What are the laws in QLD for riding motorised bikes

GoldenMotor.com

arand18

Jan 13, 2012
Brisbane
Hi there im looking at getting a 66cc 2 stroke engine kit for my bike but I need to know the laws in QLD are we allowed to ride them on the rodes on footpaths, do we need a licence, do we need to get them registed. Or do I need to get a 48cc

Thanks for yor help.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
when you buy one, make sure it's a grubee starfire, with iron cylinder. the cylinder will last forever if it is iron. i say this cuz ya can't get them in the states, not epa certified. and you could just ride nice and low-key. in illinois, cops don't stop me. i let my friend ride it once, and he blew a 2-way stop sign and cut off a cop. the cop gave him a stern talk, and i said he won't be riding it for a while!

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You may get away with riding your motorized bike for a while..... But unfortunately all internal combustion engines are illegal on the road or footpath regardless of the capacity. I've been warned twice by police.

If you want a motorized bike in QLD you better make an electric one, like im planning, but an electric bike still must be under 200watts...... i dont plan on sticking to the 200 watt limit, i doubt ill be bothered if its not petrol.

Last edited:

arand18

Jan 13, 2012
Brisbane
You may get away with riding your motorized bike for a while..... But unfortunately all internal combustion engines are illegal on the road or footpath regardless of the capacity. I've been warned twice by police.

If you want a motorized bike in QLD you better make an electric one, like im planning, but an electric bike still must be under 200watts...... i dont plan on sticking to the 200 watt limit, i doubt ill be bothered if its not petrol.
The 2 times you got pulled over on your bike where you on the road or on the foot path, Iv got a friend who was riding and got pulled over becouse he didnt have a helmet on.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah its really annoying becouse it seams in America you can ride them on the roads with out a licence.
Not that it helps you guys much - but this isn't actually true, to the best of my knowledge you do need a valid driver's license in most/all states to operate any motor vehicle on the public roadways, including any form of motorized bicycle.

arand18

Jan 13, 2012
Brisbane
Not that it helps you guys much - but this isn't actually true, to the best of my knowledge you do need a valid driver's license in most/all states to operate any motor vehicle on the public roadways, including any form of motorized bicycle.
Opps sorry my bad.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The 2 times you got pulled over on your bike where you on the road or on the foot path, Iv got a friend who was riding and got pulled over becouse he didnt have a helmet on.
Both times i was pulled over i was on the road, wearing a helmet, one time i was pulled over at night and i had a bright headlight and a rear light. I also had a vintage horn for my bell.

Both times that i was pulled over was on my 98cc Villiers build, which i did get away with riding daily (including past the police station) for about 2 months, but was then pulled over twice within a week by 2 seperate police officers. Both policemen were fairly cool about it, they said they liked my bike but internal combustion engines (ICE) are illegal and if they caught me again they could fine me and confiscate my bike. I checked at the Department of Transport and found out the same thing, ICE are illegal, regardless of their capacity, and doesnt matter where you ride it: footpath or road, both are illegal. ICE had previously been legal but the laws changed a couple of years ago.

Like i said you may get away with it for a while, i rode my 66cc Kroon build for months and was never warned,however that was around a year or more ago so as more police are told to crack down on ICE MB's, its only a matter of time before you are caught. Your choice. Im keeping my ICE bikes for dispaly in my manroom, take them to a car show or 2, and maybe the odd lap around the block.

In QLD you can have an electric bike but it must be under 200 watts.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That blows u need to ride on **** or high water
Yeah it does blow, but ive got a fair amount of work into my bikes and they arent just chinagirl kits on a bought store bike, and although they dont owe me much money id hate to see them confiscated, so unfortunately i choose not to ride on......

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
so there is no way of making it legal either? in America, you can register it as a custom moped or something. and i actually don't need a helmet or license, lucky cuz i don't have a license (taking driver's education next semester). this is only in illinois, california you get stopped for no helmet on a regular bike! the cops around here don't know jack about the laws for these things, so i keep riding. i have no lights, so i take a chance riding at night sometimes.

none of that helps you, so you could make your own super quiet exhaust at the cost of performance. and use side covers and stuff, and make it a hybrid so you can show to the cops that it runs electric. a little far-fetched, but not impossible if you really want to ride.

arand18

Jan 13, 2012
Brisbane
What I dont get is what is the diffrence between a motorised bike and a motorbike I mean why couldnt we just get a motorbike licence and register our bikes and say that it is a motorbike and ride them everywhere.

arand18

Jan 13, 2012
Brisbane
Another thing I dont get is In austrlia in QLD there are these chopper tours that you can go and all they are is a chopper frame with a 50cc engine in it I think it might be 2 stroke, they are basically the same as some people have built.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A motorbike has a VIN number, im not sure if you could get a motorized bike registered, im not 100% sure, but even if you could you would then need chain guards, blinkers, brake and tail light, full wheel guards front and rear, DOT approved tyres not to mention you would have to pay rego, would require a license, DOT helmet. Would have to follow ALL road rules and not be permitted on footpaths. And all that for a bike thats lucky to do the speed limit. Youd be better off buying a moped...... not what you wanna hear but thats what its like in QLD, ive been thinking about this topic for a long time now....

Or if you have the skills you could buy an old moped, register it, then cut it up using the VIN number and make a bike with the moped motor or find something better..... ive considered this and making a full fendered boardtrack bike but i figure electric will be easier and i will be allowed on the road and also the footpath, providing you ride with care. A big plus for me with the electric is i plan to use it to commute to work, when i encounter traffic i will legally be allowed to pass the stationary traffic on either the shoulder or footpath, whereas if i had a moped or motorcycle it would be illegal for me to pass.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer to ride an ICE bike but I wanna ride a lot and I don't want fines or my bike confiscated, so electric makes sense for me..... They can still be a badass ride. There's a guy called Aussiejester from Perth that's very knowledgable and his bike is way too cool, I'll post a link later as I'm on my phone ATM.... Or just go to YouTube and search Aussiejester and you will find his videos

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia
The laws are not the same in all Australian states.Check with your Roads and Traffic authority.

In NSW the law states the bike must be no more than 200 watts for either ICE or electric.

Don't count I what you read on any web page.A lot of them are wrong.Let your fingers do the walking.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
They are definitely illegal.... The police said so..... The QLD department of transport Website also says "internal combustion engines are illegal"...... And I went into the QLD department of teansport and asked for their rules: same answer, ICE are illegal and electric bikes must be under 200 watts.

But I agree with pedalpower, check for yourself.