what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Where's the fun in that.....??!! All kidding aside, I probably get as much enjoyment out of 'tinkering' as I do riding.
Ill second that...... love the tinkering and the mods..... fun fun... but hey low maintenance is great to.

Desired maintenance is much better than required maintenance.

Map

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Tinkering is a favorite pastime of mine too. I just got done taking a little bit of slack out of the headset. It'd probably been there for a while but I decided to get around to it. Then I went over the whole bike checking for loose stuff. Nothing else.
I'm not bragging, really - my bike is hard to tinker on. I can fine-tune sometimes, but I worked so hard getting it together the best way I could that nothing much happens with it (*knocking on wood*). For a cheap Dax China Girl, she has always been more reliable than even my old Dodge Caravan, and that's saying a lot (*beating hard on some wood*). Before I jinx myself further, I'll just finish by saying that once I'd satisfied myself that no more tinkering could be done, I rode that girl for a good long while.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Tested it today with the new top end. Timing isnt right. the base is 1mm thicker than my other cylinder. difference lies at the bottom of the cylinder. the base is not machined down far enough and raises my ports 1mm. throws off the timing something awful and it vibes a good bit.

looks like ill order an actual GT-5 cylinder from gasbike or kings....

also put this quick video together :D

http://youtu.be/OiraYAJEjb0

(may not be live for a bit yet. check back in 20 min)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Tested it today with the new top end. Timing isnt right. the base is 1mm thicker than my other cylinder. difference lies at the bottom of the cylinder. the base is not machined down far enough and raises my ports 1mm. throws off the timing something awful and it vibes a good bit.

looks like ill order an actual GT-5 cylinder from gasbike or kings....

also put this quick video together :D

http://youtu.be/OiraYAJEjb0

(may not be live for a bit yet. check back in 20 min)
Darn it hate to hear of the engine trouble.

Hope you get it all lined out soon.

Map

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Darn it hate to hear of the engine trouble.

Hope you get it all lined out soon.

Map
I ordered a proper GT5 Cylinder direct from kingsmotorbikes where i bought the original kit. I'm hoping that does the trick once I do my own special work to it :D

Bonus parts .....
Ok if that was the vid of engine missing/timing what did I miss?
Parts of the video. Mostly the last 2 segments of it. The initial clips are when it was running very well - not 100%. When it was perfect the bike would do a GPS verified 43.62mph. During the nighttime clips it was right around 38mph.

somewhere i lost my top end. Either way, i've gotten a new cylinder body coming ready to port and smooth out and toss on the bike. Hoping that will cross the 40 mark again with the timing corrected.

in the meantime while i wait for parts to arrive i have to get 2 snapped front motor mount studs out of my friend (seen in the video) matt's bike. somehow he sheared them off and didnt notice until right before we nearly embarked on a 80mi journey yesterday!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ordered a proper GT5 Cylinder direct from kingsmotorbikes where i bought the original kit. I'm hoping that does the trick once I do my own special work to it :D

Parts of the video. Mostly the last 2 segments of it. The initial clips are when it was running very well - not 100%. When it was perfect the bike would do a GPS verified 43.62mph. During the nighttime clips it was right around 38mph.

somewhere i lost my top end. Either way, i've gotten a new cylinder body coming ready to port and smooth out and toss on the bike. Hoping that will cross the 40 mark again with the timing corrected.

in the meantime while i wait for parts to arrive i have to get 2 snapped front motor mount studs out of my friend (seen in the video) matt's bike. somehow he sheared them off and didnt notice until right before we nearly embarked on a 80mi journey yesterday!
Hope you get things fixed up and back to good soon.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Hope you get things fixed up and back to good soon.
Thanks! Im hoping to have my friends motor off tonight (in other words he is coming over to take it apart while i supervise.... i didnt break it after all!) so we can get that sorted out, then I'll be taking my original 43mph cylinder to have the exhaust stud holes helicoiled if possible.

If i cant save the old cylinder... i have a new one on order just needs ported and height checked upon arrival.

I'll be compiling a new video tonight with some footage from around the Philly Art museum as well as some miscellaneous riding footage i've captured.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks! Im hoping to have my friends motor off tonight (in other words he is coming over to take it apart while i supervise.... i didnt break it after all!) so we can get that sorted out, then I'll be taking my original 43mph cylinder to have the exhaust stud holes helicoiled if possible.

If i cant save the old cylinder... i have a new one on order just needs ported and height checked upon arrival.

I'll be compiling a new video tonight with some footage from around the Philly Art museum as well as some miscellaneous riding footage i've captured.
Good luck with the buds bike and with the heli coil project, heli coils are very easy to install and work great for bad threads in aluminum.

looking forward to the next video.

Map
reddd

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I finished running the pipe to the rear on The Pig today, after a long trip downtown. I got tired of smelling exhaust every time I turned around.
A tiny bit quieter as well. Need to repack the silencer with some excellent 3m scuff pad like material I scored from the side of the road. I think it's industrial air filter, has a texture just like a 3m scuff pad and holds up very well as packing. Much longer than fiberglass...
Maybe tomorrow.
Downtown by the bluff before the pipe work.

The longer pipe finished!

Also saw an old customer for some repairs. He broke his coaster brake retainer and spun the bearings all out of whack. Fixed him right up. Thrilled to see my frame repair and mount are holding up just fine.
Man I still LOVE these beefy wheels! Owner still won't sell it to me. :(

Jack Riggi

Aug 25, 2013
Indian Rocks Beach fl.
Where's the fun in that.....??!! All kidding aside, I probably get as much enjoyment out of 'tinkering' as I do riding.
my wife is alerlergic to gas can't have any gas in the garage so now I just tinker with electric! what a shock if u mess up! got 3 electric EV's . mini-mini - extreme 2012 e-bike & my 94 Goldwing 6cil. that I took the gas motor out & put a big fork lift motor in it. like a big bicycle! I give up even trying to post pictures on this form to hard for me to follow instruction on the computer easy you but to complicated for me! if you want to see pictures go to my Facebook page you can see there what is going on just log on to Jack Riggi it is open to public! if you check it out let me know what you think before I go to jail for my 7 tickets on my new ride! I tried to post a picture but it failed again!.shft.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Raining here today so no work outside could be done on anything but, I did make up several Chain tensioner rollers, made one and mailed it to fellow motorbiker and forum member, and then got a wild hair and decided to make up a few more since I had the roler wheels just sitting in a box begging to get GROOVY.....!
dance1

so now I have some Yellow ones, Green ones, White ones and one Red one left, fairly time consuming but didn't have much else to do so I just made up more Rollers than I would ever need in two life times....LOL!

Peace, Map
reddd