The new bike

GoldenMotor.com

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
happend to find a really good deal on a genisis 28 mountain bike. figured id lean my from mistakes with the schinn ranger and see what i can do with this.

heres a pic of the ranger with skyhawk gt5:

new bike:

i still need to finish routing the wires, mounting the coil and cdi as well as fine tune the fuel tank location and piping. then throw on the rear sprocket and chain. a new exhaust is in the works too for this bike. i also did a little porting of the jug while i had the engine out.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
Alright everyone. I got the bike in rideable shape tonight. About 90% complete. Iv still got to find something to do with the choke, arrange levers in a more favorable position, and secure wires. Took it for a spin around the parking lot and man doesn't this thing vibrate! You apply the clutch and rev it up and it will vibrate so I know it's not the "final drive." It's the same engine, same carb, exhaust, etc. only thing different is the bike.

Now while the engine was out I ported the exhaust to match the gasket, beveled intake and exhaust ports as well as removed some nasty casting material located in the intake port on the cylinder. I did also. " ramp" the piston but nothing crazy.

Anyone got any ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How did you mount the engine? Are the mounts tight against the frame tubes. No slack, no movement.....no rubber?

Some frames simply don't absorb the vibrations produced by the engine as well as others.
Also by "ramping the piston" you might have compromised the balance somewhat. That could account for the vibes.

Tom

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
How did you mount the engine? Are the mounts tight against the frame tubes. No slack, no movement.....no rubber?

Some frames simply don't absorb the vibrations produced by the engine as well as others.
Also by "ramping the piston" you might have compromised the balance somewhat. That could account for the vibes.

Tom
i did some reading after posting this. rubber. i used rubber. nexxt question. i bought:
http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1185.htm

to accommodate the wide frame of this bike. if i mount the engine and bracket "flat" on the frame, then the back wont be flush on the frame or vise versa. worried about it damaging the frame more then necessary. any tips?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Hello ag52. Where's ya pics? hard to help without one. I got an album called Happy Chains you may find an install tip or two there. Good to see ya back on wheels. Let me know when she stable n we catch up somewhere n ride.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
roadtested it today. i still need to route wires and cables more efficiently. but its up and running. rides pretty well. no idea how fast it goes as i have not installed the speedo yet. i have noticed the engine seems hot. now it may just be me wearing shorts and the engine being installed in a slightly different position then in my old bike. i did massage the muffler to head port, and the cylinder intake and exhaust ports. oh and ramped the piston too. so it may be running a tad lean.

it 4strokes at like 1/8th-1/4 throttle but the rest of the time its smooth sailing so i should probably open her up a bit.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
rode to work today. full 9 miles. made pretty good time. about 20-30 minutes. no issues other then my front gear shift lever comes in contact with the clutch lever and couldnt change gears to assist. oh and grabbing a handlful of front brake instead of clutch. new levers pretty soon if i keep riding it like today. oh and some more street tires too.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
no issues other then my front gear shift lever comes in contact with the clutch lever and couldnt change gears to assist. oh and grabbing a handlful of front brake instead of clutch. new levers pretty soon if i keep riding it like today.
Complicated controls are no fun as you found out.

You can loose that whole front derailleur system, just manually put the chain on the front sprocket you want.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
rode home last night. so far so good. did burn my knee a little when i changed positions. but all is well. hooked up my speedo and did a speed run with it.. 29.6 mph which im pretty happy with. now to get this thing a bit more grunt too. fuel is pretty much dead on. iv got the jag cdi and i need to start trying that out.

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
hello, i have that same bike, and i removed the front derailleur to use the gear shifter as a clutch control, works great, just have to make sure you have the adjustment right. gl

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
No it's not awkward at all, use your for finger to clutch, middle and ring finger to brake, 1 is disengage 2 is engage... or vice versa, I forget. but it works well. However if I want to change the front gears I just have to stop and reach down and pull the chain to choose a gear, not problem really, just use the cable for the shifter for the clutch.