Anyone use a full face helmet?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had a flyer here from a bike show a few years ago from a company that makes a full face helmet with a built in rearview mirror... it works as a small strip just above your field of vision showing what's behind you.. of course, now that I'm looking for it I can't seem to find it.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I use a full face street bike helmet. Has clear visor and also has a tinted shade that drops down behind the clear visor. Made by TMS and I scored it off ebay for 50 bones. Then I stickered it up and made it mine. Most deff restricts my head movement from side to side so I also have a moped mirror to see behind me. (I think mirror is ridiculous ugly but the ability to see behind me far out wheighs the ugliness). Also fits really snug. Not super tight but deff snug and I'm good with that.

Attachments

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Was out on a mission on my motorized bicycle looking for copper scrap for a few extra needed bucks, I found a busted TV, a destroyed computer, a smashed monitor, so yeah, I found a bit of copper.
But the craziest thing I found, was walking with my bike down this trail on my way back home, something caught my eyes to the left, looked at it, strapped it to my backpack and continued home.
Fits great!
It has a missing air cowl and a missing visor, but oh well, it was free and I wanted one, this is great!

Fudgy likes it too!

Attachments

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I want to look as much like a bicycle as possible here in Jersey,,so i go with no lid at all.. I'm usually just test riding,,or breaking one in,,if I decide to go on a long ride Ill wear a mountain bike helmet,,that don't happen unless I'm over in Pa.though...

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Here in Canada, helmets on a motorized open vehicle are mandatory, and nobody is going to think you are ridiculously over protected here.

Looking back on Bairdco's incident, wearing the helmet I found would be a great idea, much better than a bicycle helmet.
If my head hits the road, I know what helmet I want, you guys who go nude headed are nuts!
Your head is fragile and hitting pavement can kill you or have you drooling in a corner for the rest of your life.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Here in Canada, helmets on a motorized open vehicle are mandatory, and nobody is going to think you are ridiculously over protected here.

Looking back on Bairdco's incident, wearing the helmet I found would be a great idea, much better than a bicycle helmet.
If my head hits the road, I know what helmet I want, you guys who go nude headed are nuts!
Your head is fragile and hitting pavement can kill you or have you drooling in a corner for the rest of your life.
This is true,,
Its not myself that I'm worried about,,its the cager painting her toenails,texting,and reading the paper all at the same time.I will try to wear at least a lid from now on bro...

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
Was out on a mission on my motorized bicycle looking for copper scrap for a few extra needed bucks, I found a busted TV, a destroyed computer, a smashed monitor, so yeah, I found a bit of copper.
But the craziest thing I found, was walking with my bike down this trail on my way back home, something caught my eyes to the left, looked at it, strapped it to my backpack and continued home.
Fits great!
It has a missing air cowl and a missing visor, but oh well, it was free and I wanted one, this is great!

Fudgy likes it too!
I got a black cat too, as well as 4 others. Gotta love cats, anytime you get something new they are looking at it, sitting on it, hiding in it.

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I have been wearing a full face helmet for a long time. I started with a Bell Star, and actually got a ticket for wearing it in CA - because it was a 90 degree model.

I wear glasses, so it makes thing much easier. Helmets have gotten lighter, and tougher over the decades.

Helmets should be replaced after an impact. The parts also age, and helmets should be replaced after 5 to 10 years depending on use. SNELL says 5 years, but that is based on daily use & outdoor exposure.

Besides... used helmets? ick. Why someone would want a 30 year old helmet soaked in years of sweat I have no idea.
I bring my own helmet if I am riding or driving rental toys. I probably got a few looks coming down off of Haleakala on a bicycle in a Bell K1, but it always looks the same from the inside. I just can't put my head in a rental helmet.

The TMS helmets are all over E-bay, and at most local scooter shops. For less than 50 bucks you can keep your teeth, and stop eating bugs. If you wear glasses, it makes life so much easier.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
at the races its full racing gear! most...all of the fast racers wear it. baird is in full leathers when its 107 deg. a lot of mx gear also. i wear kevlar sliders long sleeve shirt elbo and gloves and a open face so i can spit and pick my nose [old desert rider habbits] ride safe!
when i'm racing, i wear a full face Simpson helmet that's designed for top fuel drag racing. i bought it new from a swap meet for 25 bucks. it's normally $500+.

as dennis said, i wear full racing leathers i got off ebay for 200. they're black leather, with all the pads and plastic caps, but it breathes well, so i'm comfortable in the heat.

not exactly what i wear for a trip to the liquor store.

for daily riding i have a vintage police riot helmet. i was wearing that when i crashed. i was also wearing jeans, work boots, gloves, and a gas station jacket. i fractured one wrist and chipped two fingers on the other. if i didn't have gloves, probably woulda lost a lot of skin.

i was leaving work and rode 2 blocks when i crashed. the old "i'm just cruising around close to home..." way of thinking could get you killed.

and i'm guilty of it, too. i race my bikes up and down the street when i'm building or tuning them, often times in shorts and a t shirt with no helmet.

that's probably gonna change once i'm healed up. not smart full throttling an untested bike with no protection.

and just because you've been riding bikes for years and never landed on your head doesn't mean it can't happen...

all that being said, i'm still gonna wear my open face helmet on the street...

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I've heard of people getting hurt worse with a full face,,the mouth guard smacks into a tree/ground and snaps the spinal cord,,I guess a little face rash from the half face could be justified in that case??

Anytime I'm racing or street riding my MC I use a full face...when testing a motorized bicycle,,i go real easy at first,,if the bike does not roll around smoothly in the shop(forwards and back) I wont take it out for a rip.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
It's all bad, if you run into the ground or trees. I usually wear bicycle helmets, but sometimes wear low-end moped/motorcycle helmets.

Old helmets, probably not a good idea to use, but they work good for making paintball targets if you're by your lonesome, or for making halloween dummies, scarecrows, etc.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
I got a black cat too, as well as 4 others. Gotta love cats, anytime you get something new they are looking at it, sitting on it, hiding in it.
Down to 12, the 13th was put down due to cancer. (Various colours)

I soon as I put the helmet there, she was right in it!
And there is something about boxes, they love being in them, on them and around them.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice find. Looks like it's passed inspection, too. ;) Replacing the visor might not be that hard to do.

Fits great!

Fudgy likes it too!

Mad Professor

Mar 10, 2013
Boise, ID
I wear my Icaro 2000 full face hang gliding helmet religiously. People on 4 wheels are always out to kill people on 2 wheels. Lots of idiot drivers here in Boise, Idaho!

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Full face motocross helmet, goggles, gloves and the plan on buying knee and elbow pads.

This isn't your typical bicycle, at 25-30 mph a crash can really mess you up. Bicycle helmets aren't designed far the higher speed crashes.

My helmet is DOT certified.