Will A Motor Fit My Frame?

GoldenMotor.com

magoo34

Jul 31, 2011
United States
Hey guys,
I was wondering if a motor will fit on my frame, which seems to be a bit different than most frames with motors.

I attached a picture which kind of sucks, but I'll try to describe it: basically instead of the top bar of the frame being parallel to the ground, it is more so parallel to the bottom frame, and therefore the space where the motor would go is much smaller.

Any help would be appreciated.
-B

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'll put in my 2cents...

Of course it could be done.

...but why not get a cheapie bike at the thrift store, a yardsale, or craigslist that is easily adapted for power assist and you can use the best parts off your old favorite bike in the mix?

Best
rc

magoo34

Jul 31, 2011
United States
Thanks for your input rustycase. The only problem is that the motor itself is about putting me over my budget, and I'm a bit pressed for time. Would putting the motor on that bike cause any serious problems? I plan on riding it for 12 days straight by the way.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh, M... that's a tough bill to fill.
Hopefully someone will be along shortly who has installed one in a step-through frame. I have not.

I don't want to seem negative, but am unable to picture this install resulting in 12 days of continuous, trouble-free operation.

A rack mount friction drive from one of the MB vendors is probably your best option and could end up the most reliable.
Step through frames are generally not as strong as those with a top bar... got a few of them here in the pile that are bent mid-way down the seat post just before it meets the upper frame tube.

Someone was just speaking of the Hongdu Solex sold by BGF... that might be an option for you, also.

Good luck, M!
rc

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
If you are going for an in-frame kit,then you got a ton of work ahead of you. The quick and easy route would be a rear engine mount over the back tire. You really need a different frame if you want to mount an engine in the frame like most everyone else does. sorry for the bad news but if you are on a tight budget,then that`s the wrong bike.
Donb4103

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
actually there are advantages to using a womens frame.the engine will sit higher than the pedals so you could use a pull start 2 stroke very easy and get a rear rack mount gas tank from bgf on ebay.123ez

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
your right sir.guess we will be moving on to a more productive thread then.it just keeps popping up in my e mail thats all.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
your right sir.guess we will be moving on to a more productive thread then.it just keeps popping up in my e mail thats all.
You can go into your user control panel and select or deselect if you want to be notified by email about active threads. You can unsubscribe from those that you are no longer interested in.
Tom