Indiana's possible new motor bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I just took the time to read all 62 pages of the section of the law pertaining to mopeds. The only good thing is the end of the 50cc rule. The bad things are the required registration and taxing of our bikes. The DMV will also know who has one. They also opened the door for some discretionary orders after the first of the year. The really bad thing is if you think the politicians in the State House are our friends and are acting in our interest, I have some real estate for sale at a great price and in a great location. This Mr. Smith from Columbus wants us off his streets. And he is definitely not our friend.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
it will be interesting on how they will handle the exicese tax on a gas bike sorry (MOPED) if this becomes law what is one to do? come in with thier stack of reciepts from 30 different venders to show thier value? or will thier be a set price? so at 7.5% add another 75 bucks to the registatoin fee if you have a nice 1000 dollar bike. this could get real ugly!! please be honest when you go register. i cant believe my 54 Schwinn is now going to be a moped i think it will be exempt from the turn signal light law but i will have to show some type of proof that my schwinn is a 54 can you see where im going with this this!! law is a mess

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
oh yes i for got what if your caught speeding on your moped and your doing 40 mph you better have insurance,and a drivers license because your moped just fell into the motor driven cycle catagory you imprperly regestered you vehicle prolly another ticket.. my little 50 cc scooter does 45. if the right circumstance arise youll definitely need a lawyer just because you were going 5 mile an hour over the speed limit.lets not forget impound fees good luck gettin your gas bike back from the pound with no title.just trying to warn everyone this law is not in our best interests!!! sorry im pissed!!!

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all
well this what you do.

If you don't want this change call you representatives.

If you do want this change call your representative.

and let your chips fall where they may.

i did not start this Thread to start a fight, it is for imformation.

so play nice. thank you all

my thoughts in general

but if you can,t do the time (or fine) don't do the crime.

you all know you are to obay all traffic laws. so if you brake them don't blame the cop. man up and admit you you are wrong.

this last part was not directed an any one. just my thoughts.

Don P

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Sorry Don, my post was just my thoughts also. For me it will mean nothing if it passes or not. I will allways play one way or the other. My concerns are for the 15 - 21 year old students that use these things for transportation. They are the only ones this will impact. Once aqain Sorry, I didn't mean to fire anyone up.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
jimmymc2286 that was not directed at you or any one. i was just heading of trouble befor it started.

i know how things can get passionate fast, i was trying to be a good steward of the Thread i started thats all.

thanks Don P

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Don P
Any news on the bill yet. I talked to most of the people I know about it and most are for it, and most are sure it is going to pass.
What part of the state do you live in?

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi jimmymc2286

No news yet. i keep looking every day. i live in Vincennes home town of Red Skelton

and president william henry harrison. i like Red Skelton better .lol

william henry harrison had a better house. lol where do you live?

Don P

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I live just outside of a little town called Commiskey about 8 miles south of North Vernon. I was in Evansville last Sunday to pick up a Worksman I'm putting a HF79cc on. I started a build thread in DIY bikes section.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
if they were to repeal the term motor bicycle pass the law, and call them mopeds you would be required to run a headlight tail light turnsignals all dot certified trying to do this will be hard considering the white wire gives you 6 volts and a whoppin 3 watts of power and these lights would need to be on in daylight hours i just beat these tickets in court with the new law i would never have won. its not worth a 10 mile an hour increase in speed

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
House Bill 1343 was signed 3/28/14 and will take effect 1/1/15. I work in the City County government and word reached me. I have copied-and-pasted the text of this new motor-vehicle law from this site:
http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2014/bills/house/1343/#
Here is the text of HB 1343:
"Motor driven cycles. Repeals obsolete provisions concerning an interim study of motorized bicycles. Defines "Class A motor driven cycle", "Class B motor driven cycle", and "motor driven cycle". Repeals the definitions of "motor scooter" and "motorized bicycle". Provides that the county motor vehicle excise surtax and the motor vehicle excise tax apply to motor driven cycles. Requires that motor driven cycles must be registered with the bureau of motor vehicles. Excludes motor driven cycles from titling requirements. Requires that a license plate must be displayed on a motor driven cycle. Provides that certain equipment requirements and traffic regulations apply to motor driven cycles. Requires an individual who operates a Class A motor driven cycle to hold a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement or a motorcycle endorsement with a Class A motor driven cycle restriction and to provide proof of financial responsibility. Requires an individual who operates a Class B motor driven cycle to hold an unexpired identification card with a Class B motor driven cycle endorsement or a valid driver's license. Provides that a motor driven cycle may not be operated on an interstate highway. Provides that the operation of a Class B motor driven cycle may be a defense to certain motor vehicle offenses. Excludes motor driven cycles from: (1) the definition of "motorized cart" for purposes of certain natural resource laws; and (2) certain motor vehicle protection laws. Makes technical corrections. Reconciles a conflict with HEA 1006-2013 and other criminal law bills enacted in the 2013 legislative session."

Basically, in Indiana as of 1/1/15, any two wheeled vehicle with a motor riding on public roads will require a license plate, insurance coverage or proof of financial responsibility, and the rider must have a valid license with a motorcycle endorsement. I'm going to have a bit of work to do to remain legal. Consider this a long-range heads-up.

Last edited:

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Allen Wrench, Staying legal isn't going to be very hard. I read the entire bill as passed and signed by the governor. It is not the end of our motorized bicycles. We do have to plate them. We do not have to have a drivers license or a motorcycle endorsement. to ride a class B motor driven cycle, you need a drivers license, or a valid picture ID showing that you have taken a written test covering basic traffic signs and signals. You do not need insurance on a class B motor driven cycle.
We will be restricted to 50cc, a headlight, a rear reflector, turn signals, brakes on one wheel that can stop the bike, No more than 3 wheels, no more than 35 mph, ride on the right hand side of the lane. And of course Mr. Milo Smith wants his cut in the form of taxation and license plates.
A flashlight will work for the headlight, coaster brakes are legal, any red bike reflector will do, A couple of led lights with a flashing unit will make a set of turn signals. My only problem will be the 50cc engine.
For those of us that make our own bikes, we do not have to have them titled so all we will need is a registration. The BMV will have to issue us those for our home built bikes.
The police I have talked to about this said they didn't have time to full with this s^*&^%. As they have done in the past as long as it isn't a little kid or somebody doing some stupid stuff they didn't care. It will only give them more reasons to stop known drunks and dopers when they want to.

We will still be riding in 2015,
Jimmy

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen Wrench, Staying legal isn't going to be very hard. I read the entire bill as passed and signed by the governor. It is not the end of our motorized bicycles. We do have to plate them. We do not have to have a drivers license or a motorcycle endorsement. to ride a class B motor driven cycle, you need a drivers license, or a valid picture ID showing that you have taken a written test covering basic traffic signs and signals. You do not need insurance on a class B motor driven cycle.
We will be restricted to 50cc, a headlight, a rear reflector, turn signals, brakes on one wheel that can stop the bike, No more than 3 wheels, no more than 35 mph, ride on the right hand side of the lane. And of course Mr. Milo Smith wants his cut in the form of taxation and license plates.
A flashlight will work for the headlight, coaster brakes are legal, any red bike reflector will do, A couple of led lights with a flashing unit will make a set of turn signals. My only problem will be the 50cc engine.
For those of us that make our own bikes, we do not have to have them titled so all we will need is a registration. The BMV will have to issue us those for our home built bikes.
The police I have talked to about this said they didn't have time to full with this s^*&^%. As they have done in the past as long as it isn't a little kid or somebody doing some stupid stuff they didn't care. It will only give them more reasons to stop known drunks and dopers when they want to.

We will still be riding in 2015,
Jimmy
> Well, that's brighter news than I had. I was only able to dig up so much at a time. Do you have a link to the legal definition of "Class B Motor Driven Cycle"? I may want to print that. And, yeah, working in the CCB I can tell you we've had too many reckless drivers who've had their license suspended for life and they went out, got a 49cc scooter, and caused more wrecks. The government isn't out to get us hobbyists and commuters. It really is a move to keep the streets safer.