Carb Problem??

GoldenMotor.com

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Alright so I have a secondhand bike with a Skyhawk 66cc on it and a NT carb...

trouble is, the engine keeps bogging down once I get up to about 20mph.
I've adjusted the throttle e-clip, i can't think of what else it could be....

PLEASE HELP!
:-||

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Is it bogging like its running out of fuel or like it getting to much fuel? If its a lean bogging then your carb is most likely dirty, or the float level is to low or you could have a vacuum leak around the intake. If its a over rich bogging then again it could be a float issue. Try those out and see if it does anything.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Try taking the gas cap off and if it fixes the issue, drill a hole just under the top of the gas cap's flange on the side.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
do a plug chop in the range where the bike isnt running well and tell us what the condition of the plug is... Lean or rich could both cause your problem, you need to know what your condition is before you can go about correcting it...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Yes plug chop, what is that? I've never heard of plug chop before, somehow it dosn't sound as good as pork chop.:)
warm up the bike, while riding in the problem range simultaneously pull in the clutch, release the throttle and hold the kill switch so the motor dies. Let the motor cool before you pull the plug and inspect to see what it looks like.
Here is a good general reference to compare your plug to and try to determine what condition your dealing with....
Spark Plugs

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
So I have a new problem with this POS carb...
its now leaking fuel like a motherfu****, out of the air filter.

HELP?!
So you adjusted the float?
With just an old style NT carb on a 66 even with the needle clip set all the way down (rich as it gets) that little carb can't move enough fuel/air for the motor, they were designed for a 48cc.

The 'Speed' carb was the original solution to the 66cc motor fuel starvation problem but the new kits come with a CNS whish works much better on a 66c.

The new kits also ship a CNS for the 48cc kits which is just flat too much so they won't run with a crap an at the 'clip all the up' leanest setting.

Just swap your NT to someone with a new 48 for their CNS.
Two problems solved in one.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
So I have a new problem with this POS carb...
its now leaking fuel like a motherfu****, out of the air filter.

HELP?!
You might want to inspect and adjust your float, if that dont work adjust your float... Did I mention you should adjust your float? LOL

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Yes, adjusting your float means millimeters in each adjustment. NT carb floats are very nitpicky about that. And dude listen, to be honest if your having that much trouble go to Dax and get the RT carb and extra jets and the cable, altogether it's about 40-45 bucks or something like that. Believe me you won't regret it. I had the NT carb it had really good power and everything but no matter what I did with it the dumb thing just would not idle, so I got the CNS in hopes of a better solution and had problem after problem after problem with it, so finally I got the RT carb. No 4stroking, awesome power, never floods, no adjusting needed other than swapping jets, and it will idle till the tank runs dry. The best carb ever.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Yes, adjusting your float means millimeters in each adjustment. NT carb floats are very nitpicky about that. And dude listen, to be honest if your having that much trouble go to Dax and get the RT carb and extra jets and the cable, altogether it's about 40-45 bucks or something like that. Believe me you won't regret it. I had the NT carb it had really good power and everything but no matter what I did with it the dumb thing just would not idle, so I got the CNS in hopes of a better solution and had problem after problem after problem with it, so finally I got the RT carb. No 4stroking, awesome power, never floods, no adjusting needed other than swapping jets, and it will idle till the tank runs dry. The best carb ever.
so I did a lil research on the RT carb, it says like F50, F60, and F80... will it work on my skyhawk 66?