Lifan 118cc

GoldenMotor.com

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I see home depot has these for around $150...and they have a 3/4 shaft so clutches should be easy to fit......anyone using one?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I see home depot has these for around $150...and they have a 3/4 shaft so clutches should be easy to fit......anyone using one?
dont get a home depot motor or any motor thats from china.. find yourself an old school one out of an edger.. or something like that..

these china motors are made cheaply and if you over rev they break etc..

an older motor or even a older honda one will be bullet proof

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
im okay with china...I'm not expecting a rolls royce for $150...you buy the edger motor if it makes you "less on edge"

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I know that.......get tired of these guys bashing china parts when really, not alot of the hobby is doable without stuff from there etc

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Just get a tach and install a shift kit and you'll never have to worry about over revving the engine.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
a lot of the old usa made 4 strokes threw rod's too if ungoverned. a lot of fun with a adj main jet and whatever flamable liquid we tried... kabooom!!! ''i dont know dad''

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
my neighbor used to weld up top fuel motors that would throw rod's, piston's, cam's, pretty much anything that could escape. the welded up holes are called window's. if you look at most t/f engines you will see them under the exhaust pipes. being sooner than later they will hole themselfs.

zwebx

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
dont bash the lifan's i have a 150 and it has never failed me (with a high lift cam and a port job)
i dont know too much about the 118cc bike but if its like the 125 it will be low on power

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've no idea about the utility engines (which have a very mixed rep at my local sales & service) but as far as I understand it, Honda contracted Lifan to make authorized replacement parts for some of the smaller Honda motorcycle & ATV motors, such as the CRF50, XR50 & XR70F... given Honda gave them the specs & are fussy about such, that's good enough for me.

The "mixed reputation" of the Lifan utility motors could be just a result of hasty assembly & shipping damage, the majority of repairs aren't from terminal mechanical failure but rather seem to be mostly loose wiring, substandard soldering, shoddy assembly, poor tuning & even sometimes minor components like fasteners missing... nothing like the Chinese in-frame kits ofc - but they do seem to cut a few corners to keep costs down, understandable given how inexpensive they are.