Reverend "Iggy" A Felt Taxi Mid drive lunatic

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Finally time to start a build thread! Had this bike for a while now and been tinking on it here and there. So far I've had: A 90mm Sturmey Archer drum brake laced into the front with black 12G spokes; and a Sturmey Archer 3 speed IGH with another 90 mm drum out back, again with 12G spokes. New WW Thick Bricks. Down hill tubes and a fancy motor cycle headlight with 12V power in a pouch on the bars. Home hammered custom mounting bracket for the light. Pictures! ( last one is Reverend Iggy from "TAXI" )

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Was using it as a replacement for my Felt Torch for excersizing the dog ( and a little bit me ) till my hip pain became unmanagable. Time to electrify! The black log on the bars is a JBL bluetooth speaker system for tunes while riding :)

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
12/16 I ordered the HotRod / unrestricted version of the Bafang BBSHD and a 52V 13.5 ah battery pack from Luna Cycle!! This thing is gonna MOVE even with my fat a$$ on it!! Got the motorcycle headlight off ebay. The thing is a real hi / lo beam LED and very bright.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Power source is a car jump starter I got off the "bay" for almost no money. Its almost the same size as my cell phone but will jump a F250 diesel! I got 2; one for the car and one for the bike. Sacrificed the plug in clamps and wired in a on off switch. Put it all in a leather bag on the bars. Ridden it at night a few times just around the block and its plenty bright enough.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Moto! I just pulled a 12 hr night shift and gotta do another tonight. I'm off to bed but will post more tomorrow.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Yes! I saw that thread. SEXY BUILD! I was wondering how the stock chainring worked out. I have heard some badmouthing of it as far as chains getting thrown as opposed to the Luna or Lekkie rings. Plus everyone says they'r ugly... Not when they'r CHROMED they aint!! Nice job Wolf e!!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ive had issues using Adel clamps for brake torque arm stays. My solution wasnt pretty but worked very well. I wanted something cleaner for this build so I did a lot of net snooping. Found THIS! Hinged P clamp. Works a treat and strong like bull! Wont be snappin this one. Started a little loose but a rubber spacer filled the void and saved the paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Was really hoping to put the motor INSIDE the frame tubes as opposed to hanging below. I wont know till have the motor to test fit but I think the brace for the chain guard may foil my evil plans.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Got email from Luna Cycles yesterday. The kit and battery may ship this week. Motor is in queue for hot rod programing. OOH. Santa ghonna bring me a HOT ROD Taxi for Festivus! laff

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm very interested in this build. I have been wanting to use the same motor in a Felt Twin or old version canvas frame, but I'm not sure if there is enough room between the outside dia of the American BB and the motor. I've looked far and wide on the web to see if anyone has done this but haven't seen a working example. I figured maybe it could be done using a custom offset BB adapter.
I had the same idea about keeping the motor on the inside of the frame but assumed I would grind off the chain guard mount. Are you hoping to keep the chainguard on the bike? It would be nice if there was a way to do that.

You mentioned you have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed IGH with another 90 mm drum out back. How did you use a 90mm drum brake with that IGH? Can you post pictures?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Not sure what you mean by enough room between the BB and motor. Are you talking about the motor's drive shaft length through the BB? They make 3 sizes / lengths.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I like your p clamp solution for the brake arm. I doubled up 2 adel clamps inside 1 rubber sleeve but the bike is just pedal powered. If I'm able to go electric with the Felt bike I'll use your idea for peace of mind.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I've seen a build on another forum but cant find it just now. I'll keep looking ( later ) but I've been in contact with the folks at Luna Cycle and they know full well what I'm up to, and they haven't said: NO! STOP! DOONT DOOOO IT!!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I did the double Adell in one rubber trick and it FAILED on me in spectacular fashion. Pay the 10 or 13 $ for a good PEE. ( clamp )