Loss power when hot

GoldenMotor.com

Kinskeys

Jul 13, 2010
Washington, DC
After riding for about 10-15 min. when the motor heats up, I notice a lot less power, when cold I can get to over 35 MPH but once heats up only 18 MPH and if I keep riding even less, anyone know why this would happen?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What oil to gas ratio are you using and what type of oil? You didn't tell us what engine you have but you did post it in the 2 stroke section so we can only assume here.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
GT5A with Opti-2
I'm also an Opti-2 user and based on my experience with it I doubt that it's the culprit.

Have you taken a look at your spark plug color to determine how the engine is running? With Opti you might not see the normal colors suggested (brown to black) Opti seems to give you shades of grey. I like to shoot for a dark grey color. Light grey to almost white will tell you you're too lean. This could be causing an overheated condition but it's not a normal situation.

Make sure your fuel tank cap is venting properly and the choke plate is not vibrating closed. You've probably checked those things but you didn't say.
Does this seem to happen only when you run WOT (wide open throttle) or just normal, partial throttle cruise?

Tom

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
This exact same thing happened to me today! I had this problem intermittently in the past, but it went away. I did not put together when it went away and what I did to my bike.

BUT, last week my pork-and-beans gas tank cracked at the petcock, so I went back to my stock gas tank. Today on the way to Target, I get a severe loss of power! I checked the head bolts since I assumed it was from losing compression (this was the first ride since going to just one head gasket on my Puch head), checked the intake and exhaust mounting nuts, etc. Everything was tight.

On the way home, she ran great! Until about 10 minutes later, loss of power again.

After cruising the forums I saw people suggest the gas tank vent. I popped the gas tank vent, cleaned it off, duct taped the holes on the side, leaving open only the holes on the bottom and the vent hole over the gasket. Blew through the holes on the bottom, nothing.

Instead of getting all fancy, I just drilled a 1/16" hole in the cap. Now she vents like a champ, and I rode around after that and no issue with lost power!

I will come up with a better solution at some point, just glad there was an easy solution to this problem.

dance1