magneto ( white cable ? )

GoldenMotor.com

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
I am posting duely because i read that i dont need to use my white cable on my bike? So i wrapped it with electrical tape and set it to the side.

This wire is used for what on a stock build? I suppose i could use this to power a light or such yes? But i have read it causes the lost of power?

What are the pros and cons ? I have also read about increasing the generated power from these? What do you guys think about this?

Do you use yours? where do you use it?

Interested in hearing your stories!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you type in 'white wire' to our 'search' feature you'll have plenty to read on this subject.

Generally speaking the white wire is useless and has been eliminated from later kit engines. It is only capable of providing about 3 watts and that isn't enough for good lighting. There are some members who have some electrical knowledge who have managed to get some use from the white wire but it takes some knowledge and experience with solid state electronics. Something many of us don't have.

A good SLA, sealed lead/acid battery will provide you with both the voltage and amp hours for lights. I can get well over an hour of good, usable light from a 55 watt headlight using a 12 volt, 7.5 amp hour battery which can be recharged in a few hours.

Good luck.

Tom

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Not much can be done with 3 Watts. Especially when the max voltage I have ever gotten from a white wire was 6 volts at wide open throttle, unloaded, highest achievable rpm. That's 0.5A at 6 volts. And not DC volts, that's AC volts. So rectify that and you're looking at around 2.5 to 3V DC (same kind of voltage a battery uses, not like your house voltage).

Anyway, it's worthless to try and squeeze anything out of the white wire. You draw power from the ignition, so your engine will be loaded down, and you will most likely burn out the magneto coil before putting out any useful voltage.