commuter 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
currently my bike has(had)80cc 2stroke, but its not reliable(top end went out twice) i currently live in fountain valley ca. but i bought a house in san bernardino. do to my teenage youth and tickets I'm still paying for. my license is suspended for another year.

round trip from the new house to my work is 110 miles. my plan is to use a 6.5 hp honda clone with comet tav2 cvt be reliable enough for the commute without leaving me stranded?

i know i need upgraded rims and brakes.
im also very aware of the Ca laws, and the risk

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
It does not seem like all that wise of a choice to put yourself on the road 6+ hours a day on a clearly illegal motorized bicycle, does it?

Is your work near any of the Metrolink stations? When I lived in Redlands, I used to take the Metrolink in to LA, it was actually quicker than driving during rush hour.

I wonder if they would let you take a motorized bicycle with a 49cc HS on the train? If so, that might be reliable enough to get you to and from the train, but with the train doing most of the traveling for you?

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
It does not seem like all that wise of a choice to put yourself on the road 6+ hours a day on a clearly illegal motorized bicycle, does it?

Is your work near any of the Metrolink stations? When I lived in Redlands, I used to take the Metrolink in to LA, it was actually quicker than driving during rush hour.

I wonder if they would let you take a motorized bicycle with a 49cc HS on the train? If so, that might be reliable enough to get you to and from the train, but with the train doing most of the traveling for you?
I mapped it out already, at max im on main streets for 8 miles, the rest is the santa ana trail.
Round trip it 4.5 hrs

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I mapped it out already, at max im on main streets for 8 miles, the rest is the santa ana trail.
Round trip it 4.5 hrs
Nice. I misread your post as 110 miles each way... that is definitely better. Very nice looking bike trail!

According to their website, they do not allow "our kind" to use the trail, though...

From Santa Ana River Trail Regulations:

"No motorized scooter, motorcycles, gas powered bicycles, or electric bicycles are permitted on the Santa Ana River Trail."

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Round trip it 4.5 hrs
How fast are you planning on riding on the santa ana river trail?
Spandexers will be calling the cops on you and cursing you out.

A 200 cc bike doesn't sound like a good idea for what you are trying to do.

Amtrak, Metrolink will not allow gas powered anything.
Buses aren't even allowed to carry a gas bike on the front.

Last edited:

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
I ride my 2 stroke everyday. Aslong as your bike isnt superloud they dont care. Is it a reliable set up? Its a very simple question, other than a fouled plug or bad drive belt, will it be reliable

Last edited:

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
What kind of problems? Dimension as far as width isnt a problem, im a metal worker for a fab shop in anaheim, ive built everything from custom jeep frames, to making specialtie tools.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
you don't have a DL so you will stick out like a neon sign.
200 cc is way too big for a street commuter bike and is totally
unnecessary.
Damn? are you that clueless? :D
Go ahead it will make a cool story when you become the first guy
that I have ever heard of getting his bike impounded for an over
sized engine.

Why do you think you need a 40 lb 14" wide 200 cc engine?

Last edited:

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
Im fully aware of the risk, but the reliability question remains unanswered,
Im 6'5"@ 220lb, i raced gokarts as a kid at adams, i currently have a 1969 nova with 383 stroker pushin 600 hp at the tire. I can handle a bicycle

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I agree with all... You are going in the wrong direction if you want your license back. Not only is that a big motor the ride is going to kick your azz. The only bike with comfort is the full suspension boxer I own... Wait that bike may work for you and ****z you will get to work in comfort...could be yours!!!

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
How hard is it to answer a question? Really? I dont want a gc160, if you cant answer the simple question, then please dont reply, i didnt ask about what YOU would run, i simply asked if my combination reliable for my purpose, I NEVER SAID I WAS going to use train/bus

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
I agree with all... You are going in the wrong direction if you want your license back. Not only is that a big motor the ride is going to kick your azz. The only bike with comfort is the full suspension boxer I own... Wait that bike may work for you and ****z you will get to work in comfort...could be yours!!!
Lol no thanks
If i was gonna spend $ like that id go buy a dt400 and convert to dual sport

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I would build it with the cvt, good all around speed. The motor fits well on the Walmart cranbrook frame. Re- spoke the wheels and add a disk brake and your good to go. Make sure you get a good horn so you can blast the bikes off as you blaze by at 50...

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
I would build it with the cvt, good all around speed. The motor fits well on the Walmart cranbrook frame. Re- spoke the wheels and add a disk brake and your good to go. Make sure you get a good horn so you can blast the bikes off as you blaze by at 50...
Lol CCC, thank you for a straight forward answer, my cranny has front suspension, what guage spokes/material? Double wall rim ofcourse