BC Laws

GoldenMotor.com

sniperxfire

Mar 6, 2013
Canada
I've seen this topic related to laws: http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouv...+motorized+bicycle+tickets/6296114/story.html

So as you can see, the motorized bicycle owner won the court.

My question is, are we still not safe on cops these days?

Im talking about in Canada BC, Vancouver.

If i were to be ticketed, will i be able to do something about it?

Just making sure. My dad just temporarily lost his license due to drink and drive.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Interesting read.. I'd have asked the judge to throw it out, because of the officer's testimony, myself. He clearly contradicts himself, so I'd take the stance that (in my opinion) his recollection of the event can not be trusted.

RCMP Staff Sgt. Andrew Isles was driving northbound on the same highway in an unmarked police car about 7:30 p.m.

"He spotted what he described as a gentleman, about his age (Mr. Ryan was then 45), pedalling a motor assisted bicycle southbound along the shoulder of the highway at a 'higher rate of speed than someone who was pedalling a bicycle' and he did not 'see any leg movements, indicating that the person was not pedalling their bike,'" Gordon said in his ruling.
So, Sgt. Isles, was the rider pedalling or not? You say he was, but then you say he wasn't.

-=-=-

I usually motor around south Vancouver (though I go towards downtown from time to time), Richmond, Burnaby and New Westminster. My travels have yet to take me into Surrey or Delta yet.

In the three years (and change) I've been motoring around the Vancouver area I have had several encounters with law enforcement (usually passing seatbelt/distracted driving etc checkpoints, oddly). In each instance, I have always cut the throttle back to a minimum and puttered past them with a smile and a wave, and received smiles and waves back. I never crank the throttle open until I've passed them and (usually) turned a corner.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
/lurkmode_off

This showed up in the 24HRS *ahem* 'newspaper' this past week:

Gas-powered cycle needs licence: court.

If the link doesn't work, here's the text of the article:

The B.C. Provincial Court has found a Kelowna man guilty of driving without insurance because he was on a gas-powered bicycle — even though it was fitted with pedals — which means it’s a “limited speed motorcycle” under the eyes of the law.

In a decision this month, the court detailed how Alejandro Calderone was pulled over in 2013 by an officer who heard sounds coming from his powered-bicycle’s small gas engine and saw exhaust puffing out from the back.

Calderone’s powered cycle didn’t have lights, safety devices, a licence plate or brakes on each wheel — he also wasn’t carrying a valid driver’s licence.

The legal argument was about whether Calderone’s below-50 c.c. engine made his bicycle a motorbike instead.

But under B.C. law, any gas-powered bicycle is considered a motorcycle.

“Under that regulation, there must not be more than one motor for propulsion on the cycle, it must be an electric motor, it must have a continuous power output of not more than 500 watts and the motor must not be capable of propelling the motor-assisted cycle at a speed greater than 32 km/h on level ground,” said Justice Elizabeth Burgess in her decision.

Calderone was convicted of not having a driver’s licence and for not having insurance.

It’s an issue that has come up before. In 2013, North Vancouver RCMP issued a warning after receiving complaints of youth riding bikes with gas engines.

Limited-speed motorcycles — which Calderone’s was — had a maximum speed limit of 70 km/h on level ground and are often referred to as scooters.

They’re also required to have proper lights, turn signals, brakes, mirrors, licence plate and insurance.
If the bike pictured is the bike in question, it appears to be equiped with only a rear coaster brake and only reflectors, no lights and no mirror. I don't know if they take helmet mounted lights and mirrors into account, or if they were involved. I have a mirror on the end of my 'bars, but the little one on an arm off the side of my helmet is far more reliable.