Pedal power alone - MINUS Sparkplug = No worries!?

GoldenMotor.com

StealthInspired

Mar 13, 2012
UK
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I'm enjoying reading through these forums, GREAT info, plus fun too!

Please consider this scenario...

So you are riding along on your MB using pedal power alone, plus you have even physically removed the spark plug, which has been left at home. ;)

So if the Police stop you, do they have any grounds for prosecution? The "engine" is effectively DISABLED, with no ability to provide mechanical power, plus will feel "cold" to the touch, further evidence its not been run/used. Plus you have been riding AS a conventional cycle...

If anything, the engine could just be there for cosmetic purposes?
(oh, and dont forget to drain the petrol tank first - another tell-tale sign).

I know this defeats the purpose of riding a motor "assisted" bicycle, but from a legal perspective, must surely keep you in the clear IF out on public roads!? [shrug].

StealthInspired

Mar 13, 2012
UK
To add, I've not come across many posts on this Forum from UK recipients!? Perhaps this IS due to the fact these bikes are (also) illegal to run on public roads/paths too - hence no-one is doing it here.

Or, this is a niche concept, and there isn't much of a following on this side of the pond. I'm building mine based around a Beach Cruiser bike, from a hobby / educational perspective.

While I do have PRIVATE grounds & paths I can ride it, occasionally it could also be nice to ride further, meaning taking it onto public roads (which brings me back to the Question above). :)

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Read your laws, nothing (non operating engine) makes your bicycle a Motorized Bike.

http://www.thebuzzingclub.co.uk/buzzing.htm

Found this, but not researched....
any vehicle in the UK fitted with an internal combustion engine(petrol or diesel) must be registered and the user must have a licence,tax,insurance etc. and wear an approved helmet.This includes motorised(motorized) bicycles. Basically anything with an engine is legally a moped.These engines you see advertised conveniently forget to mention they are only legal offroad in the UK. Electric bicycles are ok but must be restricted to 14mph and have a power restriction and can only be ridden by 14 year olds up.You can get electric kits that are more powerful, so technically are illegal, but I can't see you getting pulled up with an electric bicycle.

Last edited:

StealthInspired

Mar 13, 2012
UK
Thanks Al.Fisherman, infact that paragraph you quote is familiar (I may have read that not so long ago, while looking into this previously).

Must admit though, I've never seen 1 bike with an engine fitted here in the UK, EVER - perhaps because no-one is silly enough to try it, from an "illegal to ride on the roads" perspective. It appears I might be the only exception.

But I'm going ahead with the build anyway. Would the bike be alot more difficult to pedal conventionally, with the added chain/engine resistence? Would it have any adverse effects on the engine, with it being turned for prolonged periods (ie: a long ride), via pedal power alone?

FWIW, I've just recently picked up an Electra Cruiser. First hurdle, the frame design might not allow for an engine to bolt to it in the normal configuration, as the front chain sprocket/guard are in the way! Arghh - what am I getting myself into! :D

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thanks Al.Fisherman, infact that paragraph you quote is familiar (I may have read that not so long ago, while looking into this previously).

Must admit though, I've never seen 1 bike with an engine fitted here in the UK, EVER - perhaps because no-one is silly enough to try it, from an "illegal to ride on the roads" perspective. It appears I might be the only exception.

But I'm going ahead with the build anyway. Would the bike be alot more difficult to pedal conventionally, with the added chain/engine resistence? Would it have any adverse effects on the engine, with it being turned for prolonged periods (ie: a long ride), via pedal power alone?

FWIW, I've just recently picked up an Electra Cruiser. First hurdle, the frame design might not allow for an engine to bolt to it in the normal configuration, as the front chain sprocket/guard are in the way! Arghh - what am I getting myself into! :D
With the clutch properly adjusted, there won't be too much difference in peddling, but there is some.
As far as mounting a engine higher to clear chain guard, is not a problem. I'm sure that there is enough room. I built this bike for a friend, you will notice that the engine sits high to clear the guard.

StealthInspired

Mar 13, 2012
UK
Hi Ron, that build above looks fantastic - plus very tidy too! :) That's just how I hope my build turns out. Also the Frame looks very similar to an Electra Cruiser (unless it IS a later Electra variant).

My bike, which should arrive this week, is the steel framed Electra Cruiser 1, in satin Black. I went for the steel bike (over the newer aluminium frame) for durability, especially with the added strains that will be associated with adding a motor!

I'm very interested in your custom motor mount, for this frame. Once I get the bike, plus the motor, I'll be able to take exact measurements, so you will be able to build a suitable mount to suit. ;)

Will be great overall, retaining the original chain guard on the bike, plus having the motor / exhaust all facing the 'usual' way. :) Will drop you a PM for more info on the engine mount.

Again, thankyou for your input, all valuable information, at this initial stage of planning. :)

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
As in many states here in the U.S., it appears that the U.K. needs enlightening
as to the environmental, economic, and infrastructural advantages of motored
bicycles.

"bikes don't kill people; cars kill people."

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It boils down to the mood/personality of the cop in question. Recently a local policeman would not allow some guys to even ride their bikes, engines disabled, because they had engines on them. He made them push the bikes out of his jurisdiction. Maybe legal, maybe not but who wants to argue with the man?

Tom