Tricycle maintanence.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Almost three years ago now I built up my Hercules tricycle from a brand new Indian built Hercules Ladies Heavyweight Roadster bicycle and a custom tricycle conversion kit. I also fitted up an electric hub motor wheel running on 24 volts provided by two SLA batteries. Small detail touches included a Bosch bicycle headlamp and a Miller dynamo. The bulb horn is just a Chinese made accessory; - works well though :)

My tricycle gave me completely reliable service until the batteries finally died. So I purchased a new pair of batteries and was about to carry out some well needed maintanence only I became ill and my poor old Hercules was left sitting out in the Winter rain and weather. When I was finally well enough to rescue it I was horrified when I saw what the weather had done to my lovely tricycle. Rusty blistered chrome, faded paintwork, flat tyres....and the Brooks leather saddle was horribly twisted up and was an awful mess.
It was while I was cleaning my Hercules this afternoon that I realised that it would be a fair old piece of work to restore it to its former glory again. But if I was to simply clean it up in a way that enhanced its Winter ruin into a nice servicable patina of use then I could make a positive out of a negative.
I actually own a genuine English Ladies Hercules that is almost sixty years young and is very like the 'modern' Indian Hercules in many details. Unfortunately the quality of the fasteners and the chrome plate is nothing like as good on the Indian bicycle.
Due to its much better quality original paint and platework my English Hercules has a wonderful patina of use that I would never ever try to change because if it took sixty years to look the way it does why mess with success.
After polishing my tricycle's Winter rusted chrome with brass wire wool and an old fashioned soft wax polish things started to look better. The local emporium sells cheap toothbrush sized brass wire brushes and these made the coil springs on the Brooks saddle and the fork braces lose their rust flakes nice and quickly. Working the wax into the now clean exposed metal certainly made an improvement, - it's never going to look new again, but that patina has to start somewhere.

Wetting down the leather saddle and binding it tightly helped to get it back into shape. Dubbin will be on the grocery list this coming week and hopefully I'll be able to get the saddle back into a sitable condition again. If I get a spare moment tomorrow I'll take some photos and post them so you can see what I'm about.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I like that a lot. I have an electric friction drive sitting around that would do well on one of those. I might give it a try on that little trike with no pedals I built before I chop it up for parts.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice trike, Intrepid !
..yah, the WX doesn't do 'em any good at all. :-(
Best
rc

What is your range with new batteries?

Tourezrick

Nov 1, 2011
Chicaga
I remember corresponding with you on another forum a few years back. The Hercules and N.Z. address jogged my memory. Nothing, short of fire can damage a good Brooks saddle and a well made, sturdy trike. So, what's a little rain to a reliable and well made trike? It is getting on to be summer down under, so you should be feeling better and get a little spring back into your pedaling!

Enjoy that trike and summer!

Tourezrick

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Bother, - I wrote a lengthy and comprehensive reply and then my computer froze up and I lost it :(

The new batteries are 20Ah whereas the old ones were 17Ah, but they fit into the battery carriers just fine which is good because I didn't want to have replace them. The country township where I live isn't exactly huge or sprawling so batteries this size work out fine as my tricycle is only used for local journeys. Basically I can easily get a day's worth of normal running about doing shopping or hauling bags of compost back from the garden centre & etc. Trips are short, but loads are heavy and my very traditional tricycle is perfect for the job. Delta trikes rule for utility work :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I remember corresponding with you on another forum a few years back. The Hercules and N.Z. address jogged my memory. Nothing, short of fire can damage a good Brooks saddle and a well made, sturdy trike. So, what's a little rain to a reliable and well made trike? It is getting on to be summer down under, so you should be feeling better and get a little spring back into your pedaling!

Enjoy that trike and summer!

Tourezrick
Hi there, - yes me and my tricycle have been together for a while now :)

What happened with the Brooks Supreme saddle was that it got good and soaked during our Winter wet season and then when we got a patch of warm weather it became distorted as it dried out unevenly in the sun. Wetting it again and then binding it back into shape so it could dry out more slowly pretty much did the trick.