Looking to experemnt with 4 strokes

GoldenMotor.com

grathado

Sep 28, 2015
mississippi
Whats up forum! i'm about to throw down for a new bike and motor and this time i would like to go 4 stroke because i have been reading the forums and there are people that pious about the 4 strokes.

My real question is what 4 stroke should i buy that will give me 25-30 speeds like my stock two stroke and ease of instillation i have an 800-900$ budget on this :D

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Hey there, do you have in mind what kind of bike you're looking to use?
Here's a thread with some good info: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42886

You might want to be more specific about what you want to do. A lot of people will mention the Harbor Freight 79cc engine, there are lots of build threads on here that you could follow that use that engine. From what I know, the HF 79cc is a pretty hard build.

People will probably bring up the Huasheng 142F, great engines but on the lower-quality spectrum because of the cheap price tag. If you haven't already I would do some research on those bad-boys, but for your situation it's probably not the best bet.

Since you have a hefty budget, I would say go for a nice Honda engine. I'm assuming you want to do an in-frame build, but may I suggest a friction drive? Those are the easiest to install and very easy to maintain. Staton inc sells a solid Honda Friction Drive kit for about $350. With your budget you could buy that kit, and a nice mountain bike and you could finish your build in one afternoon.

Although I do admit a friction drive build would be quite boring and possibly "too easy"...anyway good luck on your build I hope I helped!

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
None of them will mount easier than the other. The hf 79 with a decent clutch back to a jackshaft(or get one of those plates) then decide on chain or belt drive...whizzer sheave makes the belt easier. While you're shopping there grab one of their tanks,they're a lot better than the cheap kit leakers.
You could also search craigslist and I'll bet you can buy a decent used whizzer for that price. I've done it twice and passed on several.

grathado

Sep 28, 2015
mississippi
could you help me find the link to a Honda motor that will fit inflame for like a beach cruiser? i wanted a Honda but the only ones i could find mounted funny

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Look for gc160 engines...I think they mount straight up on a plate you'ld hafta weld or clamp on

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
That little pipsqueak engine is over $400....bye bye budget.
Careful when buying honda engines on pumps and other equipment, some have a metric shaft that you can't buy clutches for.
Btw the hf 79 is under $100 usually and it has a 5/8 shaft

grathado

Sep 28, 2015
mississippi
yeah i think i will go the hf then i can afford fancy brakes and springers and stuff :D thanks for the advice, now i will dos research on it lol

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Not that you have to have a torque converter, but if you do, you should make sure the driver element will fit on the engine cranks shaft and have enough length and proper key way. The centrifugal clutches also the same thing. The bigger engines they say are needed for the torque converters or they really don't work well. The torque converters mostly need bigger diameter crankshafts than 5/8. So 3/4 and up.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
They do make a slotted bushing Fastenal and a 3/16" x 1/4" keyway to fit 3/4 shaft, but like said the power might not be enough to really make it worth the trouble...........Curt

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
They do make a slotted bushing Fastenal and a 3/16" x 1/4" keyway to fit 3/4 shaft, but like said the power might not be enough to really make it worth the trouble...........Curt
Problem is the drivers are keyed...it's tricky to get the parts working