Law for Washigton riders

GoldenMotor.com

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Even though there are a multitude of motorized bikes in Washigton if you do not have it registered as a moped , what you are riding is illegal. under WA guidlines Moterized Bikes fall under the catagory of being a moped or close enough to the criteria to be classed as a moped. Also it is mandatory that anyone riding a moped MUST have a valid drivers license.
Even though you have not been stopped yet by the police does not meen that its not going to happen. All it takes is one bored rookie thats out to save the world from MB. I rode all summer seing many state patrol and local cops without a problem ,then i ran across the rookie who is taking the law to the letter. I was told if i was seen again riding i would be ticketed and bike impounded. I dont have a license since i am visually disabled just enough to not pass the vision test. Even still ,it would be illegal since it is not registered as a moped. And if your caught riding and your license is suspended or have DUI you will be arrested, as cited to me by the police.
So i just thought i would try and inform riders in Washigton.
Beware the laws here really S**k compared to other states.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Even though there are a multitude of motorized bikes in Washigton if you do not have it registered as a moped , what you are riding is illegal. under WA guidlines Moterized Bikes fall under the catagory of being a moped or close enough to the criteria to be classed as a moped. Also it is mandatory that anyone riding a moped MUST have a valid drivers license.
Even though you have not been stopped yet by the police does not meen that its not going to happen. All it takes is one bored rookie thats out to save the world from MB. I rode all summer seing many state patrol and local cops without a problem ,then i ran across the rookie who is taking the law to the letter. I was told if i was seen again riding i would be ticketed and bike impounded. I dont have a license since i am visually disabled just enough to not pass the vision test. Even still ,it would be illegal since it is not registered as a moped. And if your caught riding and your license is suspended or have DUI you will be arrested, as cited to me by the police.
So i just thought i would try and inform riders in Washigton.
Beware the laws here really S**k compared to other states.
I just heard from a friend today in WA who confirms what you wrote. His understanding is to make way for some recent changes in the statutes to fit eBikes in, MABs with ICEs got relegated to the moped category requiring license and registration and inspection plus requiring the following:

Equipment Requirements
 2-3 wheels (RCW 46.04.304)
 Electric or liquid fuel motor (cylinder displacement of less than
50cc, no more than 2 brake horsepower) (RCW 46.04.304)
 Must meet FMVSS for motor -driven cycle (RCW 46.61.720)
which requires:
o Two mirrors CFR 571.111 (RCW 46.37.530 and 46.37.539)
o Brakes CFR 571.122 (RCW 46.37.527)
o Controls CFR 571.123
o Head light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.523-524)
o Tail light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.050)
o Brake light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.525 & 070)
o License plate light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.050 and
RCW 46.16.240)
o Red reflector to the rear CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.525)
o Tires CFR 571.119 & 120 (RCW 46.37.539)
o Horn (RCW 46.37.539)
o Muffler (RCW 46.37.539)
 The operator and any passenger are required to wear a USDOT
approved helmet meeting the requirements outlined in 49 CFR
Windshield or eye protection (RCW 46.37.539)

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/equipmt/moped.pdf

Last edited:

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Yep, i worte a letter to the states attourney, and got no help there. Next i tried the state patrol and got that same list of stuff you posted. they also stated that ANYTHING with a internal combustion engine would at least be classed as a moped at the minimum.
To get a bicycle to meet the equipment standards would almost be impossible.
since my run-in with the law my mb now sits in the garage, This town is to small not to be spotted. All i can say to those in WA who are still riding is...enjoy it while your still getting away with it.
Unless someone knows how to get the law changed, WA is a dead state for MB's

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
A bicycle does not meet the definition of a MOPED plain and simple.Ive done my research here in WA state and as long as its under 49ccs your golden.Besides ive rode past bike police, state police and border patrol up near blaine and in Bellingham and they just dont give a sh**.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
You are wrong, i did the research. Anything in WA with an internal combustion engine no mater what the cc has to be registered at the minimum as a moped. It requires all the equipment that a moped is reqiured to have and a DL is required. Contact the State Patrol and ask them ,i have and that was there response. I to had ridden for months had passed many shariffs and state patrol officers and thought i was okay untill a local cop wanted to pull his athority. The only reason you are not being hasseled is because the police in your area are CHOOSING TO LOOK THE OTHER WAY.
Think what you want to think, but tecnically in WA they ARE illegal unless they are registered. The member 2 posts up (Happyvalley) Posted the requirments that the bike must have. Nobody is trying to BS you, The law is the law here and if the police want to enforce it there will be nothing you can do about it. Just consideryourself lucky that your local police "up near blaine and in Bellingham and they just dont give a sh**. "

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The thing to remember fella's is that nothing is ever illegal until they catch you at it.

Then you can count on it unraveling like 5 feet of cheap rope and not for your benefit.

Steve.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
I was stopped but not ticketed and was informed of the law. I bit my tounge with the cop though not believing what he was trying to tell me. So i peddled around the block fired the bike up and hauled ass home. Then came weeks of researching, i was not going to give up without a fight. In the end YES they are illegal unless they are registered as mopeds and a DL is required. THere is no way around this issue.
Anybody in WA who thinks different is just missinformed. And fasteddy is right in saying its only illegal if your caught. So if your riding in WA, that is the rule your riding by, unfortunatly.
This thread is just to INFORM , misinformed WA. riders
Good luck and God speed.....

Last edited:

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
This is what i got as a reply from the DMV:
Subject: RE: Do i need a title and license?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:46:51 -0800
To: richirich1113
Good Morning,

We do not title or registered the bicycle. You will need to contact Washington state patrol to see if the vehicle is street legal. The phone number is 360-596-4017. If you respond to this email, please include the entire email string. If you have any questions or need additional assistance please feel free to email or
contact our office at 360-902-3770 option 5
Have a great day.
Thank You,
Rachel
Customer Service Center
Department of Licensing
360-902-3770 option 5
Doing your part in keeping “WashingtonGreen!” Sign up for email renewal notification.
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 4:20 AM
To: DOL INT Titles
Subject: Do i need a title and licence?
I own a 48cc motor- assisted bicycle and am trying to find out if I need to register and license it in the state of Washington?

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
This is what I recieved from WA state patrol equipment:
To: Richard
November 28, 2011
This is in response to your e-mail.
The answer to your question depends on the type of motor on the bicycle.
If the motor is electrically powered, you are correct, you should be fine operating the vehicle if it meets all of the equipment requirements for a bicycle to be on the roadway and follows all the appropriate rules of the road.
If however the motor is gas powered, it would be classified as either a moped or motorcycle depending on the size of the engine and the speed it can obtain. If the engine is larger than 50cc OR the vehicle can travel faster than 35 mph then it would be considered a motorcycle and the operator would be required to have a valid motorcycle endorsement. If the engine size is less than 50cc and the vehicle travels less than 35 mph, then it is considered a moped and the operator would have to have a valid drivers license. In either case a bicycle with a gas engine would have to be licensed and have the proper lighting, mirrors etc. in order to legally operate on the public roadway.
Attached for your convenience are some documents that outline the definition and requirements for the classification of vehicles described above for your convenience.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Sincerely,
Equipment
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 9:48 AM
To: Equipment
Subject: FW: Do i need a title and license?
Hello,
Enclosed is a letter from the DOL saying that they dont register bicycles. Would i be right to assume then if my motor-assisted bicycle has the proper bicycle safty equipment, i am wearing a helmet and not exceeding 20mph that i would be ok then to be riding? I feel as though i should be all right but do not want to get myself in trouble.
Thank you,

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
And this is what is reqiured to register the bike as a moped, this came as a PDF from the WASP:
exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower
(developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable
of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground.
Use
May not be operated on a bicycle path or trail, bikeway, equestrian trail, or hiking or recreational
trail (RCW 46.61.710)
Cannot be ridden on sidewalks (RCW 46.61.710)
Cannot be operated on fully controlled limited access highway (RCW 46.61.710)
May park in valid moped (MP) parking (WAC 504-15-240)
License
Valid Drivers License needed (RCW 46.20.500)
Must be registered and display a valid license plate (RCW 46.16.630)
Insurance not required
Requirements
2-3 wheels (RCW 46.04.304)
Electric or liquid fuel motor (cylinder displacement of less than 50cc, no more than 2 brake
horsepower) (RCW 46.04.304)
Cannot travel more than 30 mph (RCW 46.04.304)
Must meet FMVSS for motor-driven cycle (RCW 46.61.720) which requires:
two mirrors CFR 571.111 (RCW 46.37.527)
brakes CFR 571.122 (RCW 46.37.527)
controls CFR 571.123
head light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.523-524)
tail light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.050)
brake light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.525 & 070)
license plate light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.050 and 46.16.240)
red reflector to the rear CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.525)
tires CFR 571.119 & 120 (RCW 46.37.539)
horn (RCW 46.37.539)
muffler (RCW 46.37.539)
mirrors (RCW 46.37.539)
The operator and any passenger are required to wear a USDOT approved helmet meeting the
requirements outlined in 49 CFR 571.218 (RCW 46.37.530).
Windshield or eye protection (RCW 46.37.539)
Note: While we have tried to compile a complete listing of laws regarding this type of vehicle,
additional requirements may apply. To read additional law requirements please visit the
Washington State legislative Web site at Laws and Agency Rules
Examples:

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
I did alot of research looking thru all the RCW's and WAC's , I was not just going to give up riding my bike without doing everything i could to find if it was really illegal, and in conclusion -Technically in washigton if its not registered and you dont have a DL you ARE riding illegally. Most of WA is allowing them and just looking the other way. If you get pulled over though and think you want to argue with the officer about the legality, You will lose.
The above two posts are from the DOL and WASP they are the actuall emails to them and their reponses.
You hear people saying this and that about it being legal and under 50cc its okay , no licence . Here in WA that is all BS.
So if its not registered ,what your riding is ILLEGAL.
You might never be pulled over (i hope you never do) but there is always that chance ,so at least now you know what to expect.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
My mistake about ICE foot scooters, but as far as bicycles, they are.WA RCW's say motorized foot scooters are legal but alot of city ordenance have banned them from the city streets. But isnt it rediculous that a gas powered foot scooter is legal but a bicycle is not. This state is absurd.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
from where i look at it, gubment should be there to see that WE, the PEOPLE, prosper and do well in our lives.
if they are not doing so well at that, perhaps WE could step into the courtroom and advise them just how things should be, so we could lead happy lives and be prosperous.

ain't no big thang to go to court.
that fella in the blak robe is really just a munyciple clerk what werks fer U!

tell him how it is!

I DO.

Best
rc

when they drag me into the cort I'm gonna tell em I got no muny and bilt my mab to be BELOW THE RADAR and NOT subject 2 the tax scams and they shuld leve me alone.

lol
will post wa hapenz...

:)

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Chriscraft, what are you asking me?Did you read my posts up a few. A bicycle is a bicycle but when you add an ICE motor it then becomes a MOPED.
It no longer then is classified as a bicycle.