eBike news and items of interest

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm thinking a thread dedicated to eBike news items, and other things of interest about eBikes is in order.

Let me start off with this utube of Jimmy Kimmel. I wouldn't waste my time watching his lameo show, but brainless morons often make prophetic statements without knowing it.

Just skip ahead to 2:10 where Kimmel gives a member of his audience a free eBike and tells him, "this could replace your old gas powered bicycle".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYh0RRcKaok

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We could probably keep the e-bike news thread going with stuff we read on witless-sphere. I catch a lot of e-bike news from the recumbent sites too.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
What's so bad about Kimmel? I loved the Man Show. 99% of TV is brainless, may as well go T&A with potty humor. Seriously the only thing I watch on TV now is Turn.

But yeah, cool gift!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What I notice is there's not many of us (eBikers) on the forum, but riding around town I see a lot more eBikes then china girls.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Basic ebikes are far easier to assemble then most gasbikes, even the kits - the motor & batteries require little to no maintenance & most bike shops will still work on them without complaint, some even sell them. Basic hub kits are about as difficult to build as changing a wheel, so little aid is needed... in fact aside from just riding the thing there's not much to talk about lol, I'd complain if it wasn't so awesome :p

I for one have found it difficult to continue my 'Mongo the ebike' thread as although I ride it every day rain, snow or shine - what am I gonna say of any interest?

"...rode to the store, got coffee"
"...rode to a buddy's house"
"...rode around in circles for the heckofit"
"...rode summore"

...and ofc the random "...plugged/unplugged the charger"

Not exactly exciting stuff to share after a couple few years, sometimes I crash it's true but that I do post about lol ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
LOL BA, I know what you mean.

And BTW my bike ran great today, and nothing happened to it again lol.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
yeah not a lot of people showing off e bike builds on here. They probable feel silly cause they are so easy like you said. Its not about how hard it is its about doing your own thing and showing it to everyone

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
yeah not a lot of people showing off e bike builds on here. They probable feel silly cause they are so easy like you said. Its not about how hard it is its about doing your own thing and showing it to everyone
Only the basic builds are easy. Anything can get very complicated fast.

I don't think davidberg feels silly about his home built eBike.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=54745

I think the reason we're not seeing more home build eBikes on this motor bicycle forum is, because we're mostly populated by gearheads that love to explode gasoline, and tinker with our bikes to keep them running efficiently. We understand them, and we love making them have more power.

The eBiker types are more a combination of nerdball, high tech thrill
seeker types, who get a kick out of displaying their superior technology prowess. In order to get any gratification, because of your technical prowess, first there has to be someone looking that knows enough to be able to appreciate your technical prowess LOL.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I didn't put near as much effort into my e-bike as I did my old gas bike. To me, the e-bike is more of an appliance. I don't care to customize it like I did my gas bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
"The semi-retired engineer said, "I worked with a lot of pioneers and innovators in avionics and space industries. I got very interested in alternative energy transportation."

His interest in electro-mechanical systems continues to grow.

A Florida transplant of one year, he now spends a lot of time on E-bikes (electric bicycles), building a few for himself as a hobby, and then for friends.

He noticed electric bicycles were selling -- big time. In China, sales went from 56,000 to 120 million in 12 years. They now sell more than 30 million a year. In Western Europe and India, sales are similarly explosive.

There is a "massive uptake" worldwide, except in the United States. But the U.S. is becoming more "bike centric," he believes, as we become more energy conscious."

http://www.myhometownnews.net/index.php?id=116648

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I can understand this sentiment

Preliminary results from electric vehicle owners indicate that EV owner satisfaction blows that of conventional vehicles out of the water. It is the secret weapon of electric vehicles: drivers that switch to EVs fall in love with their cars, Or bikes, in a way that internal combustion engine vehicles cannot match. PlugInsights Research, a division of Recargo, presented data at this week’s EDTA convention that forcefully supports this notion (via Inside EVs).

Out of those 900 early adopters of EVs, a survey found 96.9% said they would buy another electric vehicle, either a pure electric or a plug-in hybrid. Only 1.9% would go back to an ICE.

http://www.torquenews.com/2250/owner-data-once-you-go-electric-you-never-go-back