Need help with sprocket on first build

GoldenMotor.com

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
Hi guys, new to the forum,

I'm working on my first bike build today. I got the 66cc kit from BGF on Ebay. Got the engine mounted, and after much frustration have got the sprocket on the rear tire. But I have a question.

The bike is a 26" Beach cruiser with coaster brake.

When I took the arm off my brake hub, I also removed the small dust cover, figuring I'd grind down the edges and get it to fit after putting on the sprocket. Anyway, When I try to put the hub back together, it seems like there's a lot more space than there used to be sticking out. Maybe an 1/4 inch or so. The bearings still sit right, but I just remember the brake being inside more when I took it apart. This is shimano CB-E110 hub, and its brand new, with maybe 2-3 miles on it. I just think the brakes out to far, even thought i hand tightened it, and never even played with adjusting anything else on the hub.

I can take post a video on youtube tomorrow. If anyone knows if i'm doing something wrong, please tell me. I'm anxious to get this thing running.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Can't say for sure w/o more details or pics BUT maybe the sprocket install is interfering w/ the dust cap going back on causing it to look like things are not going together properly?

I only mention this because when we make sprockets for coaster brake hubs we enlarge the center bore of the sprocket to fit over the dust cap....Since you did not make mention of enlarging the center bore of your stock sprocket maybe that is causing some issues?

Also, is it possible the cones got moved and put back in a different location when you took the brake arm off?(I'd check to see if the tire / wheel is still centered in the rear wheel stays...If not, maybe that is why it looks like there is an extra 1/4" sticking out on one side.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
I spent some more time and figured it out (2 am isn't too late right? (-; ), It was that dang cap. I ended up taking a Dremel to it and taking off the extra lip. Now it fits, and the tire rides like normal. Next time I'll enlarge the sprocket itself. Thanks for the help Andy