Motor aggressively yanked off of bike?

GoldenMotor.com

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
Please do not put any sort of rubber in between the mounts and the frame.
It really does nothing to help out with cancelling vibration and actually increases it due to the engine being able to shake around on the rubber. This shaking also stresses the mounting studs and mount pads on the engine and more often than not leads to cracking/ shearing of the mounts.
also if your frame is thinner or aluminum it could crack your tubes

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
that is also a problem rubbers will make this happen again eventualy
Nonsense, I run innterube rubber under my mounts and have no such problem, pushing 2000 miles. There are differing opinions about rubber being used in the mounts, but I never seen a motor that doesn't use some sort of rubber mount on a vehicle. The rubber is not the cause of your problem...

I would like to hear/see more about your one bolt mount? Pics didnt seem to show that, unless I missed it.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
its not the current problem but it could break things in the future
I disagree, but we can agree to disagree on that. At least we agree it is not the problem at hand here...

I still say he has a rear sprocket problem, maybe he didn't put a rubber piece from the rag joint on the outside of the spokes behind the sprocket? I asked what direction the sprocket was dished long ago, seems kinda funny that his doesn't dish, but I guess his kit could have come with a flat sprocket. The dish comes in handy for chain alignment... At any rate, for whatever reason, it seems his chain is dog legging inward from the motor to the rear sprocket, that's all I can figure...

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
what kind f a front mount are you running a u bolt or the 2 studs with the plate?
When it broke I was using 2 studs and the plate, bought I bought the new U Bolt mount yesterday.

Please do not put any sort of rubber in between the mounts and the frame.
It really does nothing to help out with cancelling vibration and actually increases it due to the engine being able to shake around on the rubber. This shaking also stresses the mounting studs and mount pads on the engine and more often than not leads to cracking/ shearing of the mounts.
Ok, thanks for the advice, I didn't know that.

And guys, before I ride this I will take a video and show you guys my setup.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
good idea ton show what you can so we can help keep this from happening again the u bolt mount will help alot with mounting it strait i found it easier to work with when i was installing my motor the second and third time i(i had mounting issues also) :)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
When it broke I was using 2 studs and the plate, bought I bought the new U Bolt mount yesterday.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I didn't know that.

And guys, before I ride this I will take a video and show you guys my setup.
I am still wondering what REAR mount you were using when it broke? You said,
"I had gone with a standard front mount but a new rear mount design that only involves one stud but I thought was still very secure"
The ONE STUD thing has me lost.... I would say you shouldn't do that again, and am left wondering what new rear mount design you were using that only has one stud?
Definitely post pictures when you are building next time around

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
I am still wondering what REAR mount you were using when it broke? You said,
"I had gone with a standard front mount but a new rear mount design that only involves one stud but I thought was still very secure"
The ONE STUD thing has me lost.... I would say you shouldn't do that again, and am left wondering what new rear mount design you were using that only has one stud?
Definitely post pictures when you are building next time around
Yea I understand but when I assmebled it I thought it was great

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
A picture of the rear tire showing your rag joint and sprocket may be helpful, in addition to a picture of the single stud rear mount, and the new mounting setup you plan to use on the next build....
Yes, when all my parts arrive in the mail, but I will add a picture of the tire soon.

he tried to eliminate the engine chain side stud
Yes

Apparently it wasn't so great! LOL
Unfortunetley...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
he tried to eliminate the engine chain side stud
So the situation seems to be, there was a major chain alignment issue but instead of addressing it by adjusting the rear sprocket (rag joint) to fix the alignment he eliminated one rear motor mount stud where the chain was rubbing (or slapping). With only two pairs of studs holding the motor on the bike, the motor wasn't held securely enough by only 3 studs to hold it on the bike, specially with a major chain alignment issue....
Hopefully by now you realize this situation was completely predictable if you just acknowledge the above situation. When you build this time you need to center the motor on the bike, mount it with all 4 studs, and take a look at your chain alignment and adjust the rear sprocket mounting so the chain doesn't dog leg inward from the motor to the rear tire. If you put the new motor on the bike and don't adjust the rear sprocket you will have more trouble. (If I am reading the situation correctly)

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
So the situation seems to be, there was a major chain alignment issue but instead of addressing it by adjusting the rear sprocket (rag joint) to fix the alignment he eliminated one rear motor mount stud where the chain was rubbing (or slapping). With only two pairs of studs holding the motor on the bike, the motor wasn't held securely enough by only 3 studs to hold it on the bike, specially with a major chain alignment issue....
Hopefully by now you realize this situation was completely predictable if you just acknowledge the above situation. When you build this time you need to center the motor on the bike, mount it with all 4 studs, and take a look at your chain alignment and adjust the rear sprocket mounting so the chain doesn't dog leg inward from the motor to the rear tire. If you put the new motor on the bike and don't adjust the rear sprocket you will have more trouble. (If I am reading the situation correctly)
I didn't ignore the fact that there might have been a mis-alignment issue, I never knew that was even a problem, read my title, I'm a Newbie.

Anyway, it's picture time, so I can explain things:

First up, my rear tire:

Picture of it from an angle:

My front mount:

My "new" rear mount:

My theory suggested it would clear the chain, which it did:

Hopefully this clears some things up

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i think your problem is the front hole you drilled in the frame isnt 100% strait and that rear mount is why it ripped off that wouldnt work its not strong enough and would want to twist on the single stud because the engine isnt fully on the frame and clamped also im worryed about the plates in the back wheel not being flat together meaning that it isnt tight enough

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
also removing your peddle chain gard will help you mount the engine lower in the frame mine has a lot less vibration since i did this

also this will help with alignment