I changed my Handle Bars

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have to confess, I've only shown you these bars from favorable angles. They don't look as good from every view, but I guess that's most bars too. They may grow on me.

Function wise they're very comfortable. They pull back far enough that I don't have to reach for them, but at the same time they're high enough that they don't tangle with my knees when I'm making a turn and pedaling at the same time.

Here's some other views.

I'm fixing to ride across town to school, so they'll get a good test ride today.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
These bars aren't going to cut it unfortunately. For pedaling around on bike trails at 10 mph they're really comfortable, but at high speed it's a different story, so they have to go. I've found a new set of bars that are similar to the stock bars, but have a higher rise. Then I noticed that besides black, they also come in red. Just to get an idea what red bars would look like on my bike I applied red duct tape to these bars to get a feeling for it. I'm thinking they're not too bad, so I ordered red ones, which will be here in a few days.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I tried one other set of bars before those beach cruiser bars, but I didn't like them. These are kind of like the stock bars, except with a 5 inch rise. I really didn't like this look much, and took them off after only one day.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The black 5 inch risers don't look terrible. But they don't look great, either.

I kinda like the looks of the red bars.

On the other hand, though, I'd trade comfort for looks any day. I guess you must feel the same way since the bars that started this thread looked really good but you've nixed them over the comfort issue.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The black 5 inch risers don't look terrible. But they don't look great, either.

I kinda like the looks of the red bars.

On the other hand, though, I'd trade comfort for looks any day. I guess you must feel the same way since the bars that started this thread looked really good but you've nixed them over the comfort issue.
The beach cruiser bars are very comfy riding at low speeds, but they're weird at higher speed. What doesn't show up very well in the picture is they have about a 60 degree sweep back. Instead of rolling the throttle back, you kind of twist it sideways.

I don't think they're very safe riding near 50 mph. They weren't designed for that.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes, I have the same problem with beach cruiser bars. They make the bike look good, it's true. But it's just not a comfortable hand position.

I like mountain bike bars with a bit of rise and moderate sweep. I guess about 20 deg, though I've never actually measured.

They don't always look quite as good. But often they're in the ballpark.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes, I have the same problem with beach cruiser bars. They make the bike look good, it's true. But it's just not a comfortable hand position.

I like mountain bike bars with a bit of rise and moderate sweep. I guess about 20 deg, though I've never actually measured.

They don't always look quite as good. But often they're in the ballpark.
I've got a new set of bars coming that I should be able to show off by Friday or Saturday. I think they're going to hit the spot.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I've tried all of those types of bars and really cant say one kind is better. Go with what gives the most comfort on long trips and control at high performance. Seems like there is allways a tradeoff and your thinking maybe I should try those instead or I should have used those bars instead.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've tried all of those types of bars and really cant say one kind is better. Go with what gives the most comfort on long trips and control at high performance. Seems like there is allways a tradeoff and your thinking maybe I should try those instead or I should have used those bars instead.
I only have 2 requirements. They have to look right, and feel right. It's pretty easy to get bars that feel right, because I know what I like, but it's hard to tell ahead of time what they'll look like on your bike till you try them.

Handle bars have a dramatic effect on the appearance of a bike. Most people care about how their bars feel, but not everyone is as picky about the way they look as I am. That's why it usually takes me about 3 tries to get what I want lol.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
beauty truly in the eye of the beholder. For me if a piece of equipment is junk then it will not ever look cool to me. Gosh I realize that term has a broad spectrum meaning. I am in no way saying your bike is junk by any means.

In my world at my age I care a little less about impressing folks so much. I mean what good generaly comes of it? I think more about substance in life. If I am on a bike that makes me uncomfortable? Well the substance is kinda gone...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I give you Red Bars with Streamers biaches

You may be thinking besides being red, what's the difference between these bars and the stock bars? The answer is these bars are 1 inch taller, and they're red

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
What'chu gonna be do'n with the Deep Six??

Bucket list and all that jazz....................(my bucket list -- lol).

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What'chu gonna be do'n with the Deep Six??

Bucket list and all that jazz....................(my bucket list -- lol).
I'm kicking around the idea of converting it to electric for my bubbies to ride. She's pretty dangerous so maybe only about 750w.

The Deep 6 has the same 31.8 clamp size so I now have an assortment of bars to try out on it.