What type of bike to buy?

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Ok as you can tell I,m new to this.I have a kit coming in & no
bike.I plan to use it as a street bike.Should I buy a one speed
bike, or a six speed ect?If I did get a six speed how would the
handle bar has throttle be used?You get the idea, Help!

Flydance1

Patchy

Aug 12, 2014
California
I recommend getting a single speed unless you plan on using a shift kit. You won't have to deal with extra cables or moving the shifter to make room for the throttle.

Another option you have is to get the GT2-A motorbike frame and put the bike together yourself. This is a bit more pricey but I think its the best option because you never have to worry about your gas tank. I had three different tanks leak on me even with the use of gas tank sealer. Also, this frame will have the clearance needed for the motor chain and a front mount for your motor.

On a random note, I have tires, rims, and a 36 tooth hub adapter for sale if you end up going the GT2-A frame route.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'd say got with the GT2 frame and put your own stuff on it... Makes for an easy build and the quality is definitely there.
If you're on a budget, go with a single speed cruiser, of course, if you plan on building a shifter you'd want something with more than one speed, but for the easiest installation, stay single speed.
Also, the bike dosen't have to be brand new and some of the best frames were built in the early 70's and older so hit up some of the flea markets and thrift stores to see if there are any good older cruiser bikes for sale. These frames tend to be stronger and better built but will most likely need to be disassembled, cleaned up and painted, but the end result is a nice strong frame and an excellent bike for the engine to go in as well as saving some money along the way.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
multi-speed freewheel cruiser with real brake built on - you need to stop quickly sometimes & you need to pedal uphill when you forget to fill the tank

highstrung74

Nov 4, 2014
illinois
I'd say got with the GT2 frame and put your own stuff on it... Makes for an easy build and the quality is definitely there.
If you're on a budget, go with a single speed cruiser, of course, if you plan on building a shifter you'd want something with more than one speed, but for the easiest installation, stay single speed.
Also, the bike dosen't have to be brand new and some of the best frames were built in the early 70's and older so hit up some of the flea markets and thrift stores to see if there are any good older cruiser bikes for sale. These frames tend to be stronger and better built but will most likely need to be disassembled, cleaned up and painted, but the end result is a nice strong frame and an excellent bike for the engine to go in as well as saving some money along the way.
I agree ,go with the gt2 if not on a real tight budget,but also get used and "reresh" it and save alot of money.All what YOU wanna do.Me i have a few to choose that i built so i say go "custom" and build it from scratch that way you get the parts i.e. brakes and forks you want.hope i was clear.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Also, if going new or used, you definitely want something that already has disc brakes... they do stop best and can be rather expensive to convert to disc brakes if you didn't start with them and decide you need them later on.

V brakes come in second place for excellent stopping power, and the old style caliper brakes come in last. Coaster brakes should also be avoided but will work as long as you don't use them really hard on a daily basis, and they weren't exactly designed to stop from 30 mph on a regular basis, they do stop better than the old style caliper brakes tho and could be considered if you don't plan on riding hard.

Basically, try to get something with disc brakes if you can, and if not, the V brakes still do a good job stopping.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
DON"T buy a bike that doesn't have a free wheel rear end.
Coaster brakes are a bust. LITERALLY........
Most coaster brake bikes have no provision to upgrade to V brakes, or disk.
A single speed or ( fixy ) can be a good choice as long as it is free wheel.
While disk brakes are the best , V brakes are a good choice as long as they are a quality set.
As Crassius noted , you will run out of gas one day and may have to crank this thing up a hill. Gears are your friend, gravity not so much.
Check your local Craig's list. You will be able to find a quality bike for the same price as you will spend for a junker at Wally world.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have V brakes on mine, they work pretty well, but I'm not quite satisfied. I'm going to switch the front wheel V brake out for a disc brake, should give me a lot of extra stopping power, since most of the stopping power comes from the front wheel anyways. However I'm not sure how most V brakes work, I have a friend who runs a bike repair buisiness out of his garage and has a wholesale license for bike parts and gets stuff for me at parts cost, so I was able to put the motor on a $1500 cross bike (I paid him $600 for it) which I had completely customized for myself. So I have very good V brakes (they can lock the rear wheel at 30 mph if I pulled hard).

Now for a question of my own: My bike has a hybrid aluminum-carbon frame (aluminum on the outside to give spots to attach stuff and make it hold up to abuse, layers of woven carbon fiber on the inside to give it extreme strength while being lightweight), I have seen people saying that aluminum frames don't hold up, and that steel is the way to go. My question is, does anyone have any experience or speculation about how a hybrid aluminum-carbon frame will hold up with a 66cc motor attached, and how soon will I be able to tell if it's not holding up?

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
That all depends on how the engine was mounted.
If tab mounted . It should be fine.
If clamp mounted. I'd be watching it all the time for signs of crushing......