Turnigy 5.0

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Batteries seem to be about the most expensive part of the Ebike.
I wanted to build my next pack however the price per cell is stupid.
How about this?
$220 with shipping for 59.2v 10Ah battery, 8 packs.
How can you beat that? I think I will bite. I ordered Wednesday received Friday! Thanks Hobby King. Will see how it works out.
I got all excited and had to post before I tested anything, hope I didn't jin'x myself. Knock on wood.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18631

edit

Helps if you are already into R/C.
You still need a BALANCE charger and power supply (if the charger needs), voltmeter/Cycle Analyst 3, or some such (so you don't over-discharge and ruin your battery), the connections/plugs to hook it all together...starts to add up.

If you don't know anything about anything, Ebike or R/C hobby, stay away from hobby LiPo, we don't need to hear about you burning down the neighborhood because you thought you knew what you were doing.

As this thread is over a year old now I would not recommend these 5.0 to anyone, now that the higher capacity packs have come out.
Too many connections.
We now have 10.0, 12.0, 16.0 and 20.0! WOOT!!!!!

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well LC we think alike. I landed on building a 24v geared hub motor for a simple build to throw in the back of the car to ride the bike paths at the beach. Really didn't want a major battery purchase or heavy batteries like SLAs so I ordered 4 of these for a 10ah pack. The 24v should put em to the test with a pretty stout amp draw. I have tortured Turnigy batteries in the past on R/C models with good results. Think with some decent management these should do fairly well.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
One thing. Your 59.2v is arrived at by the rest voltage of the individual cells. Other words3.7 x4=14.8v for one pack. 14.8x4=59.2v The off the charger voltage is 4.2/cell so the charged voltage is 67.2v. Arent you running a Magicpie? MP2 controller shuts out anything over 60v. I would build a 3P pack which will come off the charger@ 50.4. Using the lipo 80% rule you shouldn't discharge the pack below 44v. If you have a 48v system the LVC is well below this. You will need to watch it with a voltmeter to keep from killing the pack. I will have to do the same thing with the 24v system. My pack low voltage is 29.6v! This should be a pretty lively 24v system as it barely gets under 30v ever. Some people pull the cells down much lower, but the 80% rule is best for battery longevity. Just some thoughts.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Right 67.v its all so confusing with this battery lingo.
I am running the Magic Pie 3 so I am hopping it works like the MP2 and your little "reserve tank" mode. :)
I am using a Cycle Analyst so its real easy to keep an eye on battery health and can set (among other things) LVC to anything you want, really cool device.
You need one...and a good RC charger.

I like the versatility of this set up, with 1 more pack I can have a 50.4v 15Ah battery.
Or a small set up for a stealth trail bike...nudge, nudge, wink, wink...next project.
That's funny CB2 I am in the process of a geared bike build, more a pedaler type than my first build. Happy birthday.

Thanks again CB2.
80% rule, check. I would like these to last a long time but at $25.50 a pack I wont be crying next year if I kill a couple.

Also wanted to say I started this thread as a alternative for others to high cost batteries, maybe get others thinking about Ebikes.
I like burning gas too, started with go-carts, dirt bikes and quads. I gotta say electric/quiet power... I am sold on it.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah you have it figured. I really like the ability to add or subtract cells to alter voltage or AH. If I did my conversion right I believe these packs are around 18oz, certainly light enough. I have a balanced charging board that allows up to 6 similar batteries to be charged at once with my R/C charger. Never tried 6 but charged 3/4 all the time. When going to the R/C club for the day I ran 3 chargers at once charging a bunch of Lipos for my models. Down to one now as I blew one and sold the other when I sold my FPV Quadcopter. Need another. The other thing about lipos is not to leave them fully charged if you are not going to use them. Most chargers have a program to discharge them to storage voltage. Probably not a problem with an ebike that gets ridden, but was with R/C stuff that didn't get flown. Spent about as much time discharging some time as charging-lol.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Hey LC hows the pack build going? I wont have my batteries til Tues. I have series adapters with XT60 terminals so will have to change out the supplied connectors on the batteries. Other than that should be plug n play. My 350w geared hub will be here today so maybe I will have the bike ready when the batteries arrive. Hoping the batteries will fit into a leather tool bag I have. I can mount it to the handlebars and keep all wiring up front for a clean build.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
OK the delivery gods smiled on me today and I got my batteries several days early. I changed out the supplied connectors with XT60s. I had a bunch left over from my R/C stuff. I bought premade series connectors and one parallel connector so battery connecting was plug n play. The batteries fit nicely in my leather tool bag! Pretty cool to have a 10ah battery in such a small space.

Not tryin to jack your thread LC just add a bit to it.

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Keep it coming CB2! I can get a bit stagnant in my posts.

I ended up with 9 batteries, don't plan on using all of them all the time. I have been running a few balance charge cycles. Had 1 battery with a weak cell, however it looks ok now after balancing a couple times.
Swapped out the plugs with Anderson power poles, still waiting on the 250w geared motor. I wanted to try that new 2-speed motor from Xiongda. Just got a reply after 2 weeks, 1 week to late...next time.

I am going to try a battery backpack style stealth setup.
just over 10lbs for a +50v/15ah. For series I will just hook the positive to the negative bypassing a extra connection. Still need to make the parallel connector.
Will post a pic when its all done.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Didn't see that, are they $25.50 a pack?
I cant wait till we can get a 60v/+10ah battery the size of a grapefruit.
Come on feed us more alien tech!

Price really what sold me, that and I can replace one if it fails without electric battery surgery Like the Lifepo4 I have. That's getting old after 2 rebuilds, 3 if you count the time I pulled the 12awg off and replaced it with 10awg. Would have been fine with the 12awg I just start over thinking stuff sometimes.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
It was an email add they sent. I just read the hype didn't go to the site. Im sure they are probably expensive being the next newest thing.

We should get pretty good life I hope from the Turnigys. They are 20C for 30secs., 10c constant. My controllers are limited to 15/17amps so that's basically a mere 3C. Should be real easy on them. Even if they only produce 10C they are still loafing.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here is my set up to charge 4 Lipos with one charger. Used to split 4 batteries between 2 chargers until I toasted one. Its a bit slower with one charger as it will only output 5 amps but faster than charging my bigger packs with their supplied chargers.
One thing I can tell you DONT confuse the series wiring adapter with the charge adapter! What a light show, vaporized the plugs contacts!

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Here is how I will series these. Positive to negative.
I picked up a multi charge connector from HK as well good for 6 batteries.

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Could make an adapter plug for the R/C stuff.

I imagine you could just cut the red bullet plugs (that came with the batteries) in half and do the neg. to pos. for series.

I had a bunch of Anderson plugs from R/C stuff in the past so that helped make up my mind as to connectors.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Lungcookie;

Any discharge testing on the batteries yet?

Your link indicates a constant 20c discharge, but the wires look a little small for 100a loads. Do you think this battery will actually support a true 10c constant load?

Since I would need a dozen of those batteries, I would like to see some real user feedback...

Thanks

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
All I have done is a couple charge balance/discharge cycles and then put them in an ammo can, at storage voltage.
I am trying to kill off my LifePo4 that I repaired twice, its not long for this world.

Also putting together a low power ebike, probably only pull 15amps or less.
I will try them at 30amps on the Magic Pie at some point, right now I am enjoying pedaling.
One of these days I want/need to do a +72v bike.

The wires are 12awg, you could replace but the hard case maybe a pain to open.
Probably have to check endless-sphere for any data, way more tech-nerds over there that are using them.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Wow. 12ga. So only 5c constant load.

Sigh. Seems like so much of the EV hype today is derate by 50 to 75%.

I was hoping for a 10c usable rate,given the 20c / 30c numbers. Technology is not advancing, they are just telling bigger lies.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Best to have some background in R/C stuff if playing with these batteries.
Easy to mess up connections, not for the faint of heart.

Just having the stereo turned up so loud you cant hear the charger alarm, telling you that you just hooked up the battery reverse polarity. Can cause sparks hooking up the balance connector. cough... cough... not like I would do that of course. :eek:

I thought I came up with a good idea for splicing the parallel connectors, looks like 'amberwolf' over at the sphere beat me to it by a couple years.
I used a flytie bobbin and copper wire, I had.

Attachments