no spark help something smiple stupid

GoldenMotor.com

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
hey guys and girls so iv had my new gt5 motor 66cc for about a mouth and a hafe ran ok had some bad predetanation but not a big deal i rode home fome work night and got stuck in the rain ran home fin the next day no spark iv tryed a cdi and coil from a bike that haad spark for sure iv tryed mixing the coponets up between the two bike only thing i havent chaned is magnent runing ngk cable and plug kill swicg is dissconected also i have elctrical tipe between my motor mounts and frame to stop paint removile could this be the prob. iv also noticed woth my new coil the wight wire is black and runs to a ring termanl and ground to the case and the cdi

sorry for the long post
thanks in advance richard

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, if u look at the stator coil inside the magneto housing it should have
(1) a blue wire exiting the winding at the top.
(2) a white wire exiting the winding at the bottom.
Both of these should exit the magneto housing along with a black wire. The black wire should be attached inside the magneto housing to the stator coil laminates with an eye connector to one of the 4 mounting bolts that attach the stator coil to the motor. U need a good connection here.
Also, look at the laminate corner just above the coil winding. The inner end of the winding is soldered to the laminate core here & also needs a good connection.
If ur not using the white wire to run a small light or charge a battery via a rectifier, insulate the free end with heatshrink (or snip it off at the coil, but leave the solder tab intact). Check that all these are good & get back to us. Cheers

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there are newer coils that have no white wire, there are older coils that have a brown wire - find a wire that measures 320-360ohms to ground & use it for the power to the CDI blue wire

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Thanks for that regarding the older/newer stator coils Crassius. If he has a newer (no white wire) type it'll be easy, there will only be 1 insulated wire exiting the coil & as Crassius noted it should read somewhere in the viscinity of 390 ohms. A variation either way is normal. If it has a white wire it'll read only a few ohms, almost a dead short. The laminate core must also make a good connection to ur motor so if it got moisture in there check for high resistance between the laminate & motor.
I think everyone into these motorized bicycles should have a small, inexpensive multimeter for troubleshooting things like this. If ur not familiar with the use of these there are small publications like "1001 uses for multimeter's" that will give u the lowdown. I imagine there are plenty of online guides to the use of these as well. Cheers
zpt

Last edited: