Making the "Hoop"

GoldenMotor.com

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I've searched through all 20 pages of this forum with no prevail. Before I make the plunge to fab the hoop I was just wondering if there was any threads on it?

General measurements for reference, like how low the hoop is below the pedals.

I'm looking at 2 different styles for this build early 1900's Indian or Harley. I love the looks of the old frames and the slim simple lines.

I'm starting out with a FREE 26" roadmaster MB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brandon

DEVILSorchard

Jan 1, 2015
Calgary
Theres lots you can do to bend these. the trick is to make sure the sides are held tight to give you something solid to bend against and keep the pipe from kinking.

Ive used a bunch of hard wood boards laminated together then cut into a disc with the pipe diameter cut into the outside circumference. then bent the pipe around it with a lot of leverage.

You could even use a rubber hose of the same diameter to leave an imprint in cement to bend the pipe around. That works really well if you have one of those harbour freight pipe benders. Use the largest radius mandrel and fill it with cement to make it work with a small pipe with larger radius.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Here is a link to my build thread. Page four has some references to how I bent the drop loop. I used two pieces of 3/4" MDF fiberboard, routered both pieces with a 45 degree chamfer, screwed them together to create a channel for the pipe. I tightly packed the tubing with sand, and cold bent the tubing. I got a little tube distortion, it flattened out a little, but no kinks.

I don't have any dimensions for you, but I just measured the height of my engine, located where my crossbar would be and figured out how deep my loop needed to be.

I have also used a conduit bender tool with ok results, but access to a mandrel bender would be best.

Hope that helped,

Gilbert

DEVILSorchard

Jan 1, 2015
Calgary
Thats exactly what I did with my wood disc. I made a disc so I could rig it up on an old electric motor and use a chisel to carve out the radius of the pipe like it was on a lathe. Virtually eliminating any distortions when Id bent the pipe.

that bike is awesome btw.