advice for a beginner?

GoldenMotor.com

digboy78

Sep 6, 2014
St Louis
I plan to mount the engine (as soon as I get it running) to the bike below for a friction drive bike. I was just wanting to get an opinion from the group as to weather the bike (an early/mid 90's Mongoose Hilltopper) would be a sufficient bike to start with for my first build. If not, what specs should I be looking for in finding a bike to start with?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The bike appears to be okay. Hard to tell from just a photo but it seems to have everything you'll need. What is the general condition?

The important things are bearings, brakes, rims and tires. And the condition of those things. Brakes most importantly. Friction drive, as a rule, isn't as hard on a bike frame and components as the in-frame engines but there are still things you'll need to address.

Is your friction drive engine a kit, or a DIY installation? If you're designing your own mounts you'll want to concentrate on the strength and how the mount is attached to the frame. Lots of variables in that respect.

Good luck and please be careful.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That bike looks fine for a friction drive.

If you have a knobby on the back you will need to replace it with a smooth tread "street" tire. Friction drive rollers do not work well with knobbies.

digboy78

Sep 6, 2014
St Louis
I plan on doing a DIY installation, provided I can get the motor running. The back tire is knobby, so I will have to get a slick tire. Thanks for the information!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That will make a fine motorized bike. One of my first builds was on this frame and it worked extremely well for a in-frame kit since the tubing was sized perfectly for the mounts.
It should work just as well for a friction drivetrain.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
As far as a DIY friction drive set-up you've got a fine bike for that use. As long as it's not being pushed to speeds that compromise the wheel's spoke tension and rim integrity.

The other thing about pursuing speed with a non-suspended bike is that your body weight will greatly add to the damage that can be done to the wheels if you hit big potholes or other road hazards at speed. I'd try for a 35cc or less, mildly tuned weedeater engine with a small friction roller to keep it under 25 mph.

Most MTB's and for that matter most Fitness bikes are never ridden at more than 15 mph average, so running one of these at 30 mph is asking for trouble.