Test rode it a couple times to make sure everything was ok, including chain alignment, because I had to make some adjustments yesterday to keep the chain on. Everything seems good to go, but this aint the first time I have said that, so time will tell.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York

Went for a short ride. Hopefully getting a new bike: Huffy Good Vibrations. I think that's what it is. Gonna take a look at it

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

I finally got all the Chinee parts sent off to all that bought them.

Now for that Morini:)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

It rained these past two days; I commuted more carefully, though.

The tank's rear rack location prevented the "racoon stripe" down my back. The engine and pipe location shielded most of the water spray onto me.

Raining or not, it was still the best part of my work day.

I can't wait for the weekend, so I'll have time to swap my 63t chainring sprocket to 72t sprocket.xct2

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

@5-7HEAVEN : You're lucky - I had to get a front fender, road sand would end up all over my face and front of my jacket to the point where after 4-5 miles I couldn't see through my glasses.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

LOL, actually water spray hits my glasses too. Upon reaching work, I simply wash my face and clean my glasses.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

Put about 40 milen on the new engine. Runs great!

Put the CNS on... It doesn't even run well enough to drive on a straight away....
This will take a little tinkering. Back to NT for now.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Well, haven't done anything to a bike today yet.............But I did get soem of the parts & pieces I had ordered in today, I got my new RT Carb. from Duane @ Thats Dax, Thanks Duane, looks like a good carb, got the extra 2 jets with it si that will come in handy in the tuning department, I'm assuming it has the #68 jet installed already because the extras are a #70 & #80.

I also got my new China Girl lower end, and the 32T sprocket I had ordered for a 24" project I have in mind.

still waiting on a few more parts to come in and I ordered some of the KBK10X14X13 Heavy Duty wrist pin needle Bearings today, these will go in all my engines in the near future, I also ordered some double lipped 17X28X5mm Crankshaft Seals, should have these bearings and seals by Monday and maybe the rest of my stuff will be here by then also.

Gonna pull the SBP Expansion Chamber Exhaust off the Kulana Moondog bike since it is waiting on a new upper needle bearing and put that pipe on the Karaoke and see if I can see a noticable difference over the exhaust thats on it now, I had an expansion chanmber on it but I think it was just way to big and the lead off pipe was just way to long for it to be effective so now I will know for sure if the SBP pipe makes an improvement over the exhaust I had made for it, I will make no other changes accept the pipe and see how it runs and pulls on the hills for a comparison.

well thats it for now, I guess I better get out there and get busy, I'll post result later on this evening if at all possible.

Peace

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Well got the expansion pipe put on and went for a 7 mile trip on the same roads I always ride on around here, and I have to say that the bike does pull the hills a tad bit better and it may accelerate just a tad bit better as well, top speed remains the same not a mph more not a mph less, I hit 41.6 mph and it will hold steady at 38-39mph on the flat & will maintain 26-30MPH on the hills around here and is much quiter also.

So my conclusion is that the SBP Expansion Chamber Exhaust does a great all around job of increasing the torque and flowing free enough to allow a good top speed and it does it pretty darn quite too.

Now, this is a bone stock engine internally, nothing polished, nothing deburred, nothing tweaked other than the carb jet has been reduced by soldering up and redrilling with a #72 bit.

Bike has a 36T sprocket which I made from a small kids bike by drilling all the holes in it for the rag joint coupler.

When I get my new upper rod-wristpin bearings and seals in and I get a few more miles on this engine I will do some minor port work make better gasket for jug to engine case and take a few thousands off the head and I may give it a wider squish band that more closely matches the bore to its outer edge, not sure this will help anything but I'm sure it cant hurt, then this engine will get the new RT carb. and nice air filter I just got in from Duane at Thats Dax......

I may need to shorten the lead pipe from engine to expansion chamber, not sure yet, it is running pretty good like it is so I will likely leave it alone until I get all the other stuff done to this engine and then I may tweak it a bit.

it's just kinda rigged up on it right now as you can see in the pic but that was a quick get-ur done deal to see how it would perform.......

I'm Happy with it......

Peace

Attachments

Last edited:

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

scratgscratgTo prove that I have too much time on my hands, I tore Scooteriste Rouge (Red Rider) down and painted everything-------what else, RED. Everything that is but the cantilever frame which needs a fork stop welded in place first thing in the am (I need the sunlight on the east side of the garage so I can see to weld!!!! I also swapped out the original POS tube on the rear of the Whiz and replaced with a Bontrager thornproof tube. At 30 psi she's hard as a no-flat. Tomorrow will help my bud uncrate his new ride from California Scooter Company.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Raised the E clip on the needle a notch and it runs better, less 4 stroking. Noticed a squeak fron the head tube on the OP and sure enough, no grease on the lower bearing. There was grease on the upper bearing, but the bottom was dry. Fixed that and the steering is much better.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Have not had a chance to ride for a week or so. Really didn't today but had to do a local store and bank run. Also sending Happy to Zuender in Germany tomorrow and wanted some pics.
But Man! 72F, slight breeze and just an awesome ride. One of them rides that should take 20 mins but turns into 2 hrs.
Put my drive chain back on 2ce. LOL, I really gotta fix that. Just not enough hrs in the day