Bultaco Brinco

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Another new powerful electric bicycle coming on the market. This one is similar in power and weight to a Stealth Fighter, but less expensive.

Bultaco calls the Brinco a Moto-Bike, but it's what most people would consider a classic moped with pedals being assisted by some source of extra power. In this case, the grunt comes from an electric motor mounted to the rear wheel hub that produces a peak 4 horsepower (3 kilowatts) and 44 pound-feet of torque. It feeds from a one kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery mounted on the frame. The whole setup gives the Brinco an assisted range of about 19 miles, but obviously that can be supplemented by pedaling. A full recharge when hooked up to a wall socket takes about two hours.

While the concept of an electric bicycle isn't new, the Brinco tries to bring something new to the table by latching onto Bultaco's old school, offroad DNA. Up front the bike has an inverted fork suspension with 7.9-inches of travel, and the rear monoshock offers 8.7 inches. Riders also should be able to stop on a dime too thanks to disc brakes at both ends. The whole thing is packaged onto an aluminum frame and weighs a total of about 73 pounds.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/19/bultaco-returns-new-offroad-electric-bike/#image-2

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks for sharing Biknut......I'd gladly trade one of my old vintage Bultaco's for that fine steed! I'm gonna have to let Santa know that my wish list has been modified....

:D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't blame you. These are exciting times for bikes like this, and this is just the beginning. I think it's pretty interesting Bultaco decided to make an electric bicycle like this instead of just a motorcycle.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I don't blame you. These are exciting times for bikes like this, and this is just the beginning. I think it's pretty interesting Bultaco decided to make an electric bicycle like this instead of just a motorcycle.
Now I know why I kept my Bultaco jersey from 1970 and it's still in good shape. Actually I bought it in the late 60's from Floyd Emde Bultaco here in San Diego......that was a few years ago laff

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got to warn you Scotto, don't look at that bike, or think about anymore. You know what happened to me last year lol.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I remember when Bultaco's were common, even around here. Any scrambles track you could find, people were riding them.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
They were great bikes! I had a 175cc Lobito, and a 250cc Matador. Wish I had em back!
Well, if this new electric one is as good as the bikes of old, then that will really be something.

It's a sigh of the times that a highly regarded, but defunct marque like Bultaco, would rise from the ashes as a 21st century electric bike.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wonder if any of Senior Bultos family is still involved. Brinco almost sounds like a name formed from an amalgamation of a company on the west side of the Pacific Rim. Kinda like the Chinese gun manufacturer Norinco.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think there's reason to think that motorcycles in the future, might have pedals. I can think of a few reasons for that.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
They were great bikes! I had a 175cc Lobito, and a 250cc Matador. Wish I had em back!
That's funny cannonball, I owned both of those enduros as well.....black and red was the Matador and the yellow tank Lobito was the bike that I took my riders test on at the DMV for my M1 license when I was 16 years old.

The Matador had the detuned 250cc Pursang engine and was a fun bike on the trails. I liked the fiberglass tanks and the trimmings on the old Bultaco's.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Bultaco 250 Pursang is one of the reasons I LOVE two strokes so much!
That bike changed me forever.
So did my Maico 400.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's too cool Scotto! I loved the old Matador, but thought I was really happening with the Lobito. Loved the fiberglass seat/tank. I weighed about 125 then and that thing would fly! Seems like I remember it was around 30+hp and just over 200lbs. Would smoke most of the just emerging Japanese stuff easily. Smoked my bank account too. Seems like it was $1795. I believe a Yamaha DT1 250 was just under a grand, and my Hodaka Super Rat was even less. Still it was worth it!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
That's too cool Scotto! I loved the old Matador, but thought I was really happening with the Lobito. Loved the fiberglass seat/tank. I weighed about 125 then and that thing would fly! Seems like I remember it was around 30+hp and just over 200lbs. Would smoke most of the just emerging Japanese stuff easily. Smoked my bank account too. Seems like it was $1795. I believe a Yamaha DT1 250 was just under a grand, and my Hodaka Super Rat was even less. Still it was worth it!
I had one of those Yamahas. A previous owner put a 6 gallon glass tank on it so it ran forever on a fill up. I crashed it down a BIG gravel hill one time.
Big fun, man, and it made the ride to work an adventure.
I rebuilt the top end and it seized up because I didn't check the ring gaps.
Live and learn. It was pretty fast when it would get up on the pipe.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The 250cc Matador.....

The 175cc Lobito.....

The 60Nm Brinco.....

The 700cc Maico....

Wait.....scratch the Maico.....we're talkin' Bultaco's here :D

Yeah, I really like the electric.....it rivals everything else!

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Good looking classic bikes like Bultaco were put out of business by the newer, cheaper, and faster Japanese bikes. Looks went out the window for performance.

Soon the same thing will happen again, except this time they'll be electric.