An interesting part of my commute.

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm pretty lucky. Most of my commute is pretty scenic and pretty peaceful. I've even thought about making a video of my entire commute. But it would take a real die-hard MB fan to sit through a half hour commute video. Especially one filmed by an amateur who doesn't know a thing about video production.

But today I did film a 5 minute segment of my commute that includes a fairly intense climb.

There are four or five spots where I had to help the engine by pedaling. So the camera is shaky in those spots. But they don't last real long.

https://youtu.be/hZsgoSuZqNo

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ha ha, and there are people who think Illinois is flat...You know it's not and so do I. Now everyone can see it's a hilly place, but pretty too.

Thanks for sharing, Blue. Have you considered a bigger rear sprocket?

Tom

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I would not try that turn @ 1:37 in anything I own, not even the M35.

I was waiting for the screech of brakes from some clown to the right of that line of stopped traffic doing 50+ mph.

Riding a bicycle around here is a bit more dangerous I guess. Looks like you have some nice places to ride.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Ha ha, and there are people who think Illinois is flat...You know it's not and so do I. Now everyone can see it's a hilly place, but pretty too.

Thanks for sharing, Blue. Have you considered a bigger rear sprocket?

Tom
Yes, I have considered it. But then my bike would be screaming on level rides. I just can't take that.

I would not try that turn @ 1:37 in anything I own, not even the M35.

I was waiting for the screech of brakes from some clown to the right of that line of stopped traffic doing 50+ mph.

Riding a bicycle around here is a bit more dangerous I guess. Looks like you have some nice places to ride.

I'm really not as reckless as that shot would make me look. For one thing, the camera just seems to exaggerate the speed of things. But also I know that intersection like the back of my hand and I know the traffic patterns and habits there. Plus that right lane was only a turn lane that started just at the back of that 'quickie-lube' place. Had there been a car there, I'd have known it and I'd have slammed on the brakes. Also I normally wouldn't scream through an intersection like that except that if I hope to get very far up that hill, then I need to get some RPMs going and I don't have much space to get them.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Goat

Was fun for me trying to figure out what neighborhood you were riding. You can see the overpass before you turn at the quicklube. Is that the 474 overpass? Everytime I drive my car down the hill on Farmington Road by the race track I think about how much fun that would be going down that on my bike.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nope. Not 474.

That was in East Peoria, right near Caterpillar.

Looking toward that overpass you're looking South on SR 29. Normally that's the way I go home. The hill is much more gentle. But it's being re-paved right now and I'm not taking my bike in there. I also don't go that way in the heart of winter, when there's a bunch of snow and ice on the shoulder.

In my video I took a route that I don't usually take. When I started up the hill and turned right you might have noticed that I could have gone straight. That's usually the way I go up that hill. That roundabout way that I did take is not all that much less steep, anyway, plus it's a long way around. And I wouldn't want to go up that in icy conditions either.

The 'straight up the hill' way is actually better than one might think. There was a time when I used to climb that hill on a pedal bike, every day, without stopping. I lived at the top of that hill at the time and it was my only way home. In recent years I've found that a rest about 2/3 of the way up is in order. Turning back while resting I'd get a terrific view of East Peoria, Cat, the river and the city. All lit up. Always nice.

I am aging. And I think that my days of riding a pedal bike like a maniac might be dwindling. But I've found that my motored bike handles that hill well enough. Though I do have to help with pedaling. And I still take that rest stop. Not so much for me as for the sake of the engine.

When I reach that point, engine rpms are getting pretty low. So I pull into a parking area below this one apartment building. I have a look at the view and then get going again. Coming out of that parking lot I'm going not far from level. That gives me to chance to build some rpms and tackle the rest of the hill.

I might continue going home that way even after the highway construction is done. Though this way is definitely steeper it's also a good deal more peaceful.

And winter isn't a problem either since that hill is always the first to get plowed and salted.

We've reached the time of year that I'm commuting in the dark. But maybe I'll try to do another vid where I go straight up that hill. I'll include the stop and show the view in the video. If an after dark video works at all, then it ought to be pretty neat.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The one thing I really like about your video is the pre walk around of the bike. It's very frustrating to watch a video and have no idea of what the bike looks like.