Motorbicycling 101

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's a short primer to the Chinese built in-frame bicycle motor kit.

50-70cc piston ported (old, old school) two stroke.
Dry plate clutch (like a car), single speed transmission.
1-3 claimed horsepower.
25-45 mph top speed. (not recommened for the faint of heart)
Can be operated comfortably from 10-25 mph continuously.
100-150+ mpg!
Can be mounted on a suitable bicycle in 4-12 hours, depending on how thorough you are.
Adds about 20 lbs. to the bike.

Anybody want to add anything before I lock and sticky this thread?

Last edited:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Hey folks,
its Rob in CONN. how many people do you think are involved in this hobby?...just curious,Ive only met 2 in my area but im the only one that seems to be riding...any more CONN. folks out there?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Biking 101, once you build one you will most defiantly build more. Its a very addicting hobby because it is fairly cheap and a hole lot of fun , now if there was a way to make it legitimate thru out the entire USA we would see more and more of these MB around every town. We need more legislators in our corner

AndyT

Mar 27, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think one important point is that builders need to find a good, sturdy bike with strong wheels that are in good shape, I have read about a few accidents from hub and wheel failure and that could have been prevented. If you have an older bike, installing new bearings and greasing them well, and replacing rusted, fatigued spokes with heavier stainless spokes (have a pro do the job) can mean the difference between a safe ride and danger.

I would beware of super cheap department store bikes as well. Quality costs a little more and your future may depend on it.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Bravo Andy! Well said! I will say it again, these bikes were NOT designed to go as fast as we push them. Buy a good bike and use common sense when riding! Schwinn & Huffy are a good place to start. (c)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Huffy's are not good bikes. Look closely at the so-called "welds" on them.
Older bikes in good shape are 100 times better than junk from W mart.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
It is truly mind blowing how many folks when they get there first bike just wanna go fast. I caught that bug on my first build and ashamed of myself for bragging up potential bad behavior . It really is just a bicycle. If one wants to go at uber speeds get a motorcycle! All that said there will always be someone saying how fast they can go. We will soon be taxed on it or even illegal?!!!!!!! I like the older frames as well . This sport is do able lots of good stuff out there need to think of everything including a accident,what will brake, what will fail, just need to practice good since and judgment! Please don't piss people off. Fight the good fight!!!!! My 2 cents lol

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
No doubt those old bikes are worth their weight in gold, but a lot of us, me included, don't have the accessibility to get or find them for a reasonable cost.

I don't know about the Huffy, but from what I've seen at W M, I don't like any of them. Nothin' but crap hubs on them. When I look at bikes now, all I look at are the wheels. What kind of hubs? What kind of spokes? What gauge are they? And, what kind of rims?

Outside of a good frame, I believe the wheels are the most important thing to make sure you have right.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Huffy's are not good bikes. Look closely at the so-called "welds" on them.
Older bikes in good shape are 100 times better than junk from W mart.
Hey,its Rob in Wallyworld.....my skyliner had a rear derailer wich I took off,seemed like a good Idea,only problem now is too tight or too loose,ive burned a couple hubs this way,one about 8 mi from home,I really dont wanna put it back would it be safe to run loose with a tensioner or possibly cut into the stays to give it some slack?....suggestions? im sure someone else has had this problem

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
I dont envision going fast any more. I'm too sensative to pain.
Do I need a shifter and gears?
If I have a motor, does it start when I have to pedal up a hill, with some kind of a clutch or do I have to reach a Pull-Rope and start it?

Speaking of going fast and the Pain of defeat, how about the brakes? I never was too happy with those rubber Disk brakes. Is that the norm?

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
As the song goes: Most men want (1) faster horses, (2) better women, and (3) more money.

In my life, (2) consumed way too much of (3). I never lost desire for (1).

Ride hard, ride safe, and keep it legal.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I bought my Cranbrook from walmart.. bought it to put the engine on, but it did seem too shakey for an engine.. it rides nice and pedals easy.. so I used an older roadmaster huffy mountain bike I happen to remember I had... still got the Cranbrook as a pedal bike