I made a chain guard

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Everyone,

Not the most exciting post I have made, but I wanted to share some photos of a primary chain guard I have recently fabricated. I am still trying to get my bike to go a little faster on the race track, so i have taken some friends' advice (Thanks Andy, Jeff, and Scotto) and am going to try out a Bully-type clutch on my bike instead of the comet clutch set up.

The use of a chain on the primary drive necessitated the use of a chain guard. I never used a guard for the comet belt, and it never posed a risk. But the exposed chain seemed dangerous. What seemed like a short little project turned out to be quite a few weeks of pondering, pounding, re-pondering and finally cutting and brazing.

I originally wanted to make the two cylinders that cover the clutch and sprocket to have rounded caps, so I looked up metal shaping on youtube, made a shaping stump, and started pounding away. I have a couple of shots of what I came out with. Not too bad for a first try, but I could not get a tight enough radius on the cap, and it came out looking like a thousand bees stung it.

So I went back to flat sided fabrication, not as cool looking, but functional and within my realm of ability.

The bike will go faster than it used to, although it takes a little longer to get going from a stand still. I will fiddle with my gear ratio and have ordered a better clutch.

Thanks for looking,

Glbert

Attachments

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi Gilbert--

nice job of do it yourself...

one idea for such things that Silverbear recently posted was using cooking pots/pans- be it steel, stainless or aluminum fabricate/cut your pieces (the connections) and braze, stick, mig, tig or bolt???

saves the stump beating/time!

ride safe

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
As a "stump beater" of nearly 30 years that is a very good go at it for the first attempt. You should be proud of the work knowing how much effort it was. Anyone who has any knowledge of what you tried to do would be impressed.

Dan

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Well that was mighty kind of you Dan. Thanks for the compliment. It's too bad you live on the other side of the country, I would very much like to visit your shop and pick up some tips/skills. I have read and seen the pictures of the work you have done with silverbear and I could tell you know what you are doing.

It was satisfying to take a piece of flat metal and shape it with rudimentary tools. I have not given up yet. I may try to fashion some tucking forks. That seemed to be where I got stuck, I had a hard time getting sharp and deep creases.

Gilbert